Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Starting Out: Accelerated Dragon (Read 72939 times)
MNb
YaBB Moderator

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Starting Out: Accelerated Dragon
Reply #75 - 09/27/08 at 14:17:09
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 09/27/08 at 04:29:44:
Off topic observation: Improving analytical and evaluation skills will move you from 1700 to 1800 to 1900 to 2000 etc. Improving only your opening knowledge will move you from 1700 to 1720 provided your opponents don't inadvertanlty deviate from the beaten track.  

My name is Topnotch and I approve this message. Smiley

And what about testing analytical and evaluation skills in opening theory?
It must be a comfort that at least one regular contributor approves your message.  Wink

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #74 - 09/27/08 at 04:29:44
Post Tools
Fernando Semprun wrote on 09/26/08 at 19:40:24:
Hmmm the RL book would be good if the subject was not iffy. 5.Qe2 is just not good enough, and however well explained, the positions are a bit like those 2.c3 Sicilian books. That may be the problem with the Lopez, black always chooses the variation and white should play main lines...

Accelerated Dragon - A useful drawing weapon in the mould of the Petroff and Berlin.

The Worrall System - More or less useless against 5...Bc5, but the Worrall is only half the book so you can still get it for the non 3...a6 lines provided dealers are willing to accept half price.

The Centre Game - Playable so long as no one writes about it, but practically unplayable once an author brings it into the spotlight. Usually a telling sign that an opening is wanting. 

In the absence of mainline knowledge and understanding one needs a very good technique to win with lesser alternatives, simply because they provide less opportunity for a clear edge.

Off topic observation: Improving analytical and evaluation skills will move you from 1700 to 1800 to 1900 to 2000 etc. Improving only your opening knowledge will move you from 1700 to 1720 provided your opponents don't inadvertanlty deviate from the beaten track. 

My name is Topnotch and I approve this message. Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #73 - 09/26/08 at 19:40:24
Post Tools
Hmmm the RL book would be good if the subject was not iffy. 5.Qe2 is just not good enough, and however well explained, the positions are a bit like those 2.c3 Sicilian books. That may be the problem with the Lopez, black always chooses the variation and white should play main lines...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

belgian

Passionate about chess
and poker...

Reply #72 - 09/22/08 at 20:32:07
Post Tools
richard_dumoulin wrote on 09/22/08 at 18:21:34:
Please write one about a defence against 1d4

Your wish just might come true:

http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=480

<pierre/>

IP Logged

richard_dumoulin
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #71 - 09/22/08 at 18:21:34
Post Tools
Andrew, only 2 words: Greaaaat Boooook

Many thanks

Please write one about a defence against 1d4

Cheers

-- Richard

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #70 - 09/16/08 at 13:51:08
Post Tools
I purchased the book and I believe is one of the best opening books I have ever read. In fact, I'll get the RL one straight away.

Last night I was smiling at the title. This is certainly no 'starting out'. And fantastic about the why's and the why not's. All of us have databases and engines, so the difference is certainly going to be in the 'explanations'

Don't even wish all books were as good as this one, otherwise one would not derive such pleasure.

In short, MANY THANKS, Mr. Greet!  Smiley

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #69 - 08/12/08 at 12:43:34
Post Tools
Quote:
How is your experience with 8...Nd5? What turns me a bit off this move is the line 9.Nxd5 cxd5 10.Qxd5 Rb8 11.Bxa7!?

In fact, I only faced this line once OTB (and for the moment, my only loss OTB in about 10 Accelerated Dragon OTB) in December 2007 against a young and strong French IM, it seems to be his "speciality", he played the whole theory at tempo, I did too until my knowledge ended in a still very forced and very sharp position that lead into a draw with best play. Unfortunately, I missed the good move, hard to find OTB where I was losing but he needed to think by himself then and needed to be precise to win, or even to not lose. So he played that against me because he tought I would not know the whole line, and it worked but he could have fail, I would have been happy to draw with that IM but he would'nt. He recognized the risk at the end of the game and was afraid I would find the right path after my long thinking, and said that he will now look another line against the AC.

So against a stronger player, 8..Nd5 may be indeed strong. And about a weaker opponent, he may manage to draw if he knows the theory well,but how many "weak" player knows that far? But the risk is there... In fact against a lower opponent I would be much afraid to face the Maroczy because I play the Gurgenidze, and the lines with Whit'es Be3...Nd5 with the queen's exchange is more drawish than anything else. That may be a reason to have 2 openings, for example the accelerated Dragon against a stronger opponent and Najdorf against weaker  Smiley

IP Logged

Swiss_Dragon

Reply #68 - 08/11/08 at 09:38:53
Post Tools
Yes, ArKheiN, he gives it as "a perfectly valid option", although 8...Ng8 is his "personal preference". How is your experience with 8...Nd5? What turns me a bit off this move is the line 9.Nxd5 cxd5 10.Qxd5 Rb8 11.Bxa7!? Is there any chance to win this against a weaker player? The variation leading to a drawish ending seems pretty much forced.

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #67 - 08/11/08 at 08:38:22
Post Tools
Swiss_Dragon, does Greet cover the important and my favourite alternative 8..Nd5?

IP Logged

Swiss_Dragon

Reply #66 - 08/09/08 at 20:50:12
Post Tools
Hi once more, Mr. Greet. Thanks for your reply to my previous question. Now I have another one. In the accelerated dragon after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 g6 5.Nc3 Bg7 6.Be3 Nf6 7.Nxc6 bxc6 8.e5 Ng8 9.Bd4 Qa5 you found the move 10.f4 inaccurate because of your suggestion 10..Rb8, which I played in one game. My opponent reacted with 11.Qd2!? leaving the pawn on b2 en prise. This move is not listed in your book and I wondered how to refute it. It seemed clear to me that I must take the pawn on b2 either immediately or after inclusion of 11..c5 12.Be3. After a long thought I dismissed the move 11...c5 because of the weakening of the White squares, especially d5. I expected 12.Bc4, one idea being Bb3 and the other to develop the pieces as quick as possible. E.g. 12...Nh6 (or 12...d6) 13.Bb3 or 12...f6 13.0-0 fxe5 14.Rab1 and White looks better. Thus I played immediate 11...Rxd2 which allowed White to regain the pawn with 12.Ne4 (Nd5 being an interesting option) 12...Qxd2 13.Kxd2 Rb7 14.Ba6 Rc7 15.Bxc8 Rxc8 16.Bxa7 f6 17.Bd4 fxe5 18.Bxe5 Bxe5 19.fxe5 Nh6 and hoped to exploit the White pawn weaknesses. However it turned out that White's a-pawn more than compensates the weaknesses. So, is 10...Rb8 really the way to go? How should Black improve afterwards?

IP Logged

IM Andrew Greet

Reply #65 - 05/25/08 at 20:12:20
Post Tools
Sorry for the late reply - haven't checked this thread for a while.

This looks like a reasonable try for White, although I see it has only been played those few games. I would suggest 15...axb4 16.axb4 and now perhaps 16...Nf6 (Alonso exchanged on a1 first, but clearly this can only help White). White is probably a little better here, but the black position is playable enough; two pairs of minor pieces have been exchanged (including the dark squared bishops - a definite boon!) and the open a-file will constantly distract White from a central or kingside build-up. White should definitely play 17.Qe3 or 17.Qd4 next, in order to prevent ...Qb6 and control the dark squares generally. Black might then put the queen on c7 followed perhaps by ...Rfc8, ...Qd8 to challenge the a-file, or alternatively ...Bd7-e6 to target c4.

Hope this helps. As I said I think White has a modest edge here, but I certainly wouldn't let this line put me off the 9...Nxd4 move order.

IP Logged

Swiss_Dragon

Reply #64 - 05/14/08 at 07:51:37
Post Tools
Mr. Greet, I've got your book about the accelerated dragon and I like pretty much how you explain the ideas of this system. Smiley

In the classical variation of the Maroczy bind I'm wondering what move order to choose for Black, 9...Bd7 or 9...Nxd4. In your book you don't mention one interesting possibility for the White player after 9...Nxd4 10.Bxd4 Bd7 11.Qd3 a5. Now White can play 12.b3 when 12...Bc6 is met by 13.a3 Nd7 14.Bxg7 Kxg7 15.b4 as in Pelletier-Wirthensohn and Vasquez-Alonso, which were both won by White. Doesn't White have a clear edge here?

IP Logged

ArKheiN
God Member

Reply #63 - 05/02/08 at 10:44:20
Post Tools
What do you mean by "new"? If I knew what was the supposed problematic line for Black I could respond what  I would play.
I don't have NIC yearbook 72.

IP Logged

alexbertonix
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 05/02/08 at 09:36:08
Post Tools
To Arkhein.

Greet's book does not cover 7...Nb4, which the author seems to find a bit risky, to say the least. NIC yearbook 72 also found the move dubious. Have you found anything new in this line ?

IP Logged

Kaziglub
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #61 - 05/01/08 at 19:47:31
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 04/30/08 at 23:28:09:
You guys might find it interesting that Dutch IM Merijn van Delft in Schaaknieuws recommends 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.d4 Bg7 (cxd4 4.Nxd4) 4.Nc3 cxd4 5.Nxd4, intending Nc6 6.Be3 Nf6 7.Bc4 0-0 8.Bb3 d6 9.f3 Bd7 10.Qd2 Nxd4 11.Bxd4 b5 12.a4. I consider this more or less as a moral victory for Black: no Maroczy, no Dragon Proper 9.0-0-0. It looks like Dragoneers should strongly consider 2...g6 indeed.

I think so !  Cool but you must be ready for the Schmidt benoni, although not a lot of 1.e4 want to play it...

You can think also about the "Mega-hyper-acc"  Wink 1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nc3 c5!?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo