Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Wijk aan Zee - Leningrad (Read 3260 times)
chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Re: Wijk aan Zee - Leningrad
Reply #2 - 01/16/15 at 09:23:47
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 01/15/15 at 23:29:18:
Followers of the Tata tournament in the Netherlands will have noted that both Carlsen and Caruana have played the Leningrad, but to no avail, both losing to Polish player Wojtaszek.

Carlsen in particular adopted it using a move order from the Modern where he played d6, g6, Bg7. Having failed to provoke White into an immediate e4, he then chose to prevent it with .. f5.

Or maybe Carlsen having played already ...d6 (i.e. now missing the option of a quick ...d5 entering the Stonewall), did not want to face a White setup with 1. d4, 2. Nc3, 3. Bg5 (against which Stonewall is a good reply). I don't know really; would be interested to hear others' thoughts on this move order.

Depressing tournament for Leni players.  Sad

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Re: Wijk aan Zee - Leningrad
Reply #1 - 01/16/15 at 00:02:25
Post Tools
A tweet from Jan Gustafsson:  "Note to self: never play the Dutch versus Wojtaszek. He will win the a-pawn for no compensation."

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Wijk aan Zee - Leningrad
01/15/15 at 23:29:18
Post Tools
Followers of the Tata tournament in the Netherlands will have noted that both Carlsen and Caruana have played the Leningrad, but to no avail, both losing to Polish player Wojtaszek.

Carlsen in particular adopted it using a move order from the Modern where he played d6, g6, Bg7. Having failed to provoke White into an immediate e4, he then chose to prevent it with .. f5.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo