Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Quotes about computers (Read 3438 times)
tdv
YaBB Newbies

Let's play chess!

Re: Quotes about computers
Reply #8 - 03/30/18 at 21:50:08
Post Tools
A true one on computers in general : “That's the thing about people who think they hate computers. What they really hate is lousy programmers.”  Larry Niven

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #7 - 03/29/18 at 19:21:27
Post Tools
"My 60 Memorable algorithms" - BOB-1-F

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 03/29/18 at 17:55:05
Post Tools
"Bloody iron monster" -- Michael Stean, whilst becoming the first GM to lose a blitz game to a computer, in 1977

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #5 - 03/29/18 at 17:26:24
Post Tools
I agree with Wekerle in theory. So for example in John Nunn's endgame books, the ! move is the one move that retains the win or retains the draw, the ? move is any move that turns a win into a draw or a draw into a loss. But this presumes we even know, or can find out, what move is most error free. In an average position, there is enough of the unknown, that it's possible to think that a certain move "strengthens the position" thus earning !, or "weakens the position" thus earning ?. Or at least, it used to be unknown. The more we accept computer evaluations over our own, the closer we get to defining chess play in Wekerle's negative way. And so today we have the "precision" which ChessBase applies to the players' moves. Tomorrow we may have a different rating system based on the difference between our moves and some computer's moves.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/29/18 at 07:36:28
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 03/28/18 at 03:30:10:
Maybe others will find this one interesting. I’m also hoping to see some other good quotes in reply. In the below quote, computers have turned out to be quite good at the “multifarious devious” part.

Horowitz was a little behind the curve, it seems. Writing in 1961, he could already have known about the young science of game theory. Also, Alan Turing's "Paper Machine" was able to play chess in 1952. That Paper Machine calculated 1.e4 Nc6 2.d4 as the best moves, which is still true today.  Wink In its first corr game the opponent replied 1...e5, however, and the Paper Machine lost. [Source: Steinwender/Friedel: Schach am PC (1995), p. 35.]
We can go back to Torres y Quevedo and his K+R vs K automaton, and find similar sceptical voices. For example this one published in Pester Lloyd, 18 June 1914:

Quote:
It can be assumed that the Spanish inventor can also build a chess machine that plays other endgames on the chess board; as well an automaton is conceivable, which plays about "wolf and sheep", thus a game, with which the one party (that of the sheep) necessarily must always win, if they do not make a mistake. A machine however, who really plays chess, is an impossibility, the thinking activity can never be replaced by any automaton, and a chess automaton would only be possible under the (false) assumption that there were only a certain number of games in chess, and that in each position a move was the only correct one according to certain simple rules.

In his Die Philosophie des Schach (Leipsig 1879), p. 6, Wekerle thought chess and science had much in common, but science was positive, while the basis of chess was, almost entirely, negativity:

Quote:
Der beste Zug nämlich und der beste Plan nämlich sind die, welche von Irrungen am freiesten sind.

Google translation: Quote:
Namely, the best move and the best plan are the ones that are the freest of any errors.

Still a long way to John von Neumann's Minimax Theorem (1928)...

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 03/28/18 at 23:57:52
Post Tools
Thanks for the laugh. But I think the computer did not lose at kickboxing. It was the computer's owner who lost. If it was Emo's computer, that would be extra funny.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 03/28/18 at 23:00:33
Post Tools
Quote:
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

- Emo Philips

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

tdv
YaBB Newbies

Let's play chess!

Reply #1 - 03/28/18 at 20:00:38
Post Tools
Perfection is no principles.

I like this one Smiley

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Quotes about computers
03/28/18 at 03:30:10
Post Tools
Maybe others will find this one interesting. I’m also hoping to see some other good quotes in reply. In the below quote, computers have turned out to be quite good at the “multifarious devious” part.

Quote:
I. A. Horowitz wrote:

If the study of chess could be reduced to axioms and principles, a twentieth-century automaton would make a mockery of the grandmaster. In less time than it takes to set up the chessmen the answers to the most perplexing problems would be produced with certainty and accuracy.
    Such, however, is not the case. Even what appears to be the simplest end game may, in fact, be a series of tortuous moves, embodying multifarious devious ideas interwoven in a plan which is yet part of another plan.

— I. A. Horowitz (1957) How to Win in the Chess Endings, pages 106-107

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo