Latest Updates:
Normal Topic KIA with 1.Nf3 (Read 3566 times)
Nietzsche

Huggy Bear is coming.
You'd better run.

Re: KIA with 1.Nf3
Reply #6 - 03/05/08 at 20:10:05
Post Tools
I thought I should mention that Nigel Davies has a new DVD on the KIA.
And I second the recommendation of the Emms book. Its quite good.

Peace,
Nietzsche

"By some ardent enthusiasts Chess has been elevated into a science or an art. It is neither; but its principal characteristic seems to be what human nature mostly delights in - a fight." - Em. Lasker

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 03/03/08 at 23:30:42
Post Tools
Williams recommends either 7...e5 or 6...Nc6 7.e4 fxe4 8.dxe4 Qe8. I also opine differently from ECO on that Vaisser-Ochoa game. After 11...Bg4 iso 11...Qh5 I don't see any reason why Black should be worse.
In case of 6.Nc3 there is Williams' suggestion 6...Bb4, though 6...d6 is playable as well. Black should not exchange voluntarily (7...fxe4?!) exactly because of Nd5 and c4, after which Be7 resembles a pawn. With the pawns still on d3 and f5 Black simply has ...c6.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/01/08 at 18:08:36
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 03/01/08 at 16:48:19:
The KIA is not a good idea against the Iljin-Zjenevsky setup: 1...e6; 2...f5; 3...Nf6; 4...Be7; 5...0-0 and 6...d6.

I notice that ECO gives that as slightly better for White based on Vaisser-Ochoa, Palma de Mallorca 1989, but I might have thought that after 1. Nf3 f5 2. g3 Nf6 3. Bg2 e6 4. 0-0 Be7 5. d3 0-0 6. Nbd2 d6 7. e4 Black shouldn't play 7...fe, as Ochoa did.  This reminds me somewhat of a game of mine which went 6. Nc3 d6 7. e4 fe 8. de e5 9. Nd5 (basically preparing for a future c4-c5).

A couple of ways White can encounter disaster in the KIA:  (1)  by not being aware that a quick Nbd2, Re1 and e4 against the New York/London loses a pawn; (2)  not understanding how to play against the Botvinnik system (e.g. White might make a few generic King's Indianish moves and find himself getting rolled up on the kingside by means of ...f5 and ...f4).

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #3 - 03/01/08 at 17:57:04
Post Tools
Get Starting Out: KIA, the differences between getting a KIA via 1. Nf3 or 1. e4 are covered there and is probalby most up to date of the plethora of KIA books (hmm, I reckon I must have them all  Wink). New DVD by Nigel Davies covers the basics too, if you like that format.

For me, I check out what my opponent plays to decide which order to use, or sometimes it depends on my mood, or how booked up I am for say, a Lopez - 1. e4 e5 and KIA makes less sense, although some players have tried it (including me), probably ending up in some reversed Pirc.

1. e4 gives your opponent more opportunity to play something rubbish.

With Nf3 you have to face the London System (d5/c6/Bf5), Capablanca System (d5/c6/Bg4 - although some lines of this can come via a Caro-Kann), the Dutch, and are more likely to get a Reveresd KID set up (which with 1. e4 only comes via a Nc6 Sicilian).

With 1. e4, you have to handle 1. ...d5, and have something for 1. ...e5. You can play it against most of the rest, although playing d3 against the Alekhine seems somewhat of a waste  Wink  

I'd recommend that if you are going to use the KIA, you use it via both 1. e4 and 1. Nf3, have something prepped for systems where it is less effective, and use it as a filler whilst you build up your repetoire.

Use the KIA wisely, and it can be a good fallback repetoire for times when you just don't feel like keeping up with all that theory!

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 03/01/08 at 16:48:19
Post Tools
The KIA is not a good idea against the Iljin-Zjenevsky setup: 1...e6; 2...f5; 3...Nf6; 4...Be7; 5...0-0 and 6...d6.
You'd rather play x.d4 and y.c4 here.
Also the New York Defence (a reversed London) is very solid.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #1 - 03/01/08 at 06:59:23
Post Tools
Normal enough.
Too many '?'s.
« Last Edit: 03/01/08 at 09:15:18 by Bibs »  

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

KIA with 1.Nf3
03/01/08 at 06:02:37
Post Tools
Hi All.
what do people think about playing the KIA starting with 1.Nf3???
thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo