Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The Slav: 4.e3 Bg4 (Read 3466 times)
SutterCane

I recognize terror in
chess as the finest emotion!

Re: The Slav: 4.e3 Bg4
Reply #3 - 07/24/04 at 19:44:30
Post Tools
It seems to me that GM's playing with white often have no real concept against the 4.e3 Bg4 system. Quick draws are often to find.

I like aggressiv methods to pressure black instead allowing a soft movement.

GM Burmakin impressed me with his way to handle it.

5. cd: Bf3: 6.Qf3: cd: 7.Nc3 Nc6 8.Bd2 e6 9.Qg3...with O-O and g4/f4 and f5

I watched 3 or 4 games of him and I like it...

But White should know what to do after 5. cd: cd:
After 6.Qb3...Black has many options (Qb6/Qc8/Qc7/Bf3)
I would like to have this theme in a survey!

I recognize terror as the finest emotion in a chessgame and so I will try to terrorize my opponent. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify ...

IP Logged

alex8

Reply #2 - 04/06/03 at 03:47:54
Post Tools
Thank you for your insight, Ruslan !
Yes, the play in the line 4...Fg4 seems to be simplier for White, especially in the early opening. But it 's simplier for Black, too! This attracted me to this variation since in some games with Black I just try to equalize as soon as possible. Another advantage is that there is not so much theory in this line and most players are not well prepared. In the end, if Black wants to have more complex play, they can choose 5.h3 Bh5 (this is what Movsesian and I.Sokolov played in their recent games).
So, I think this line can become more popular even though there is still a lot to explore in 4..Bf5 variation.

IP Logged

GMRuslanScherbakov
YaBB Newbies

Reply #1 - 03/27/03 at 12:30:45
Post Tools
Hello, Alex8!

Thank you for the interesting question!

You are certainly right. The main idea of these two lines is the same – to develop the light-squared bishop. Then black usually does not hesitate to get rid of it. But the way he does it is a bit different. In the line 4 ..Bg4 black gives the bishop instantly – after both 5. h3 Bxf3 (in case of 5. ..Bh5 white can continue by 6. g4 Bg6 7. Ne5 or play, for example, a simple 6. Nbd2) 6. Qxf3 and 5. cxd5 Bxf3 6. Qxf3 cxd5 – the first line gives more promising advantage for white.

In the line 4 ..Bf5 black tries to be not so complaisant. White has to do some work to get this bishop and sometimes his actions might give black some benefit as well – such as a possibility to exchange queens (Qb3 – Qb6) or a counter chances on the K-side, which might already be weakened by the brave g-pawn advance.
Black is just trying to put more problems for the opponent. White has a wide choice – it is also a kind of problem. White has to play more ambitiously, all over the board. It is not so bad if your opponent has to keep many things under control – he is a human after all and the clocks are ticking…  Smiley

I hope these brief explanations were useful but please don’t take them too seriously – it’s just a point of view of the player, who is not a great expert in this particular line. It would be interesting to ask, for example, GM Pavel Tregubov, who beats black every time he faces both of these lines on the board. Once yours truly decided to take a free lesson from him and played the line 4. ..Bf5 5. Nc3 e6 6. Nh4 Be4 etc. – it was really instructive but unfortunately has not added any points to my score in the tournament.  Smiley

Good luck!
Ruslan

IP Logged

alex8

The Slav: 4.e3 Bg4
03/25/03 at 07:27:52
Post Tools
In the Slow Slav the line 4...Bf5 was extensively analysed on this site. But what about the line 4...Bg4 ? Black has to give up the bishop after 5.h3, but so does he in 4...Bf5. Why is the popularity of these two lines so different? It seems that only Movsesian plays it regularly on the high level.
What does Ruslan think about that line and could he present some of the games in this line in one of his future updates? Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo