Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) C00: Most effective Anti-French? (Read 30156 times)
Uberdecker
God Member

Re: Most effective Anti-French?
Reply #78 - 04/26/06 at 10:41:17
Post Tools
Dear TalJechin,

I stated that 4. ...Kte7!? was an interesting attempt at refutation, which implies that White does not have a forced draw of course. Rather Black can force one after 5. Rh3, which is partly why I gave other lines.

I certainly don't intend to play this rubbish in a serious game. Even if it turns out that there is no straightforward refutation for Black, White certainly has no advantage against forceful play. His chances come only when Black meekly develops and allows him to do the same. Then White's Kingside attack truly does become strong.

I really don't see why you feel the need to be so confrontational and jeering. I am simply charing a funny idea, which is in fact sounder than many mindless gambits which are constantly advocated on this forum.

I sincerely hope our discussions will be more civil in the future.

Regards,
                                                                         Hubert

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #77 - 04/25/06 at 17:36:02
Post Tools
Quote:
- 5. Rh3 Ktg6 ; 6. Ktf3 Qc7 ; 7. Rh5!? (more lifting) Ktf4 ; 8. Rh4 is a draw

Grin Yeah, right a typical draw for the UA

- black would of course never consider playing on with e.g. 7...Bd7 8.Nc3 a6 9.d4 Nc6 or 8.c3 Nc6 9.d4 Rc8 - since Rh5 is such a Tower of Strenght on h5 for most of the rest of the game...  Roll Eyes

Congratulations, you've saved your eponymous Advance. Good luck with it in your future tournaments!  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #76 - 04/25/06 at 13:50:46
Post Tools
Dear TalJechin,

[b]I[/b] was wrong. It [b]is[/b] a bad opening, and as such deserves a silly name such as the Willy Wonka Wariation.

However, your suggestion of 4. ...Kte7!? does not strike me as being a convincing refutation, although it is an interesting attempt. For example :

- 5. Rh3 Ktg6 ; 6. Ktf3 Qc7 ; 7. Rh5!? (more lifting) Ktf4 ; 8. Rh4 is a draw
- 5. f4 Ktg6 ; 6. Rf3 (not ideal of course, but the Knight is also not beautifully placed. 6. Qg4/6. Kth3) f6 ; 8. Bd3 fe ; 9. Bxg6+ hg ; 10. fe
- 5. Rg3 Ktf5 (5. ...Ktg6 ; 6. Qh5) ; 6. Rh3 followed by g4

Regards,
                                                                                         UD

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #75 - 04/25/06 at 12:08:58
Post Tools
OK, 'Uberdeker Advance' it is. I was wrong - why give a bad variation a good name?  Embarrassed

The idea is interesting but when actually moving some pieces, I don't see it working.

For example:

1.e4 e6 2.a4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.Ra3 and now, why not 4...Ne7!? (intending to put the heat on white's weak spot: Pe5.) e.g: 5.Rh3 (5.f4 Ng6) 5...Ng6 6.Nf3 Qc7 7.Nc3 a6 and white's position is not at all to my taste.

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #74 - 04/24/06 at 16:19:05
Post Tools
Dear Markovich,

You are absolutely right. As I have already mentioned 4. ...Ktc6 ; 5. f4 f6 (or 4. ...f6  ; 5. f4 Ktc6) is the most critical line. Now the only way to hold -e5 while completing the Rook manoeuvre is 6. Bb5 but after 6. ...Bd7 ; 7. Rg3!? (threatening Qh5+) fe ; 8. Bxc6 Bxc6 ; 9. fe White seems to be holding his own.
I've noticed that this line is very rarely chosen in practice, even by strong players, maybe because although ...f6 is completely thematic in the French, one isn't used to playing it so early. So 5. ...f6 is perhaps the opposite of dogmatic thinking!
3. ...f6 , on the other hand, truly is premature. White should forget about the Rook swing idea and concentrate on the Kingside weaknesses with 4. d4

Regards,
                                                            Hubert

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #73 - 04/24/06 at 12:53:23
Post Tools
[quote author=Uberdeker link=1112717848/60#63 date=1145710832] I find this an interesting subject, so I decided to revive this old thread.
The "slow" nature of the French Defence offers many opportunities for unorthodox play by both sides. I've already expressed my faith in 1.e4 e6 ; 2. d4 d5 ; 3. Ktc3 h6 for Black, and there other plenty of other such strange waiting moves (3. Be7 and 3. a6 against the Tarrasch for example) that are perfectly valid.

But my pet line with White runs 1. e4 e6 ; 2. a4 d5 ; 3. e5 c5 ; 4. Ra3 Ktc6 ; 5. f4 followed by Rh3

Of course, this is not very serious chess and Black has plenty of ways to deviate, but to this day I have failed to come up with a line which hands Black a clear advantage. Moreover, if he concentrates on standard development, the maverick rook turns out to be a real asset, not only on the h-file, but also along the 3rd rank. The most critical lines involve an early ...f6 of course, but even here, White seems to be holding his own.

I score massively in blitz with this thing. What do you all think? [/quote]

After 3. e5, I think that an early ...f6 is likely the most accurate way to challenge this (all right, call me a dogmatist) nonsense.  Since White makes scant effort to fortify e5, it must be good to blast away at it.  E.g. 5...f6, 4...f6 or even 3...f6. 

However, 2...c5 and 2...e5 also look like perfectly reasonable chess to me.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #72 - 04/24/06 at 12:41:30
Post Tools
[quote author=TalJechin link=1112717848/60#71 date=1145874031]
Well, in my mind you have to be pretty dogmatic to get worked up over whether someone enters the french via 1.Nc3 or 1.e4... [/quote]

The quote you chose had nothing to do with the French. Where is the connection?? I don't remember getting worked up, but I backed up my claim that 1. Ktc3 is theorecticaly irrelevant with analysis (cf. in particular the thread "Switching from 1. e4 to 1. d4" in the "General Chess" section), which is more than can be said for those who persistantly "disagree". So who is being dogmatic ? Those who say that 1. Ktc3 is of independant relevance simply because it is a different move, or those who have actually given the matter some thought and come to the conclusion that it carries no point ?

[quote]But your 2.a4 idea may of course put you in an entirely different category... [/quote]

I do not consider myself to belong to any particular school of thought. I'm simply a chess nut. By the way I don't call you "a desperately romantic has-been" just because you play the King's Gambit. There is more to the definition of one's style than one's choice of openings.

[quote]Btw, my first thought was that 1.e4 e6 2.a4 could perhaps be met by 2...e5 as white has possibly weakened b4 in the following open game. And there are plenty of other 2nd moves as well, though they may not have too much point they might stop white from lifting the rook.[/quote]

After 2. ...e5, the best way to take advantage of the extra move is perhaps 3. Bc4 with a Bishop's Opening, where a4 is useful.
Of course Black has several ways of simply preventing the Ra3 idea, 2. ...Ktf6/ 2. ...Ktc6 etc, but White has adequate replies.

[quote]One way to cut black's option could be the move order 1.e4 e6 2.f4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.a4 with a position which I'd guess white would be allowed to reach in 75-90% of the games. Or is there a problem with this that makes you prefer 2.a4,? [/quote]

Not really. 2. f4 is also possible. But note that in the line 2. a4 d5 ; 3. e5 c5 ; 4. Ra3 c4 ; 5. Rh3 Ktc6 , I prefer 6. Ktf3. Of course Black can bypass this with 4. ...Ktc6 ; 5. f4 c4 .

[quote]Well, I asked for a *good name* - Nimzowitsch could get away with naming everything after himself, but nowadays it suggests a lack of imagination, doesn't it?[/quote]

Call it what you want then. I'm not particularly keen on silly names for chess openings, but I certainly don't want to fight over it.

Regards,
                                                     UD

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #71 - 04/24/06 at 10:20:31
Post Tools
Quote:
Could you tell me why you wish to assign me to the dogmatics' doghouse? I would very much appreciate that you back up your claim with an argument or at least a quote.

Quote:
There is no objective reason to choose 1. Ktc3 over 1. e4.

Well, in my mind you have to be pretty dogmatic to get worked up over whether someone enters the french via 1.Nc3 or 1.e4... But your 2.a4 idea may of course put you in an entirely different category...

Btw, my first thought was that 1.e4 e6 2.a4 could perhaps be met by 2...e5 as white has possibly weakened b4 in the following open game. And there are plenty of other 2nd moves as well, though they may not have too much point they might stop white from lifting the rook.

One way to cut black's option could be the move order 1.e4 e6 2.f4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.a4 with a position which I'd guess white would be allowed to reach in 75-90% of the games. Or is there a problem with this that makes you prefer 2.a4,?

Quote:
Since you've asked me to come up with a name, let's call it the Uberdeker Advance for the moment

Well, I asked for a *good name* - Nimzowitsch could get away with naming everything after himself, but nowadays it suggests a lack of imagination, doesn't it?

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #70 - 04/24/06 at 09:44:10
Post Tools
Very true. The Black side of the Budapest is probably the opening that offers the most opportunities for a Q Rook swing to the Kingside. This is one of the themes that makes it a dynamic defence and one of the reasons why I play it myself.
But there are of course numerous examples for either side in many other lines.
However, I am not aware of any instance apart from 1. e4 e6 ; 2. a4 where a Rook is the first piece to be developped.      

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #69 - 04/24/06 at 08:09:15
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 04/23/06 at 19:01:49:
Without having tried it (yet!) I'd think it has some potential, at least it's an original idea to 'punish' black's 1...e6 - losing control of h3. The idea actually reminds me of an old game by Walter Browne iirc, where he uses this Ra3-h3 (or was it -g3?) in a Queen's Gambit and wins pretty easily.

It is a very common idea in the Budapest main lines, where black plays a5 with exactly the same purpose.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #68 - 04/23/06 at 20:16:43
Post Tools
Dear TalJechin,

Could you tell me why you wish to assign me to the dogmatics' doghouse? I would very much appreciate that you back up your claim with an argument or at least a quote.
Actually my Black repertoire is made up almost entirlely of unorthodox openings of my own design and I've got quite a few White variations in the same vein as well (most of them much better than 2. a4).
Since you've asked me to come up with a name, let's call it the Uberdeker Advance for the moment as opposed to the "Immortal Überdeckung" Advance (2. h4), thought up by Hans Kmoch for the purpose of his brilliant Nimzowitschian parody.

As I have already mentioned, I have not yet played a standard game with this, but I will reproduce some recent blitz games soon, if my cluttered memory allows it.

As regards Viking's suggestion of 2. ...c5, I meet this with 3. f4 when 3. ...d5 ; 4. e5 transposes and otherwise White's a4 may actually be more to the point in the Grand Prix Attack than the standard Ktc3.

Regards,
                                                       UD

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #67 - 04/23/06 at 19:23:08
Post Tools
Interesting idea...a4
Some sample games would be nice...

I guess that the Rook elevator idea doesnt go that well with sicilian defence (2..c5) but the a-pawn advance is not that unusual at all in the sicilian, so play might transpose to more standard mainlines...

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #66 - 04/23/06 at 19:01:49
Post Tools
Just when you thought you could place Überdeker in the Neodogmatic School of Chess Though, he comes up with 2.a4!? vs. the french! Shocked

Without having tried it (yet!) I'd think it has some potential, at least it's an original idea to 'punish' black's 1...e6 - losing control of h3. The idea actually reminds me of an old game by Walter Browne iirc, where he uses this Ra3-h3 (or was it -g3?) in a Queen's Gambit and wins pretty easily.

Anyway, Uberdeker, if you want some input it would probably help if you 1) give us some example games and 2) come up with a good name for this variation!

(if you need inspiration, how about The Rook Lift Attack / The ERA (i.e. Elevated Rook Attack) / The Elevator / The Willy Wonka Attack ? (WW has an elevator than goes in all directions...))

Btw, a check in the database came up with the following 2 horrendous/hilarious games. Still, white manages 50% in the database - so it can't be bad!  Grin

Istaal - Oort [C00]
ICS rated blitz match localhost, 20.11.1998

1.e4 e6 2.a4 ¤f6 3.¦a3 ¥xa3 4.bxa3 0-0 5.¤c3 ¤c6 6.h4 d5 7.exd5 exd5 8.¤xd5 £xd5 9.¦h3 ¥xh3 10.gxh3 ¦fe8+ 11.¤e2 ¤d4 12.¥b2 ¤f3# 0-1

trunkspiccolo9 - BULLDOG#1 [C00]
VOGChess VOGChess

1.e4 e6 2.a4 £f6 3.d4 £xf2+ 4.¢xf2 ¤c6 5.h4 ¤xd4 6.£xd4 ¥e7 7.¥b5 ¥f6 8.£xd7+ ¥xd7 9.¥xd7+ ¢xd7 10.¤h3 ¢d8 11.¦d1+ ¢c8 12.¦a3 ¤h6 13.¦d4 ¢b8 14.¦d7 ¦c8 15.¦ad3 ¥xh4+ 16.¢g1 ¥e1 17.c4 ¤g4 18.¦d8 ¦xd8 19.¦xd8# 1-0

IP Logged

Uberdecker
God Member

Reply #65 - 04/23/06 at 14:32:34
Post Tools

Dear Smyslov-Fan,

I am intrigued by the fact that you have seen this being played before. I thought I was the only twisted nut who could come up with such madness!
If White has a lost position by move 15, it means he must have blundered either positionally or tacticaly. I assure you that it is not so easy to refute this nonsense.
Of course, when I first got the idea of this variation, my motive was not to develop "the most effective anti-French" (this title must go forever to the 2.d3 KIA), but to come up with a more or less playable line where the first piece to be developped is a rook.
It costs 3 tempi to do so, but the thing is actually very well posted on the Kingside. Often when Black castles Queenside in an Advance French structure, White's Kingside attack lacks bite and can even seriously backfire when he realises that he has weakened his own King's position. I've never seen this happen in my variation, as the QRook lends considerable offensive and defensive power to that area of the board. And obviously if the B King lands on -g8 I really lick my chops.
Of course, you could say that this is all meaningless chatter, and Black has several critical lines at his disposal, based either on attempting to dissolve the crucial -e5 point with ...f6 or cornering the abandonned a-pawn.
So I would be a bit wary of using this in a serious game against a strong opponent (I've always considered even 1.e4 too weakening to be played under such circumstances!), but I'd be very interested to see what the forum users come up with here.

Regards,
                                                Hubert

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #64 - 04/23/06 at 05:58:32
Post Tools
Well Uberdecker,

2.a4 and 5.Ra3 just can't be sound in a theoretical sense, but....

As a blitz weapon or a weapon against a dogmatist, it may score points.  I've seen this at the local Renaissance Festival once or twice, but White usually loses by move 15.  For a stronger player to suggest it means that I have to re-evaluate it on concrete terms.  This is something I can't do right now, but am curious about what black's worries are in any practical game with standard FIDE/USCF time controls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo