Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I voted. (Read 36845 times)
trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: I voted.
Reply #116 - 11/23/08 at 15:45:42
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 11/23/08 at 15:02:33:
HgMan wrote on 11/23/08 at 14:06:35:
I must admit, I agree with Markovich: let's not confuse success with strategic brilliance.  Grant was a very good general (Eisenhower, too), but both had significant advantages that made victory a relative inevitability...

Grant used the advantages and was the first to think out and execute a strategy that won the war.
Eisenhower is imo greatly underestimated, having to deal with a drunk PM, De Gaulle and certain generals who thought they were Alexander reincarnated and in the meantime executing one of the biggest operations in history.

yes, I agree. You must not confuse signficant advantage to presume lack of talent. If that were the case, Alexander the Great would be a nobody owing all his victories to Phillip's well trained Army.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #115 - 11/23/08 at 15:02:33
Post Tools
HgMan wrote on 11/23/08 at 14:06:35:
I must admit, I agree with Markovich: let's not confuse success with strategic brilliance.  Grant was a very good general (Eisenhower, too), but both had significant advantages that made victory a relative inevitability...

Grant used the advantages and was the first to think out and execute a strategy that won the war.
Eisenhower is imo greatly underestimated, having to deal with a drunk PM, De Gaulle and certain generals who thought they were Alexander reincarnated and in the meantime executing one of the biggest operations in history.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #114 - 11/23/08 at 14:06:35
Post Tools
I must admit, I agree with Markovich: let's not confuse success with strategic brilliance.  Grant was a very good general (Eisenhower, too), but both had significant advantages that made victory a relative inevitability...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #113 - 11/22/08 at 23:28:54
Post Tools
HgMan wrote on 11/22/08 at 20:50:41:
Markovich wrote on 11/17/08 at 14:07:07:
With the possible exception of Lee, America has never produced any brilliant generals, and it's probably a good thing, too.

Sherman?  More than any other general, he brought the South to its knees.  History also teaches us that Longstreet was Lee's strategic superior at Gettysburg.  Nevertheless, point taken...

um... Eisenhower? Grant? your statement is very shocking and untrue. Even our mediocore generals like Patton, Bradley and MacArthur (okay macarthur is TERRIBLE) were pretty damn good just each with some sort of flaw.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #112 - 11/22/08 at 20:50:41
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 11/17/08 at 14:07:07:
With the possible exception of Lee, America has never produced any brilliant generals, and it's probably a good thing, too.

Sherman?  More than any other general, he brought the South to its knees.  History also teaches us that Longstreet was Lee's strategic superior at Gettysburg.  Nevertheless, point taken...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #111 - 11/17/08 at 14:07:07
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 11/16/08 at 12:53:13:
Markovich wrote on 11/11/08 at 18:37:57:
However empty the question may be of modern significance, it's interesting to speculate how the war might have turned out differently, a point that has been debated here.

I don't think this question empty at all, something you in fact prove in the rest of your post. Your whole description awfully reminds me of the events during WW-I and the idea certainly does not originate from me that the American Civil War was a precursor of the War that was supposed To End All Wars.

That's very true, in that it was a war waged on an industrial scale (by one side, anyway).  In many ways in fact, the Union's way of fighting the Civil War became the template for all future American wars: produce vast quantities of war materiel, put a lot of people in uniform, and build sufficient means to deliver it all to the war zone.  War would become primarily a logistical exercise, and victory would be obtained by sheer weight much more than by brilliant maneuvers.  The campaigns of the self-regarding Patton and the even more self-regarding MacArthur were by no means counter-examples.  With the possible exception of Lee, America has never produced any brilliant generals, and it's probably a good thing, too. 

The Civil war also provided the template for trench warfare, which emerged in spite of the absence of machine guns.  This was a lesson that went unheeded in Europe.
« Last Edit: 11/17/08 at 16:31:59 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #110 - 11/16/08 at 12:58:45
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 11/14/08 at 14:01:36:
There is not among the core, upper-crust Republicans, but their agenda requires a "divide and rule" approach to politics.  Hence the emphasis on anything and everything that divides.  The cultural causes that they have latched upon, to this end, are those that strongly appeal to the uneducated, and equally repulse the educated.  Further the American South (I mean the South proper and not the portions of it that have been contaminated with benign modernity) is vast expanse of ignorance, cultural resentment and flat-out hatred, and pandering to all this is part and parcel of the "Southern Strategy."

Has this political strategy something to do with the Republican Party being unable to generate capable candidates? In spite of their political ideas, with which I did not agree, nobody can deny that Eisenhower and possibly Bush sr. were capable. But the others remind me of Churchill's comment on Neville Chamberlain.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #109 - 11/16/08 at 12:53:13
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 11/11/08 at 18:37:57:
However empty the question may be of modern significance, it's interesting to speculate how the war might have turned out differently, a point that has been debated here.

I don't think this question empty at all, something you in fact prove in the rest of your post. Your whole description awfully reminds me of the events during WW-I and the idea certainly does not originate from me that the American Civil War was a precursor of the War that was supposed To End All Wars.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #108 - 11/16/08 at 12:47:00
Post Tools
Nietzsche wrote on 11/10/08 at 06:11:34:
And since I'd rather not hop onto a merry-go-round of what 'necessity' means or how something can be both determined and yet still arbitrary, I think I'll go ahead and take that 'high road' you mentioned earlier and cease to post here.  
Back to chess and away from amateur philosophy!

There is nothing wrong with amateur philosophy I hope; I am an amateur myself and still highly interested. The only problem arises when the amateur thinks he has developed a hermetical philosophical system (as far as I know only the 19th century Nietzsche succeeded in this and I am very aware my IQ is much lower than his was) and concentrates his/her intellectual efforts on defending it at all costs, using ad hoc arguments and patchwork, instead of trying sharping his/her thinking. Paulsen got his buttocks exposed, as we Dutch like to say. If he's indeed 20-23 years old, which I also assumed, I must add that at his age my argumentation and logic were even lamer than his. Unless he wants to wallow in his absolute knowledge I advise to try harder to follow other people's line of thinking instead of scoring cheap points and trying to "win" a debate. These are important goals in politics but quite useless in philosophy.
And yes, I do admit that my claim that a social contract does not exist is dubious.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #107 - 11/14/08 at 14:01:36
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 11/13/08 at 19:58:45:
With the election over, I am totally lost to understand America's fascination with Sarah Pallin. She seems to be on every American network giving interviews, and yet she really does not appear to be particularly smart or knowledgeable to put it mildly. Yet, I saw a recent poll that some 65% of Republicans considered her their top choice for President in 2012. Huh  Shocked But I guess these are the same people that love George W. Bush.

More and more, I can understand why the majority of college educated Americans and post grad educated Americans are voted for Obama. Interestedly enough it seems that more of the people who earn over $250,000 - who tend to be better educated - and would have to pay more tax under Obama still voted for him. Why is there such an anti-intellectural bias among Republicans?

There is not among the core, upper-crust Republicans, but their agenda requires a "divide and rule" approach to politics.  Hence the emphasis on anything and everything that divides.  The cultural causes that they have latched upon, to this end, are those that strongly appeal to the uneducated, and equally repulse the educated.  Further the American South (I mean the South proper and not the portions of it that have been contaminated with benign modernity) is vast expanse of ignorance, cultural resentment and flat-out hatred, and pandering to all this is part and parcel of the "Southern Strategy."

I was not surprised recently to read that Southern whites in such states as Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Lousiana and Arkansas voted for McCain in much greater proportion than they voted for Bush, and turned out in larger numbers besides. There is only one possible explanation for that, and that is the color of Obama's skin.
« Last Edit: 11/14/08 at 15:33:58 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #106 - 11/13/08 at 19:58:45
Post Tools
With the election over, I am totally lost to understand America's fascination with Sarah Pallin. She seems to be on every American network giving interviews, and yet she really does not appear to be particularly smart or knowledgeable to put it mildly. Yet, I saw a recent poll that some 65% of Republicans considered her their top choice for President in 2012. Huh  Shocked But I guess these are the same people that love George W. Bush.

More and more, I can understand why the majority of college educated Americans and post grad educated Americans are voted for Obama. Interestedly enough it seems that more of the people who earn over $250,000 - who tend to be better educated - and would have to pay more tax under Obama still voted for him. Why is there such an anti-intellectural bias among Republicans?

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #105 - 11/11/08 at 18:37:57
Post Tools
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 11/11/08 at 05:20:53:
I really love history.  I really don't like this discussion, in which both sides have misrepresented what happened in the Civil War.  I agree that Lincoln one of our greatest presidents, but his stance on slavery was problematic.

Lincoln was great in three special ways.  Lincoln fought for the UNION of the United States.  Shelby Foote accurately stated that before the Civil War, we had these United States, and after the Civil War we had the United States.

Lincoln was a great orator who used the power of his speech and office to great effect, even when his own commander in chief ran against him in the middle of the war!  

Lincoln was strong enough to admit when he was wrong.  The Gettysburg Address and the Emancipation Proclamation were tentative but necessary steps towards the great amendments of Reconstruction.

To argue that the South was going to give up its slaves is simply anti-historical.  The South fought for its slaves all the way through the 1960s.  The letters of plantation owners to their former slaves show this.  Calhoun's famous defense of slavery shows this.  Dredd Scott shows this.  Any sensible reading of the historical record shows this.  

Yes, soldiers of the Confederacy complained that they were fighting for lazy slaves, but they still fought.  The Union troops knew what they were fighting for, and after the New York Draft Riots and Sherman's March, volunteerism started to climb.  This was the real deathknell of the Confederacy.

But all this talk of Lincoln and the Confederacy is a red herring.  The real argument is over whether the Constitution is about States' Rights or about a nation.  The Civil War and the 14th Amendment concluded that argument, but it is still being fought by some who think 19th Century capitalism and jurisprudence was in some way superior to today's society.  We are much better off today than any but the very richest white folk of the 19th Century.

Oh, and while I'm at it... if a political theory is only good for one nation and doesn't work in Europe, it's not much good as a political theory in this age of globalization.  The US is part of the international society that it helped to create.   (This criticism is equally valid for pure Marxism as it is for pure Liberalism.)

Well expressed, and all quite true.  Still I must say that it's rather disturbing to encounter here (of all places) advocacy of the Confederate cause, which on a modern moral dimension ranks rather close to that of Adolph Hitler.

Like many Americans, I have read extensively of the history of the Civil War.  However empty the question may be of modern significance, it's interesting to speculate how the war might have turned out differently, a point that has been debated here.  In this connection, it is widely recognized that the war was won in the West (west of the Appalachians, that is), a vast region where the federal navy dominated the waterways and transported large bodies of troops pretty much wherever it wished, and where the South went from defeat to defeat.  For all the mighty and storied battles fought in the East, not one was decisive.

I read somewhere that given the limited powers of movement of the armies of the day, and given the preponderance of strength that rifled musketry and light artillery gave to the defense, the destruction of one large army by another of similar size was more or less impossible.  Indeed there is just one example of this having happened east of the Mississippi, when George Thomas annihilated the Confederate "Army of the Tennessee" at Nashville.  But this was a special case, where the Southerners were badly demoralized, well beyond their sources of supply, moderately outnumbered, and foolishly lauched a do-or-die attack against well-prepared positions.  Otherwise, the larger engagements of the Civil War were toe-to-toe pugilism on a vast scale, preceded and followed by mutually ineffective and poorly informed stumbling around.  In that context, it was often possible to claim "victory" on the basis of a nice tactic, a lower casualty count or eventual possession of the field, but actual victory stood well out of reach.  There were some general officers of the day who understood this, but Lee, who always pursued the dream of utterly destroying the enemy host, did not.

Not even Gettysburg, for all of its fabled significance, was remotely decisive; it merely became necessary for the Confederate army to retreat.  Had the Confederates somehow "won" a dime-a-dozen tactical victory -- the usual scenario being their timely seizure of Culp's Hill -- this would merely have necessitated a federal withdrawal, the next plausible line of defense being Rock Creek.  And the Confederate supply system almost certainly was not up to supporting another major battle north of the Potomac in any case.

The story of the Civil War is the story of a major mid-19th-Century industrial power grinding a late-18th-century agrarian society into submission.  I read somewhere that the Union army built more railways in the South than existed there before the war.  During the course of the war, the north built a larger sea navy than Britain's, and a major riverine navy in the West, besides.  The South "built" a few ships by refurbishing salvaged bottoms, and armored them, for want of anything better, with the torn-up tracks of its own railroads.  I do recall Shelby Foote remarking that for all the scale of its military operations, northern society was not really on a war footing at any time, pointing to continuation right through the war not only of classes at the Ivy League colleges, but of the intercollegiate boat races!  He said that if the South had ever actually threatened to win the war, the North would simply have taken its other hand out from behind its back, and used it to beat the South with.
« Last Edit: 11/11/08 at 22:23:56 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #104 - 11/11/08 at 05:20:53
Post Tools
I really love history.  I really don't like this discussion, in which both sides have misrepresented what happened in the Civil War.  I agree that Lincoln one of our greatest presidents, but his stance on slavery was problematic.

Lincoln was great in three special ways.  Lincoln fought for the UNION of the United States.  Shelby Foote accurately stated that before the Civil War, we had these United States, and after the Civil War we had the United States.

Lincoln was a great orator who used the power of his speech and office to great effect, even when his own commander in chief ran against him in the middle of the war! 

Lincoln was strong enough to admit when he was wrong.  The Gettysburg Address and the Emancipation Proclamation were tentative but necessary steps towards the great amendments of Reconstruction.

To argue that the South was going to give up its slaves is simply anti-historical.  The South fought for its slaves all the way through the 1960s.  The letters of plantation owners to their former slaves show this.  Calhoun's famous defense of slavery shows this.  Dredd Scott shows this.  Any sensible reading of the historical record shows this. 

Yes, soldiers of the Confederacy complained that they were fighting for lazy slaves, but they still fought.  The Union troops knew what they were fighting for, and after the New York Draft Riots and Sherman's March, volunteerism started to climb.  This was the real deathknell of the Confederacy.

But all this talk of Lincoln and the Confederacy is a red herring.  The real argument is over whether the Constitution is about States' Rights or about a nation.  The Civil War and the 14th Amendment concluded that argument, but it is still being fought by some who think 19th Century capitalism and jurisprudence was in some way superior to today's society.  We are much better off today than any but the very richest white folk of the 19th Century.

Oh, and while I'm at it... if a political theory is only good for one nation and doesn't work in Europe, it's not much good as a political theory in this age of globalization.  The US is part of the international society that it helped to create.   (This criticism is equally valid for pure Marxism as it is for pure Liberalism.)

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #103 - 11/10/08 at 19:39:22
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 11/10/08 at 15:44:39:
BPaulsen wrote on 11/10/08 at 02:21:24:
Markovich wrote on 11/10/08 at 02:14:40:
BPaulsen wrote on 11/07/08 at 23:22:07:
You're probably one of those people that think Lincoln was a great president just because he freed the slaves.  

No actually, I think that Lincoln was a great president because he ran his ramrod d--k up several hundred thousand Johnny a--es.  Sincerely, Johnny boy.

Just can't give it up, can you? Mr. "I'm done with this" twice now.

Grin

You're a joke. If you're going to pretend to be high-and-mighty at least follow through with it.

No, and actually, I have a perfect right to speak even if I said fifteen times before that talking to you wasn't worth the time.  I spoke again just to say, in a deliberately rude way, that Lincoln was a great president, the greatest, because he waged and won a righteous war that should have been waged and should have been won, and which transformed this nation into what it is today.  And I find the idea that there is some Johnny Reb wannabe out there who dreams of undoing the history of this country partly amusing and also, partly, deeply offensive.  That is why I spoke again.

"Slavery wasn't even popular in the South."  I didn't think that such blinkered ignorance was possible.  To preserve slavery is the essential reason the rebellion occurred.

you see I caught the hint he wasn't worth talking to when he identified himself as a reagantic. Those guys are reknown for reconstructuring history the way they wished it had happened. lol

IP Logged

BPaulsen
God Member

I Love Light Squares!

Reply #102 - 11/10/08 at 17:48:18
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 11/10/08 at 15:44:39:
No, and actually, I have a perfect right to speak even if I said fifteen times before that talking to you wasn't worth the time.  I spoke again just to say, in a deliberately rude way, that Lincoln was a great president, the greatest, because he waged and won a righteous war that should have been waged and should have been won, and which transformed this nation into what it is today.  And I find the idea that there is some Johnny Reb wannabe out there who dreams of undoing the history of this country partly amusing and also, partly, deeply offensive.  That is why I spoke again.

Cheesy

The South shouldn't have left the union in the first place, but that's another issue entirely.

The war may have been righteous, the conduct of it by Lincoln was anything but.

You can hold to your idealistic notions of him though, if it makes you sleep better at night.

Quote:
"Slavery wasn't even popular in the South."  I didn't think that such blinkered ignorance was possible.  To preserve slavery is the essential reason the rebellion occurred.

State's rights were the primary reason the war occurred. Slavery was further down the list, and this is ridiculously common knowledge.

2288 USCF, 2186 FIDE.

FIDE based on just 27 games.
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo