Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) BDG: Zilbermints Gambit in the Euwe Defense (Read 121268 times)
BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Re: BDG: ZILBERMINTS GAMBIT IN THE EUWE DEFENSE
Reply #54 - 02/26/06 at 23:33:46
Post Tools
Arkhein,

Any response to my  post on the Hubsch?  You stated you wanted some discussion on this but you have not discussed it after he posted his line (s).

BladezII

Angry

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #53 - 02/26/06 at 18:34:21
Post Tools
Quote:
First, you have not shown Black's response that  after  17 c3! f5 18 Nc5! (in response to MnB's suggestions) where White is better.

Which line are you speaking about?

Quote:
Secondly, what ends in the toilet is your stupid ass and its s---! The computer too, since that's what you depend on to give you most, if not all, the answers. Thus, flush the computer down the toilet as well. Ha-ha-ha-ha....

You still act like as child here, we don't need that type of words in a chess debate. And not, I don't need help of computer to play chess, and when Im playing an official match, a tournament..., I only use my brain, and my memory, as good as you OTB.

Quote:
Thirdly, as I stated repeatedly, Leisebein is a correspondence, not an OTB player. In correspondence chess you get more time to think and analyze than in OTB chess. Thus, you really cannot compare correspondence chess with OTB chess in terms of time limits.

CC play has a theoretical value. If the ZGED is impossible to be refuted in CC play, then it's impossible to be refuted OTB. But the ZGED is now refuted in CC play, that's not the case of the BDG for the moment(and his history is older than the ZGED's one, and more played too), even if guys tries to refute it with computers+their brain.

Quote:
Fourth, if Leisebein is so smart, he would find a counter to his own refutation... but for some reason he does not want to.    

He is very smart yes, the most active defender of the BDG in CC play, and surely the best too. He tryed to see if the ZGED has a chance to survive, but finded an antidote for Black. You can't ask the impossible, if a line is -/+ objectively, that's mean that God against God at chess lose with White with the ZGED, but about the BDG im not so sure. And why for some reason, Leisebein does not want to find a counter refutation? That's illogical because if it was the case, he still would be playing the ZGED.

Quote:
Fifth, sure, the ZGED must be played perfectly, but so what?  Many other gambits require  that kind of play, like the Ryder Gambit, for example. So stop whining.

Right, many line have to be played perfectly from the side who has difficults if you want to have a chance. But your way of playing the ZGED is far from perfect, the line goes from a -/+ to -+ when you are hanging it, your analysis.

Quote:
Sixth, the old Euwe thread seems to have been wiped out by the Great Crash of 11/22/2005, so it's no longer there.

You are wrong(again and again, like in usual) :

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1119806620/0

And nothing is missing, all is there.

Quote:
Eighth, yes, I do challenge people to play, to put their  money where their mouth is, so to speak.  If they decline, then I know they would rather talk than play.  Oh, it's so easy to cite analyses, without a clock ticking away at your side in a tournament game.  Is it any wonder that people don't want to accept a challenge?
Bottom line: The ZGED lives, the computer  is busy trying to get out of the toilet, and those who refuse to accept a challenge to play a tournament game  are cowards!

Were this the 1850s, a refusal would be met by a duel with pistols.

I always said that in OTB, the ZGED is certainly playable with good winning chances until the opponent NEVER FACED YOU in this line, OR NEVER ANALYSED IT BEFORE. If you play it for years, and the opponent for the first time, you have the advantage of experience.
I would myself play the ZGED in as a surprise weapon in OTB(when I know my opponent can't imagine I will play the BDG, for example if he never saw me play it), but not in corr. We are not saying that the ZGED has bad practical chances, you are the best example of guy who have success in OTB with it. What we are saying, is that OBJECTIVELY, the ZGED can be refuted, so even a STRONG opponent who never saw the ZGED before, could manage to find a good antidote over the board, but I can agree that it's not so easy, but not impossible at all. You are playing with fire, but it's your personnality, I can't blame you for that, but you should admit the obviousnes... The ZGED is interesting, good practice chances in OTB, but not good enough to maintain the balance against a PRECISE play.

Don't be mad with me, I don't attack the ZGED for fun(or yourself), I would surely play it on OTB myself from times to times, but I would know that my position is potentially refuted, and if I lose, I can only blame myself to have played the ZGED. Im a BDG player too, so we fight for the same opening, we just don't have the same ideas against the Euwe, but I have already explained why...I have myself tryed to find improvement for White in the ZGED, with and without computer, but it's definitively -/+ with correct play, Im sorry about that.

Friendly, ArKheiN.

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #52 - 02/26/06 at 15:36:34
Post Tools
ArKheiN wrote on 02/26/06 at 04:16:53:
Quote:
Why should they [my opponents?] ? After all, they have no idea who they will play against... nor what opening will be used!

Ok, you doesn't  always know who will be your next opponent. But sometimes you does, and you prepare something against his openings. And you always give challenges here for an internet game, but if everybody says to you "hey, I will kick your ass you and your ZGED", you will play them to prove they are wrong. But if one of them have read my analysis (or analysed it themselves correctly), they will win if they are not too weak.

Quote:
Your 'refutation' is worse than toilet paper, because toilet paper does not come from computers!

Really? What a stupid sentence. If my refutation of the ZGED is a sort of toilet paper, it's quite normal because it was only made to wipe your ZGED, that is not better than s***.

Quote:
Oh, how about shucking your computer and using your own head to find the answers? You elevate the machine above the man, you let the computers do all the thinking. I do not do that.

You should not say that  when you don't know anyting about me!

First, my ELO ranking is not worst than yours, and I got it without computer(like anybody, even if they used to analyse a position with the help of computer at home)!!

Secondly, I am "the first" to say that the man is still stronger than computer, but I use the computer as a PARTNER to find holes in tactics that I could miss in a position I am analysing in home preparations. What is bad with that? A mathematic teacher should never use a calculator to gain time even if he knows how to calculate himself? Maybe you prefer to calculate everything in your mathematic lessons(if you still have matematics at school) without calculator, because you don't like the results of somes circuits, you prefer to use your brain, even if you are wrong or have to be fast!!

Thirdly, I did not got my refutation from a computer, because I don't always trust their evaluation (I know when they are wrong, and they in a lot of position...), but from Leisebein's analysis! I never said that my ZGED's refutation was made from myself, I have said many times that it comes from him, and he is not a computer, but a BDG corr expert!

And to finish, in the ZGED, I don't think the computer is able to find the best lines for Black, but when YOU play the White side, or give analysis for White, the computer is able to find many REAL errors (the ZGED himself is not so bad in many lines, it still have to be played perfectly, but still give -/+ with correct play by Black), so we are saying 1)that the ZGED is not OBJECTIVELY correct (-/+), 2)your analysis are worst than the ZGED, it's clearly poor ! If you were Dr Frankenstein, and the ZGED your monster, the monster would cry when he see a support like you. What a shame : the creator of ZGED is not his best user, it goes from (-/+) to (-+)! Leisebein has done SERIOUS work, and he did not play it as much as you, and did not create it, and don't know your own deep analysis! After having winning pretty games, he discovered that this time is over : he found a refutation(made by himself) that I copied and past in the old Euwe defense's thread, and now switched to 8.a3 (I already said somes of the words for the 10th times, but Lev seems to never understand the obviousness)

Personnally, I know what should end in the toilets Wink until you comes with SERIOUS analysis, that could miraculously improve White's chances.

The ZGED is already dead but the BDG lives! See you soon Wink

OK, here are my responses.

First, you have not shown Black's response that  after  17 c3! f5 18 Nc5! (in response to MnB's suggestions) where White is better.

Secondly, what ends in the toilet is your stupid ass and its s---! The computer too, since that's what you depend on to give you most, if not all, the answers. Thus, flush the computer down the toilet as well. Ha-ha-ha-ha....

Thirdly, as I stated repeatedly, Leisebein is a correspondence, not an OTB player. In correspondence chess you get more time to think and analyze than in OTB chess. Thus, you really cannot compare correspondence chess with OTB chess in terms of time limits.

Fourth, if Leisebein is so smart, he would find a counter to his own refutation... but for some reason he does not want to.    

Fifth, sure, the ZGED must be played perfectly, but so what?  Many other gambits require  that kind of play, like the Ryder Gambit, for example. So stop whining.

Sixth, the old Euwe thread seems to have been wiped out by the Great Crash of 11/22/2005, so it's no longer there.
Seventh, I would love getting an Elo rating, but not too many FIDE tournaments are played in New Jersey, where I live.  So, until then...

Eighth, yes, I do challenge people to play, to put their  money where their mouth is, so to speak.  If they decline, then I know they would rather talk than play.  Oh, it's so easy to cite analyses, without a clock ticking away at your side in a tournament game.  Is it any wonder that people don't want to accept a challenge?
Bottom line: The ZGED lives, the computer  is busy trying to get out of the toilet, and those who refuse to accept a challenge to play a tournament game  are cowards!

Were this the 1850s, a refusal would be met by a duel with pistols.

YIM  
IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #51 - 02/26/06 at 04:16:53
Post Tools
Quote:
Why should they [my opponents?] ? After all, they have no idea who they will play against... nor what opening will be used!

Ok, you doesn't  always know who will be your next opponent. But sometimes you does, and you prepare something against his openings. And you always give challenges here for an internet game, but if everybody says to you "hey, I will kick your ass you and your ZGED", you will play them to prove they are wrong. But if one of them have read my analysis (or analysed it themselves correctly), they will win if they are not too weak.

Quote:
Your 'refutation' is worse than toilet paper, because toilet paper does not come from computers!

Really? What a stupid sentence. If my refutation of the ZGED is a sort of toilet paper, it's quite normal because it was only made to wipe your ZGED, that is not better than s***.

Quote:
Oh, how about shucking your computer and using your own head to find the answers? You elevate the machine above the man, you let the computers do all the thinking. I do not do that.

You should not say that  when you don't know anyting about me!

First, my ELO ranking is not worst than yours, and I got it without computer(like anybody, even if they used to analyse a position with the help of computer at home)!!

Secondly, I am "the first" to say that the man is still stronger than computer, but I use the computer as a PARTNER to find holes in tactics that I could miss in a position I am analysing in home preparations. What is bad with that? A mathematic teacher should never use a calculator to gain time even if he knows how to calculate himself? Maybe you prefer to calculate everything in your mathematic lessons(if you still have matematics at school) without calculator, because you don't like the results of somes circuits, you prefer to use your brain, even if you are wrong or have to be fast!!

Thirdly, I did not got my refutation from a computer, because I don't always trust their evaluation (I know when they are wrong, and they in a lot of position...), but from Leisebein's analysis! I never said that my ZGED's refutation was made from myself, I have said many times that it comes from him, and he is not a computer, but a BDG corr expert!

And to finish, in the ZGED, I don't think the computer is able to find the best lines for Black, but when YOU play the White side, or give analysis for White, the computer is able to find many REAL errors (the ZGED himself is not so bad in many lines, it still have to be played perfectly, but still give -/+ with correct play by Black), so we are saying 1)that the ZGED is not OBJECTIVELY correct (-/+), 2)your analysis are worst than the ZGED, it's clearly poor ! If you were Dr Frankenstein, and the ZGED your monster, the monster would cry when he see a support like you. What a shame : the creator of ZGED is not his best user, it goes from (-/+) to (-+)! Leisebein has done SERIOUS work, and he did not play it as much as you, and did not create it, and don't know your own deep analysis! After having winning pretty games, he discovered that this time is over : he found a refutation(made by himself) that I copied and past in the old Euwe defense's thread, and now switched to 8.a3 (I already said somes of the words for the 10th times, but Lev seems to never understand the obviousness)

Personnally, I know what should end in the toilets Wink until you comes with SERIOUS analysis, that could miraculously improve White's chances.

The ZGED is already dead but the BDG lives! See you soon Wink

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #50 - 02/26/06 at 03:46:43
Post Tools
CraigEvans wrote on 02/22/06 at 10:07:07:
I feel this argument is as much use as banging my head against a brick wall... still, it's not in my nature to back down unfortunately.

Lev, for four months you have said you would post the analysis of lines later (when the lines are good for black), whereas with the H-Z Gambit in the bird you've had no problems posting pretty quickly. Let me speculate that the delay is solely because the ZGED is busted.

Secondly, the Evans Gambit has been played for 150 years, withstood analytical scrutiny, and gives clear tactical and positional compensation. It is borderline sound (although I don't know a huge amount about it, so I don't know the current opinion on it). The ZGED isn't, and if Kasparov played it against Anand, computer-prepared or not, he would not win with it.

Third, I will post the game score if I can dig it out. He followed a critical game in the Ryder for around 12 moves and then deviated with, what I felt, was an improvement. The Ryder is better than the ZGED, and it is still unsound.

Fourthly, dumbo? Jerk? I cannot begin to describe my laughter at these comments, that in lieu of anything constructive to say you have to resort to the insults of a child. And yes, 2035 USCF is mediocre! USCF has always been known for it's inflated/inaccurate grading system. From speaking to people from the USCF over the years, they've stated that they feel the comparison from USCF to FIDE to be -100 to -150. My WCU grade (a body regarded as being on the low side w.r.t. grading) is 1954, generally the FIDE comparison is +100. I regard myself to be a mediocre player, and I regard anything under 2100 to, in general, mean a mediocre player. I will echo Bonzai's comments regarding both the obscure county titles and the ICC blitz rating.

You can name whatever you want after yourself, no-one minds this. The point is, however, that the name LDZ has become synonymous with junk. Junk talk, junk openings. Simple. And I have no problems with you, or anyone else, analysing offbeat/junk openings - I get the impression that you see me as some sort of stickler for main-line openings, refusing to acknowledge anything off the beaten path... however, if you knew anything about me you'd know that my play is always unorthodox, many of the openings I play are, theoretically at least, unsound (1.e4 d5 Nf3, for example), and I have myself been known to defend openings, such as the Latvian, which are refuted. However, I don't deny the opening to be refuted, I don't argue with absolutely everyone to defend my beloved openings when they're shown to be trash.
Again, I will agree with Bonsai - I have won games, OTB, in blitz and in correspondence, with Kadas's Gambit after 1.h4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.Nf3 d5 4.c4?!. Objectively, however, I can not defend the merits of the opening. Just because it works in blitz, or against unprepared opponents (or some who are psychologically incapable of dealing with such blatant jokes in the opening), doesn't make it good. I have "invented" other gambits, too - the difference is that I don't name them after myself and I don't feel obliged to take credit for them.

Before you ask, no I will not play a 3-minute game to prove superiority against you.

Lev, I have nothing against you here. This is not a personal attack. I have merely asked to look at the ZGED objectively, with analysis. The analysis has been done, and the conclusion is this: Yes, white gets a bit of play for his material. But in the best line for white, black is clearly better. Hence -/+. In practical terms, I'm sure you'll continue to score well with the ZGED. I will continue to score well with the Kadas Gambit. They're both analytically unsound - so be it. If you enjoy playing them and looking at them, that's all that matters.

MNb, that looks good to me - white has a hint of compensation but, for a pawn, I'd take black every time. And I'm a gambiteer...

Regards,
Craig

Regarding ratings, I was told a few years ago (by someone I know who was on the USCF ratings committee) that, of the people who had both a USCF and a FIDE rating:

(a)  the average difference was about 40 points (with the USCF rating being higher);
(b)  for 25% of those players, their FIDE rating was higher than their USCF rating.

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #49 - 02/26/06 at 03:09:53
Post Tools
nexirae wrote on 02/21/06 at 03:37:01:
I like how Lev consistently ignores the 15th move suggestions...    Huh

7 ... Nc6 8 O-O Nxd4 9 Kh1 Nc6 10 Qe1 Bd7 11 Rd1 h6 12 Bh4 O-O 13 Bb5 Qe8 14 Bxf6 Bxf6 15 Ne4

and now

15 ... Bxb2! 16 Qg3 Qc8!  and black is in the clear.  While white does have some compensation, it's very small, certainly not three pawns!  

15 ... Be7!  More cautious, but perfectly viable.  16 Qg3 Rc8 is perfectly safe.

Just to check myself, and to spite Lev's hate of computers, Crafty says about -2.5 for Bxb2, and -2.1 for Be7.  I don't care whether you're a stronger player than myself, any decent club player could hold the black position readily.

So, I therefore proclaim, -/+.  Logical moves, logical advantage.  Feel free to try to improve the lines, Lev.

Nex

Finally, I submit analyses to show that your precious computer is a bunch of electronic circuits and that you should use your head, not a machine, to analyse.

1 d4 d5 2 e4 de4 3 Nc3 Nf6 4 f3 ef3 5 Nxf3 e6 6 Bg5 Be7 7 Bd3 Nc6 8 00 Nxd4 9 Kh1 Nc6 10 Qe1 Bd7 11 Rd1 h6 12 Bh4 00 13 Bb5 Qe8 14 Bxf6 Bxf6 15 Ne4

Here Nexirae proposes 15...Bb2 16 Qg3 Qc8 saying Black is better.

However, after 17 c3! f5 (Only move, as Nf6! is threatened) 18 Nc5! White clearly has counterplay and compensation.

YIM  
IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #48 - 02/26/06 at 02:29:29
Post Tools
ArKheiN wrote on 02/26/06 at 01:18:48:
Quote:
And to those of you who would complain, here is my response: I play the ZGED in blitz, over-the-board, and Internet Chess Club.  I play both under long time controls and short time controls. Of course, when we play, my opponents do not have the benefit of computers to help them out with analyses... like you guys do.      

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...

Because they never took the time to analyse the ZGED before playing you, or doesn't read  and memorize our refutation in this forum! Hahaha...

Once I have free time, I'll get around to trashing your so-called refutation down the toilet.

Grin Grin

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha....

YIM  
IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #47 - 02/26/06 at 01:18:48
Post Tools
Quote:
And to those of you who would complain, here is my response: I play the ZGED in blitz, over-the-board, and Internet Chess Club.  I play both under long time controls and short time controls. Of course, when we play, my opponents do not have the benefit of computers to help them out with analyses... like you guys do.      

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...

Because they never took the time to analyse the ZGED before playing you, or doesn't read  and memorize our refutation in this forum! Hahaha...

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #46 - 02/25/06 at 22:06:25
Post Tools
Well, Craig, I am a bit slow to post analyses. Other things get in the way, such as school, family, etc.  However, I did print out your and MnB's  analyses recently and am going over it.

As far as county titles are concerned, they are not obscure. I suggest you try winning a county championship -- it's not exactly easy.
For example, it took me three attempts to win the 1997 Monmouth County Championship.

I offered to play you not a 3-minute game, but a 30-minute or 60-minute game on the Internet Chess Club... which you declined so far.

My name is synonymous with unorthodox openings, and gambits, not "junk", Mister Evans!  If you check that precious computer of yours, you will see that the Zilbermints Gambit, 1 d4 e5 2 de5 Nc6 3 Nf3 Nge7, is played the world over.

The same goes for some of my other openings as well.

Yes, this argument is similar to perpetual check... but that is the nature of discussion and analyses in chess.

In conclusion, a game:

ZILBERMINTS GAMBIT DELAYED

White: Zilbermints
Black: Stephen Priester
Marshall Chess Club
New York
February 24, 2006
Friday Rapids

1 d4 d5  2 e4 de4 3 Nc3 Nf6  4 f3 ef3  5 Nxf3 e6  6 Bg5 Be7  7 Bd3 00  8 00 Nc6  9 Qe1 Nxd4 The Zilbermints Gambit Delayed
10 Qh4 Nxf3?? Here 10...Nf5 looks better.

11 Rxf3 h6  12 Bxh6! gh6  13 Qh6 Qd4+  14 Kh1

Black could not save the game here.  The concluding moves were 14...Ne4 15 Bxe4 Qg7 16 Rg3  Qg6 17 Rg6 fg6  18 Qg6+ Kh8  19 Qh7 mate.  

Did Black play poorly? Without a doubt! The main point is that the Zilbermints Gambit Delayed, like its close kin, the Zilbermints Gambit with 8 00 Nxd4 9 Kh1, is very tactical.

Finally, I should mention here that there are alternatives to (6 Bg5 Be7 7 Bd3 Nc6 8 00 Nxd4) 9 Kh1. For example, the German player Peter Leisebein sometimes plays  9 Ne4. That move has been first played in Capdevila - Brizzio, Argentina, 1960 (1-0, 25).

And to those of you who would complain, here is my response: I play the ZGED in blitz, over-the-board, and Internet Chess Club.  I play both under long time controls and short time controls. Of course, when we play, my opponents do not have the benefit of computers to help them out with analyses... like you guys do.    Grin  Grin

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...

YIM  
IP Logged

Rajmund_Emanuel
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #45 - 02/25/06 at 00:08:03
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 02/22/06 at 02:49:54:
A debate LDZ vs the rest is very similar to a perpetual check ...
Time for some analysis again, something Craig Evans so desparately begs for.
1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 e6 6.Bg5 Be7 7.Qd2 Nc6 8.o-o-o Nd5 9.Bxe7 Ncxe7 10.Bd3 Nxc3 11.Qxc3 o-o
11...Nd5 12.Qe1 gives White slightly more chances.
12.h4 Qd6
12...h6 is only self-weaking and has no point.
13.Kb1 Nd5 14.Qe1
14.Qd2 Qf4 and Fritz thinks White still has compensation after the exchange of queens; I don't.
14...Bd7
and Black has an improved version of Rajmund's main line; 15.c4 is answered with Nf4 16.Bc2 Bc6 or Nf6 16.h5 h6 17.Ne5 Ba4! 18.b3 Bc6 19.Rh4 a5.

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3! Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 e6 6.Bg5 Be7 7.Qd2 Nc6 8.0-0-0 Nd5 9.Bxe7 Ncxe7 10.Bd3 Nxc3 11.Qxc3 0-0 12.h4!? Qd6 13.Kb1 Nd5 (MNb) 14.Qe1 Bd7 15.c4 Nf6 [15...Nf4 16.Bc2 Bc6 17.Ng5 h6 (17...f5 18.c5 Qd7 19.Qe5 Ng6 20.Qxe6+ Qxe6 21.Nxe6 Bxg2 22.Rh2+/-) 18.Ne4 Qe7 19.g3 Ng6 20.h5 Nh8 21.Rf1 Rae8 22.Qe3 f5 23.Nc5 Rf6 24.g4 fxg4 25.Qd3 g6 26.Rxf6 Qxf6 27.d5+/-] 16.h5 h6 17.Ne5
  • 17....Ne5 Ba4 18. b3 Bc6 19. Rf1 a5 (19... Qe7 20. g4 a5 21. Qe3
    a4 22. g5 hxg5 23. Qxg5 Nd5 24. Qc1+/-)
    20. Rxf6 gxf6 21. Qg3+ Kh8 22. Qf4 Kg7 23. Rf1 +/-

17...Rfd8 18.g4 Ba4 19.Rd2 Bc6 [19...Kf8 20.g5 hxg5 21.h6->] 20.Rg1 Kf8 21.g5 hxg5 22.h6+/-
Undecided
It is for me all time clearer. The opponent BDG will all time against: he don't like to atttack or  don't know to attack, but BDG is aggressive opening! Only incidentally: Fritz isn't the best programme (except endgame).

IP Logged

CraigEvans
YaBB Moderator

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #44 - 02/22/06 at 10:07:07
Post Tools
I feel this argument is as much use as banging my head against a brick wall... still, it's not in my nature to back down unfortunately.

Lev, for four months you have said you would post the analysis of lines later (when the lines are good for black), whereas with the H-Z Gambit in the bird you've had no problems posting pretty quickly. Let me speculate that the delay is solely because the ZGED is busted.

Secondly, the Evans Gambit has been played for 150 years, withstood analytical scrutiny, and gives clear tactical and positional compensation. It is borderline sound (although I don't know a huge amount about it, so I don't know the current opinion on it). The ZGED isn't, and if Kasparov played it against Anand, computer-prepared or not, he would not win with it.

Third, I will post the game score if I can dig it out. He followed a critical game in the Ryder for around 12 moves and then deviated with, what I felt, was an improvement. The Ryder is better than the ZGED, and it is still unsound.

Fourthly, dumbo? Jerk? I cannot begin to describe my laughter at these comments, that in lieu of anything constructive to say you have to resort to the insults of a child. And yes, 2035 USCF is mediocre! USCF has always been known for it's inflated/inaccurate grading system. From speaking to people from the USCF over the years, they've stated that they feel the comparison from USCF to FIDE to be -100 to -150. My WCU grade (a body regarded as being on the low side w.r.t. grading) is 1954, generally the FIDE comparison is +100. I regard myself to be a mediocre player, and I regard anything under 2100 to, in general, mean a mediocre player. I will echo Bonzai's comments regarding both the obscure county titles and the ICC blitz rating.

You can name whatever you want after yourself, no-one minds this. The point is, however, that the name LDZ has become synonymous with junk. Junk talk, junk openings. Simple. And I have no problems with you, or anyone else, analysing offbeat/junk openings - I get the impression that you see me as some sort of stickler for main-line openings, refusing to acknowledge anything off the beaten path... however, if you knew anything about me you'd know that my play is always unorthodox, many of the openings I play are, theoretically at least, unsound (1.e4 d5 Nf3, for example), and I have myself been known to defend openings, such as the Latvian, which are refuted. However, I don't deny the opening to be refuted, I don't argue with absolutely everyone to defend my beloved openings when they're shown to be trash.
Again, I will agree with Bonsai - I have won games, OTB, in blitz and in correspondence, with Kadas's Gambit after 1.h4 e5 2.d4 exd4 3.Nf3 d5 4.c4?!. Objectively, however, I can not defend the merits of the opening. Just because it works in blitz, or against unprepared opponents (or some who are psychologically incapable of dealing with such blatant jokes in the opening), doesn't make it good. I have "invented" other gambits, too - the difference is that I don't name them after myself and I don't feel obliged to take credit for them.

Before you ask, no I will not play a 3-minute game to prove superiority against you.

Lev, I have nothing against you here. This is not a personal attack. I have merely asked to look at the ZGED objectively, with analysis. The analysis has been done, and the conclusion is this: Yes, white gets a bit of play for his material. But in the best line for white, black is clearly better. Hence -/+. In practical terms, I'm sure you'll continue to score well with the ZGED. I will continue to score well with the Kadas Gambit. They're both analytically unsound - so be it. If you enjoy playing them and looking at them, that's all that matters.

MNb, that looks good to me - white has a hint of compensation but, for a pawn, I'd take black every time. And I'm a gambiteer...

Regards,
Craig

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #43 - 02/22/06 at 08:28:09
Post Tools
Gambit wrote on 02/21/06 at 18:50:31:

Fourth, some dumbo here says I'm a mediocre player?!  You jerk!  I'm rated 2035 USCF, and on ICC I'm 2434 (that's International Master strength!) in blitz!  I hold the chess championship of my home Essex County in New Jersey since 1995.  Not only that, I  also was the Chess Champion of Middlesex County in 1996 and Monmouth  County in 1997. In 1998, I was Chess Champion of Morris County in blitz.  Right now I am the Chess Champion of Rutgers University, Newark Campus
(Newark, New Jersey, USA).   I have beaten titled players  with unorthodox openings! 

Do you think anyone is impressed with a 2035 rating??? Particularly when it's a USCF rating and not Elo? (let's not even talk about internet blitz ratings...) You really totally lack any chess arguments here and quoting one's rating (or some titles won in some obscure counties in a country that isn't exactly overcrowded with strong chess players) doesn't constitute any sort of argument on behalf of your gambit.

And while you may believe you have some compensation of whatever form for your two pawns, all analysis seems to indicate that the compensation is just not enough (of course you can continue to ignore the truth, because maybe someone used a computer to discover it and hence it doesn't count...).

Of course there is some small chance that I can even win with 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6 3.Qh5, but objectively that variation is lost. This gambit of yours is not so totally lost for white, but I just wanted to illustrate the point that just because you can win internet blitz games with it, an opening can still be rubbish. I've personally won blitz games with 1.e4 h5, but I'm still not going to go around selling it as a wonder opening and trying to have it named after myself...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #42 - 02/22/06 at 02:49:54
Post Tools
A debate LDZ vs the rest is very similar to a perpetual check ...
Time for some analysis again, something Craig Evans so desparately begs for.

1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Nxf3 e6 6.Bg5 Be7 7.Qd2 Nc6 8.o-o-o Nd5 9.Bxe7 Ncxe7 10.Bd3 Nxc3 11.Qxc3 o-o
11...Nd5 12.Qe1 gives White slightly more chances.

12.h4 Qd6
12...h6 is only self-weaking and has no point.

13.Kb1 Nd5 14.Qe1
14.Qd2 Qf4 and Fritz thinks White still has compensation after the exchange of queens; I don't.

14...Bd7
and Black has an improved version of Rajmund's main line; 15.c4 is answered with Nf4 16.Bc2 Bc6 or Nf6 16.h5 h6 17.Ne5 Ba4! 18.b3 Bc6 19.Rh4 a5.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Gambit
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #41 - 02/21/06 at 18:50:31
Post Tools
No, your answer can be chalked up to history, Craig Evans.  Since I do not have a chessboard handy right now, I will say for the moment that I will post the analyses here later. 

Secondly,  it was pointed out here that Kasparov used the Evans (with computer analyses) to beat Anand in 1995.  Granted. However, what you failed to understand is that the ZGED also has positional
as well as tactical compensation  for two pawns.  As an example I cite the game  Leisebein- H. Fitzian, DVC, correspondence, Germany, 2000. In that game, White was 2 pawnd down, and still managed to maneuver positionally, and salvage a half-point.

Third, that opponent of yours who used the Ryder Gambit against you in the tournament. Well, if you know the pairing in advance, you might prepare. But what if you do not know the pairings in advance?  I have played in numerous tournaments where pairing were not made until the last minute.  Now, whether or not your opponent knew Ryder Gambit theory well is another story in itself.  He probably erred somewhere, but not having the game score, I can only theorize. Care to share the game with us, folks?

Fourth, some dumbo here says I'm a mediocre player?!  You jerk!  I'm rated 2035 USCF, and on ICC I'm 2434 (that's International Master strength!) in blitz!  I hold the chess championship of my home Essex County in New Jersey since 1995.  Not only that, I  also was the Chess Champion of Middlesex County in 1996 and Monmouth  County in 1997. In 1998, I was Chess Champion of Morris County in blitz.  Right now I am the Chess Champion of Rutgers University, Newark Campus
(Newark, New Jersey, USA).   I have beaten titled players  with unorthodox openings!

Now, as for naming openings after myself, that is my right.  If I analyze and popularize  certain openings and gambit systems, I have the right to name them after myself.  The Zilbermints Benoni, 1 d4 c5  2 b4!  and 1 d4 c5 2 Nf3 cxd4  3 b4! .  The Zilbermints Grob,  1 g4 d5 2 e4 de4 3 Nc3.  The Zilbermints Gambit, 1 d4 e5  2 de5  Nc6  3 Nf3 Nge7 .  The Hobbs-Zilbermints Gambit, 1 f4  h6  2 Nf3 g5  3 fg5  hg5 .

As you can see, these are rare and unorthodox opening systems  that few people have analysed.
By comparison, in standard openings, there are  systems  with the same name. For example, the Chigorin Defense in the Queen's Gambit Decined;  in the French Defense, 1 e4 e6 2 Qe2;  etc.

The difference is that 1)  I'm not a master; 2) I prefer unorthodox opening systems.

While you complain and whine about me naming some unorthodox opening systems after myself, realize that the chess literature recognizes my contributions.  Unorthodox Chess Opening (2d edition, Eric Schiller, 2003), Gambit Chess Openings (Schiller, 2002), Nunn's Chess Openings, MCO-14 (deFirmian) all have examples of my openings and games.

If you want, try inventing some chess openings yourself. Maybe then you can have it named after you.  Back in the early 1960s, Bobby Fischer invented the Fischer Defense to the King's Gambit.
So, why don't you try inventing some openings (or defenses and gambits) in chess?

Keep in touch.

YIM  
IP Logged

CraigEvans
YaBB Moderator

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Reply #40 - 02/21/06 at 10:02:07
Post Tools
I've only had a minor look at 15...Bxb2, since it's not in my nature to grab a third pawn when two are more than sufficient to win the endgame, but the more I look at it the more it looks like -+ rather than -/+. Three pawns already, and black can surely (if things get desperate) sacrifice a piece for a fourth pawn where white still won't have enough for the material.

I think it's fair to say that this thread can be chalked up to history, and we can move onto the more critical BDG lines. Good job people.

Regards,
Craig  Cheesy Grin

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo