Latest Updates:
Normal Topic fritz 10 datbase files (Read 330 times)
maxcy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: fritz 10 datbase files
Reply #2 - 02/21/24 at 15:32:09
Post Tools
I did a 'save as' and when I chose this option in the menu, a choice of filenames shows up with the current filename highlighted, so I left the current file name and clicked OK to save the file. I've done this very same process many times in other GUIs and in every case the original file was modified as expected! I will go back into the DB to see if there are duplicate  copies!

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: fritz 10 datbase files
Reply #1 - 02/21/24 at 05:31:46
Post Tools
Not specifically about Fritz, but most chess GUIs do like this:
  1. Save  :
    Overwrite the existing game in the current database with your changes. This sounds like what you want, and I do this in an actual database format -- ChessBase (and Fritz), Chess Assistant, Scid -- but I never do this in a PGN-format database because it frequently results in a broken game.
  2. Save As AND you choose an existing database :
    Append the game to the end of the database -- usually, but some GUIs will ask you what you want to do. So -- usually -- now you would have a double: the old game in the original position and the changed game at the end. This is how I do it with PGN-format databases, then later it's on me to remove the double.
  3. Save As AND you choose a non-existing database :
    Create a new database with just the one game.

You did the second option, so one thing to check is if you have any doubles at the end of the database. Then you can check one of the other options to see whether one of them will do what you want. I can't check myself because I have only Fritz 6 and it's not installed on any of my current PCs.

IP Logged

maxcy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

fritz 10 datbase files
02/20/24 at 15:59:35
Post Tools
I created several endgame DBs from the Batsford books series. I archived the DBs and opened 1 of them in another computer using Fritz 10. Upon looking a some of the examples I noted that a few errors were in these examples. So I changed the errors and in some cases added in extra branches to the code using the Fritz engine.  Then I tried to save this newer version using 'save as' in the file menu!  The original file name pops up so I figured I would over write the file by using the original file name to save the modifications. Then I closed out the example and then reopened it to see if the changes took effect. No matter what I do, the original unchanged DB from the archive remains! This should not be a problem because I'm using an older Fritz, I think.  Does anyone know how to make changes to a Fritz DB and actually save the changes to the DB file?

D

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo