Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) colle zukertort (Read 73107 times)
osprey
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: colle zukertort
Reply #5 - 08/27/07 at 10:02:32
Post Tools
Quote:
Unfortunately, comfortable positions are simply a part of life in the Colle-Zukertort.  If you are dissatisfied with this, you should probably play something more ambitious.  I had a similar problem myself a few years ago.  I came to the conclusion that it is unreasonable to expect an advantage against a strong player in this opening.  If you press too hard in some of these equal positions, you can easily end up worse!

On the flip side, this structure is probably not a bad way to play for a win as Black against weaker opposition in the Classical Queen's Indian Defense.  It's not a bad opening, but don't worry about seeking an advantage.

guess I was hoping too much for a quick win - thanks for your wise words

IP Logged

nyoke
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 08/27/07 at 09:55:37
Post Tools
But I doubt very much if the CZ is the ideal blitz/rapid weapon. It seemsq moer apt for 'slow' play to me.

IP Logged

osprey
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/27/07 at 09:43:48
Post Tools
alumbrado wrote on 08/26/07 at 21:42:28:
The fact that you're starting with 1.Nf3 suggests an idea to me: have you considered meeting 1.Nf3 d5 with 2.b3!? and aiming for a CZ that way?  I haven't thought through all the ramifications but it might be one way to go?

thanks for an interesting idea; there is a club blitz coming up so I'll gve it a try there

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #2 - 08/26/07 at 21:42:28
Post Tools
The fact that you're starting with 1.Nf3 suggests an idea to me: have you considered meeting 1.Nf3 d5 with 2.b3!? and aiming for a CZ that way?  I haven't thought through all the ramifications but it might be one way to go?

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

X
God Member

Education is a system
of imposed ignorance.Chomsky

Reply #1 - 08/26/07 at 20:04:05
Post Tools
Unfortunately, comfortable positions are simply a part of life in the Colle-Zukertort.  If you are dissatisfied with this, you should probably play something more ambitious.  I had a similar problem myself a few years ago.  I came to the conclusion that it is unreasonable to expect an advantage against a strong player in this opening.  If you press too hard in some of these equal positions, you can easily end up worse!

On the flip side, this structure is probably not a bad way to play for a win as Black against weaker opposition in the Classical Queen's Indian Defense.  It's not a bad opening, but don't worry about seeking an advantage.

Power to the People!&&http://www.gravel2008.us/           http://www.nationalinitiative.us/&&Mike Gravel for President 2008

IP Logged

osprey
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

colle zukertort
08/26/07 at 12:25:38
Post Tools
I was keen to try the CZ for the first time but, in a recent rapidplay tournment, after 1.Nf3 d5 2.d4 Nf6 3.e3 c5 4.b3 cxd4 black already had a comfortable position. 

After the game my opponent suggested 4.dxc5 with a kind of reversed QGA.  Are there any games with this continuation as I have not been able to find any?  is there a more Colle style continuation as 4.c3 seems a bit passive?

Osprey

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo