Latest Updates:
Normal Topic John Watson's books of the English (Read 2915 times)
woolog
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: John Watson's books of the English
Reply #7 - 01/17/05 at 05:55:17
Post Tools
full clarification -

There are 4 volumes but Hardinge Simpole are re-issuing the first and second edition of the volume on the Symmetrical English as separate volumes.

For extra confusion, volumes 1-4 are in Descriptive, but the last is in Algebraic!

Vol 3 - is 1 ... P-QB4
Vol 5 - is 1 ... c5 (1988)

What is the difference between the two editions (besides notation)?  vol 3 appears much longer

« Last Edit: 01/17/05 at 13:30:28 by woolog »  

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #6 - 01/16/05 at 22:49:38
Post Tools
Quote:
Buy, buy, buy. 'The best opening books I've ever seen' - Jan Timman.

There are a very few lines of course where theory has exploded and the coverage from 25 years ago is inadequate, although the English being what it is this is more a question of ideas for one side or the other not having been discovered yet than tactical refutations of what is written. But for books which combine an overview of (OK, 1980's) theory, general instruction and explanation, and new ideas, you cannot beat them. The 1....e5 one is particularly good, or perhaps I am just biased - it was the first one out and one of my first opening books, and led me directly to a bad 1 c4 habit which lasted for many years.

There were only four volumes in my day, although I think there was a second edition of the Symmetrical one.

Yeah, there are many old books that are not so good for theory any more, but very good for more general ideas of how to play.  Uhlmann's "Winning with the French" is an example.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 01/15/05 at 22:18:14
Post Tools
In my experience the excellent old books are still very useful. The objection that they are old fashioned is not very valid anymore, because there are databases to keep your knowledge actual.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

John Cox

Reply #4 - 01/15/05 at 14:14:57
Post Tools
Buy, buy, buy. 'The best opening books I've ever seen' - Jan Timman.

There are a very few lines of course where theory has exploded and the coverage from 25 years ago is inadequate, although the English being what it is this is more a question of ideas for one side or the other not having been discovered yet than tactical refutations of what is written. But for books which combine an overview of (OK, 1980's) theory, general instruction and explanation, and new ideas, you cannot beat them. The 1....e5 one is particularly good, or perhaps I am just biased - it was the first one out and one of my first opening books, and led me directly to a bad 1 c4 habit which lasted for many years.

There were only four volumes in my day, although I think there was a second edition of the Symmetrical one.

IP Logged

Klick
God Member

Reply #3 - 01/15/05 at 05:25:44
Post Tools
This is interesting to read.

I found Tony Kosten`s book on the English very good as an introduction to the English, but have since then come to lose confidence in several of the lines he suggests.

I find the books by Carsten Hansen quite "messy" in the sense that it can be quite difficult to find the lines you are searching for.

I tried to search on Amazon for reviews of Watsons books, but couldn`t find any. Does anyone out there own any of Watson`s books and can tell us a little more about them?

There just isn't enough televised chess - DAVID LETTERMAN

IP Logged

woolog
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 01/14/05 at 11:02:42
Post Tools
http://www.hardingesimpole.co.uk/series/english.htm

here's the reference for those interested

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #1 - 01/14/05 at 09:57:24
Post Tools
I remember reading Watson's review of Carsten Hansen's Book on the Symmetrical English, and he said that he was surprised at how little had changed, and that many of his conclusions were still valid today.

As regards the other variations of the English, they are probably not as static.

IP Logged

woolog
YaBB Newbies

John Watson's books of the English
01/14/05 at 09:45:05
Post Tools
Hardinge Simpole have just re-issued all 5 volumes of John Watson's work on the English from the late seventies - as recommended in Tony's Review section of Flank OPenings site. 

They're in Descriptive.  Is it still worth looking at (acquiring) these books 25 years later?  Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo