Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rooks (Read 5640 times)
Beetlejuice

Be careful out there!

Re: Rooks
Reply #16 - 02/12/06 at 18:31:05
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 02/12/06 at 13:45:38:
Thanks for that insight, GM Kosten!  Mihail Marin's name has been quite popular recently.  Does anyone know if Learn From the Legends is available in the US?

I guess it is - a few suggestions:

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=8962052&wauth=mihail%20marin&ptit...

http://uscfsales.com/item.asp?PID=1515

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9197524328/sr=8-1/qid=1139768722/ref=pd_bbs_1/0...

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #15 - 02/12/06 at 14:23:03
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 02/12/06 at 07:04:54:
This is really a complicated issue, as there is another chapter in Mihail Marin's Learn from the Legends devoted to Tal's 'sacrifices' of two pieces for a rook. So if rook and pawn often beat two pieces in an endgame, how can a rook not be far better than one piece? Undecided
For instance, I saw Sokolov happily go for an exchange of two pieces for a rook and two pawns against Tkachiev the other day, he was happy to do this as his opponent was obliged to swap queens at the same time.

So a rook and pawn can be stronger than two pieces AND a rook isn't much stronger than a piece and pawn.  At the end of the day, I'm awfully tempted to try to keep all my pieces on the board at all costs...   Undecided

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #14 - 02/12/06 at 13:45:38
Post Tools
Thanks for that insight, GM Kosten!  Mihail Marin's name has been quite popular recently.  Does anyone know if Learn From the Legends is available in the US?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #13 - 02/12/06 at 07:04:54
Post Tools
This is really a complicated issue, as there is another chapter in Mihail Marin's Learn from the Legends devoted to Tal's 'sacrifices' of two pieces for a rook. So if rook and pawn often beat two pieces in an endgame, how can a rook not be far better than one piece? Undecided
For instance, I saw Sokolov happily go for an exchange of two pieces for a rook and two pawns against Tkachiev the other day, he was happy to do this as his opponent was obliged to swap queens at the same time.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #12 - 02/12/06 at 02:22:44
Post Tools
Rooks are worth about a Knight and a Pawn now.  At least, that's what Topalov and others seem to think.  So, if you can sacrifice the exchange and get an attack that's worth a pawn, the sac is probably sound.  Even if you're wrong and you don't win that pawn, the endgame is usually a long way off and even that may be drawn in many circumstances.

(The exchange of single pieces isn't usually a sacrifice, except when sacrificing pieces of markedly different values.  Queen sacs are their own beast, and so there really was only one type of exchange sacrifice as long as people agreed that Bishops and Knights were equivalent.  To "sacrifice the exchange" is every bit as arbitrary a description as "sacrificing the quality", as the French prefer to describe it, which doesn't translate well into English anyway.)

IP Logged

RotGut

HUH!?!

Reply #11 - 02/08/06 at 23:47:41
Post Tools
This devaluing rooks like so many other things is just a fad! I wish more folks would sacrifice their rooks! I'd be able to notch up a few more points in tourney play Grin

IP Logged

bravehoptoad

Chess nuts boasting in
an open foyer

Reply #10 - 02/08/06 at 09:04:20
Post Tools
I think part of the reason rooks are being given less respect is that endgames are less important now than they used to be, and it's their endgame power that has traditionally led to the rooks being valued at "5."  If all games ended in the middle game, rooks would be hardly worth more than the minor pieces. 

If we had longer games with adjournments and four-hour-long rook endgames again, they'd start to regain some of their respect, I'm sure. 

Of course, this theory doesn't account for any trouble in postal chess....

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #9 - 02/07/06 at 12:38:25
Post Tools
For pawns you would have to factor in the chance of promotion and the value of the queen. So better first start with the queen. Then again I am still working on my mathematical proof of the inferiority of 1 d4 relative to 1 e4, so it may take a while Wink

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #8 - 02/07/06 at 12:18:53
Post Tools
Could you do the math for R vs 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 pawns as well?  In the Saavedra the rook seems less worth than a single pawn,  so can it really be worth five?  Wink

Both pawns and rooks increase in value in the endings, so maybe one has to calculate the worth with an algorithm that includes number of total moves plus individual moves for every pawn and a number of other stuff...

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #7 - 02/07/06 at 10:48:26
Post Tools
Let's settle this once and for all with math Wink
Position
White: Kh1, Rg1
Black: Kh8, Bh7

Now whether you remove the rook or keep it on, the result is still a draw. With the bishop off the result changes to a loss.
So
R vs B=draw
- vs B=draw
R vs -=1-0
So 2 R= 1.5 and 2 B=1-->1.33R=2B-->1R=1.5B. Now assuming a B is worth 3 points, then a rook is 4.5 points

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #6 - 02/07/06 at 09:51:23
Post Tools
There is a chapter in Mihail Marin's Learn from the Legends devoted to Petrosian's exchange sacrifices - witha  substantial diversion into Marin's own experience on the 'wrong' side of the exchange.  Well worth a read.

Incidentally, can anyone explain why we (in English) refer to trading a rook for a minor piece as "sacrificing the exchange"?

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #5 - 02/06/06 at 18:38:36
Post Tools
I played an interesting game abt 1.5 yrs ago with one of my mates. It was a Najdorf & I made a thematic Rxc3 sac - Rook for kt + King pawn + active minor piece play in the ctr. The game progressed towards the ending where I had a Kt + 3-4 pawns  whilst he had a rook & pawn. (sorry didnt record the game)

I eventually won the ending, but after the game I studied a particular position as I somehow felt that he had some 'swindling' possibilities. What I vaguely remember now is that if he saced his rook for 1 of my pawns, amazingly the whole game would be drawn!! Shocked It was fortunate in a way for me that he wasnt the type of player to go for sacs of any kind!

Its kind of difficult to really judge if a rook sac is going to work or not esp if its not for mate or immediate material gain. Piece activity, open lines,initiative is also not necessarily a permanent or lasting advantage but a plus pt for the short term at least. Pity there are no real rule of thumb to actually gauge it accurately even in GM play. Best part is that most of the time such sacs arent the product of very deep calculations. Quite a fair bit of inspiration, intuition, keen judgement & of course the opponent somehow going wrong especially in complications.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #4 - 02/06/06 at 16:24:48
Post Tools
Wasn't there a book called Take My Rooks!, a bunch of years ago? =)

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 02/06/06 at 14:54:04
Post Tools
Well, simply, value varies with fase of the game, and especially rooks normally have to wait until the endgame to demonstrate their worth. So if you are sure there will be no endgame it is an easy decision...

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #2 - 02/06/06 at 12:47:49
Post Tools
Here is the game I was talking about.

1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 Nf6 3.c4 e6 4.g3 Be7 5.Bg2 0-0 6.0-0 c6 7.Qc2 Nbd7 8.Nbd2 b6 9.b3 Bb7 10.Bb2 Rc8 11.e4 c5 12.exd5 exd5 13.Qf5 dxc4 14.Nxc4 cxd4 15.Nxd4 Bxg2 16.Kxg2 Rc5 17.Qf3 b5 18.Ne3 Ne5 19.Qe2 Qa8+ 20.f3 b4 21.Ndf5 Re8 22.Bd4 Bf8 23.Bxc5 Bxc5 24.Rac1 Bb6 25.Nd6 Neg4 26.Nxe8 Nxe3+ 27.Kh1 Qxe8 28.Rfe1 Qa8 29.h3 Nfd5 30.Kh2 h5 31.Qd3 h4 32.gxh4 Qb8+ 33.Kh1 g6 34.Rg1 Qf4 35.Qe4 Qxe4 36.fxe4 Nc3 37.a3 Nxe4 38.axb4

CastleRock

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo