Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What are the Romantic Chess Openings? (Read 4136 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: What are the Romantic Chess Openings?
Reply #5 - 12/10/11 at 23:50:00
Post Tools
Chk is correct.

King's Gambit, Falkbeer Gambit, Evans Gambit, Max Lange Attack, Moeller Attack, Two Knights Defense, Goering Gambit,  Danish Gambit, Scotch Gambit, Urusov Gambit, Boden-Kieseritzky Gambit, From Gambit, Staunton Gambit, Hennig-Schara Gambit, Anderssen Variation of the Scandinavian.

The are innumerable modern systems in the same vein, e.g. the Blackmar-Diemer, the Belgrade, the Smith-Morra, the Wing Gambit, the Moeller Defense to the Spanish, the Fajarowicz, the Geller Gambit, the Anti-Moscow Gambit, the various Marshall Gambits, 1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e5 Nfd7 4.e6 and so on almost ad infinitum. That's because it's actually a technique, not a style. And it's a technique  that's justified, or almost so, in many given situations.

I exclude the Jaenisch, which is in a different spirit altogether. Latvian also.

I dunno how to classify the Cochrane and the Halloween. These are very close to the Allgaier, but the Allgaier was a very notable departure from the "my active pieces are going to mate you now" spirit of romantic chess. The Allgaier is perhaps the most revolutionary chess opening idea ever.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Seth_Xoma
God Member

FM with 2 IM Norms - (2381)

Reply #4 - 12/10/11 at 23:00:31
Post Tools
4.Nxf7 in the Petroff.

IP Logged

whatteaux

Reply #3 - 12/10/11 at 02:44:50
Post Tools
I'd include the Rousseau Gambit and its even-braver brother, the Latvian Gambit.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 12/09/11 at 21:13:14
Post Tools
chk wrote on 12/09/11 at 18:30:11:
Afaik 'romantic' in chess means gambit lines developed pre-1900, striving for opening of lines and rapid development

Though invented after 1900 the BDG and the Morra Gambit could be called romantic too.

Danish Gambit
Scotch Gambit
Perhaps the Sicilian Four Knights and the Löwenthal.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #1 - 12/09/11 at 18:30:11
Post Tools
King's Gambit for sure. Evans Gambit and the like.

Not the KID or the Dragon.

Afaik 'romantic' in chess means gambit lines developed pre-1900, striving for opening of lines and rapid development

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

LostTactic

I Love ChessPublishing!

What are the Romantic Chess Openings?
12/09/11 at 17:44:48
Post Tools
I only really know of the main one's, and I'm interested to see what others deem as Romantic openings. Or are the Romantic openings clearly defined or are they subject to opinion?

As white I can think of the King's Gambit

Against d4: King's Indian
Against e4: Dragon

Spent some time trying to find a clear list on google but was unable to.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo