Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) English vs Kings Indian Defence (Read 18825 times)
FM Dikkie

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: English vs Kings Indian Defence
Reply #4 - 08/11/08 at 09:42:41
Post Tools
For sure the Dembo book is out!

I bought it at a chess tournament in Dieren (Netherlands), already about 2 weeks ago.  Smiley

The variations start (of course) after 1.c4 Nf6 2. Nc3 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 0-0

Then she covers:
A:5.Nf3
B:5.e3
C:5.e4
D:5.d3

Because of copyright I guess I can't tell more! Wink

IP Logged

Caledonian
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 08/11/08 at 09:36:52
Post Tools
Dembo is not out yet I believe.

The book came out in the European Union in July. However, in the USA the publication date is the 20th of August.

http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=470

Even in the US that does not give white players long before black opponents will be trying out the suggested repertoire  vs 1c4/1N-f3

Put your order in now I say!

IP Logged

Black_Widow

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 08/11/08 at 02:27:29
Post Tools
I do not like the Bg5 move to much. It can also be replaced by an early Rb1, although that also has some disadvantages.

If you do not mind playing an equal position, then also the botwinnik can be used, including against the c5-lines (see also Soltis). However both Palliser and Dzindzichashvili give reasonable lines how to play against the botwinnik in the symmetrical english.

The white fianchetto plays nice against the KI, however it is quite some work, to sort out all variations, how to play. However most variations play intuitively.

Botwinnik used sometimes early b3 lines in the KI fianchetto lines, which cut down on the work, and those lines are also quite nice to play.

Dembo is not out yet I believe.

IP Logged

winawer77

Reply #1 - 08/10/08 at 13:50:02
Post Tools
Thanks for creating this thread, Calendonian. Its an important question - how can an English player meet the King's Indian while at the same time not getting move ordered out of his other English lines?

I'd be interested to hear what Dembo covers in 'Fighting the Anti-Kings Indians'. I initially though this would be restricted to 1.d4 lines, a kind of Cox's 'Dealing with d4 Deviations' only for ...g6 players (Cox's book is for Nimzo/QID players with ...e6).

Here are the main lines I can think of -

Closed Sicilian c4,Nf3,g3,Bg2,0-0,Nc3,d3 (Strategic Opening Repertoire)

Closed Sicilian with e3 - c4,g3,Bg2,Nc3,e3,Nge2 (Soltis?!)

Kosten's Bg5 - useful for keeping open transpositions to a Botvinnik setup (Dynamic English)

Extended Reti with b4 - Nf3,c4,b4 (Dynamic Reti)

IP Logged

Caledonian
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

English vs Kings Indian Defence
08/10/08 at 12:52:22
Post Tools
I have decided to create this thread following a comment from Winawer 77 in another thread.

When creating an English opening repertoire (or anything non 1.e4), I think the key question you need to answer is how to meet the King's Indian setup. I also think that this is the potential weak point of Kosten's repertoire - not so much because of the actual line itself (he recommends Bg5) but because the KID is so popular, I think a more potent weapon is required.

I am not sure if I agree a Kings Indian structure is the only critical response for a repertoire with 1c4 but its undeniably very important.

I cannot help feeling there is lot more information out there for KID players than English players.

For example, we have the recent book Fighting the Anti-Kings Indians: by Yelena Dembo which I hear has good coverage for KID players meeting 1c4 or 1N-f3.

Has anyone read this yet? How detailed is Dembo's coverage of potential approaches by white in the English or Reti?

I think Nigel Davies book 'The Dynamic Reti' is one that comes to mind with good coverage for tackling a KID formation ( a system used by Reti and Smyslov based on an early b4). Any other suggestions?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo