Latest Updates:
Normal Topic 2024 Colle Rep? Best/Most Recent Books, Vids? (Read 638 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: 2024 Colle Rep? Best/Most Recent Books, Vids?
Reply #7 - 05/03/24 at 17:55:48
Post Tools
That particular sort of 4. e3 QID position still reminds me of a game Lombardy-Keene, which appears here with Keene's old notes.
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1071420

IP Logged

FreeRepublic
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 05/03/24 at 17:24:18
Post Tools
It's a very interesting opening. It reminds me of 4e3 against the Queen's Indian defense. Transposition between the two is possible if both sides cooperate:

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 b6 4. e3 Bb7 5. Bd3 d5 6. O-O Bd6 7. b3 O-O 8. Bb2

1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. e3 e6 4. Bd3 Bd6 5. b3 O-O 6. Bb2 b6 7. O-O Bb7 8. c4

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #5 - 05/01/24 at 12:27:41
Post Tools
Thx, Pawnpusher!

I went with Summerscale's "Killer Opening". AOC's advice was very detailed and the review he linked to made it clear that if you're serious about the Colle and want video, then the video being reviewed was just the beginning. In all, 5 different videos at about 30 euros each (3 by Miller on the Colle, the Torre, and the London and 2 on 1.d4 and c4. by Pert). But "Killer Opening" offers the opportunity to just get my feet wet and see if it is interesting while still emphasizing the Colle-Zukertort. However, the are 2 editions of that book and some reviewers felt the 2nd one, at 50 pages longer, left them feeling a little lost; they felt the 1st gave a better overview. Ordered the 2nd edition. Then, E-bay to the rescue, got a 1st ed. as well for 7 bucks. We'll see.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 05/01/24 at 10:44:17
Post Tools
Bogdanovich has done a book on the Colle/Zukertort that is worth a try.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #3 - 04/30/24 at 12:50:20
Post Tools
Thank you both for your helpful replies.

IP Logged

whatteaux

Reply #2 - 04/29/24 at 00:03:50
Post Tools
There's also Starting Out: d-Pawn Attacks by Palliser (Everyman) and A Killer Chess Opening Repertoire by Summerscale & Johnsen (Gambit).  Both cover the Colle-Zukertort (better than the -Koltanowsi, IMO) and, against ...g6, the Barry & 150 attacks.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #1 - 04/28/24 at 21:43:24
Post Tools
cathexis wrote on 04/28/24 at 17:42:42:
What is the current/2024 standing of the Colle?

Same as the 2004 standing, same as the 1984/1964/etc. standing -- solid and playable, and even better as a second opening than as the main one. But it's not a complete "system". Notably against a ...g6 setup you probably will want to play something else, but also there are some other wrinkles where white might wish to deviate from the triangle setup.

I don't think it's at all necessary to study the latest and greatest theory. For a novice who doesn't know anything about this opening, Chernev (1957) Logical Chess: Move by Move (redone in algebraic by Batsford) is a good way to get the feet wet. For a club player wanting a repertoire the Koltanowski book (various editions) Colle System is decent. Against 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 Koltanowski advocates 3.g3 which is good but not exactly low theory.

If you simply must have something more recent, Everyman has three titles. These books have slightly different emphases and one or more might be what you are looking for:
  • Palliser (2007) Starting Out: The Colle. Doesn't cover 1...Nf6 at all.
  • Lakdawala (2013) The Colle: Move by Move. Seems slightly vulnerable against ...g6 setups.
  • Lakdawals (2016) First Steps: The Colle and London Systems. Colle against ...d5 and London against ...Nf6 without ...d5.

RE the Zukertort: Lakdawala covers the Koltanowski, whereas Palliser covers both Koltanowski and Zukertort. Williams (2019) The Colle-Koltanowski System (DVD) is actually about the Zukertort. Davide Nastasio did a good review which goes a bit further and mentions some other resources. https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-colle-koltanowski-system

Nowadays after 1.Nf3 a very popular reply (at least in black repertoire books) is 1...d5, so this might be a way to steer towards the Colle with 2.d4. And the so-called Keymer variation, 1.Nf3 d5 2.e3, could also be a clever move-order, provided you are not playing white in "system" mode. Zukertort sometimes used to begin with 1.e3!?, although these days it practically begs black to reply 1...g6!. Finally, I have occasionally reached the Colle by starting 1.c3!? (or 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 c5 3.c3!?). The Saragossa Opening can be surprisingly effective against club players with a too-narrow black repertoire when they haven't completely thought out how their 1.e4 reply meshes with their 1.d4 one.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

2024 Colle Rep? Best/Most Recent Books, Vids?
04/28/24 at 17:42:42
Post Tools
Greetings,

As a novice I have avoided "systems" as I feel 1.e4 offers plenty of learning opportunities. But maybe having a system as a back-up might work for white. Just glancing at it, the Colle seems a safe route out of the opening and looking towards the mid-game - if I got that right. From reading some of the older threads it seems the Colle rep is solid, but drawish, and for every chance it gives to white, it yields similar to black. Also, never seen on GM levels? Not sure why, but I feel more inclined to the Colle than the London. Given all that: What is the current/2024 standing of the Colle? Would you recommend best books, vids, courses (that don't require a sub first)?

Please accept my thanks in advance,

cathexis/Andrew

[Edit: the Zukertort seemed a fav in older threads. Still so?]

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo