Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Martin's Ruy Lopez DVD: 5. d3 (Read 4401 times)
Esprit
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Martin's Ruy Lopez DVD: 5. d3
Reply #6 - 11/16/06 at 16:43:27
Post Tools
I think I'll just play the d3 line when I don't know which line of the Spanish my opponent plays. If I do know it I'll try and prepare. Maybe that way I gradually 'learn' more.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #5 - 11/16/06 at 12:58:54
Post Tools
I switched to the Lopez last year and I've very happy with it doing so  Cheesy. I've got the DVD, but I don't use it much now. You can use the d3 systems as a stepping stone to the mainlines and when you are ready to move to them (i.e. when you get to the point where you realise playing d4 in one go would be much better, except for all that darned theory  Roll Eyes) you will still be bringing some Lopez knowledge and experience with you.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Esprit
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/16/06 at 02:02:59
Post Tools
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.d3!? d6 6. c3 g6 7.Nbd2 Bg7 8. Nf1 0-0

9. Ng3 b5 10. Bc2 d5 11. Qe2 h6 12. 0-0 Be6 13. Re1

(Akopian - Krasenkow Fide Wch Tripoli 27.06.2004)

I've searched some online databases and Re1 is according to those played only once.

Krasenkow continued with 13 ...Qe7 but after 14. d4 Nd7 was played, it went downhill for black after that move.
Shouldn't be to hard for black to find (an) improvement(s).

I must say since I've seen the DVD I once again play the Spanish (for now just on playchess, haven't been able to play a long game with it) with good results. Before that when I played the Ruy Lopez I just got the feeling every possible move my opponent made was theory, and that I didn't know any.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 08/21/05 at 20:35:47
Post Tools
What does Martin recommend against 5...d6 and 6...g6 ?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

basqueknight
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/21/05 at 00:46:09
Post Tools
I just recived my copy yesterday for my birthday and love it. 5.d3 is a very nice system indeed somthing that may attract players who are affraif the theory and what not and dont want to play an exchange variation. Many of the ideas are still very strongly represented and it keeps the lopez playable for all levals. I would really like seeing beginners playa lopex than an italian i belive the spanish torture shows more about chess than any other opening.

IP Logged

Paul Hopwood

Reply #1 - 12/24/04 at 08:08:38
Post Tools

I haven't seen the DVD, but am certainly looking forward to acquiring a copy and learning the Anti-Berlin line which Martin has recommended before in Chess Monthly.  As he says in a recent 'Chess Monthly' article, "Black may be able to equalise, but it sure beats playing the ending!'

With regards to 5 d3, I aren't sure myself as to the exact merits of this.  I remember Emms recommending this on a Foxy Openings video and quickly establishing that 5...g6! just move-ordered White of the intended repertoire.

Does Martin have anything to say on this, or do I have to wait till I get my own copy?! Wink

Regards

Paul Hopwood

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Martin's Ruy Lopez DVD: 5. d3
12/24/04 at 07:04:34
Post Tools
In his new Ruy Lopez DVD for Chessbase, Martin recommends 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.d3!?

This cuts down all the open spanish/marshall lines. And given that the world elite keep playing that strange-looking a3/d3/h3 anti-marshall, 5. d3!? might actually be good.

Opinions please.. both on this line and the DVD.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo