Latest Updates:
Normal Topic From alekhine to scandinavian??? (Read 4934 times)
peon4rey
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: From alekhine to scandinavian???
Reply #6 - 12/15/08 at 23:27:18
Post Tools
Thanks for your advice, i ll buy the martin DVD on Qd6 and then...i ll decide. Thanks

IP Logged

spam fritter
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 12/13/08 at 00:04:24
Post Tools
Don't ditch 3 years of experience on the Alekhine is my advice. I think the positions are slightly more rich and amorphous than in the Scandinavian with more scope for White to go wrong.

I have had similar issues in the past - my 1.e4 repertoire is pirc/alekhine/scandinavian, probably in that order (as I pick up quite a few pircs through the 1d4 d6 2 e4 move order).

You may find Qa5 scandinavian is not spicy enough after playing Alekhines (eg pawn structure is important in the former such as pawns on e6 & c6 looking to attack d4)

I have also been on the wrong end of several minatures with the Qa5 Scandinavian (which tempers my view somewhat - I know it probably shouldn't) and have therefore looked more closely at Qd6 and 2... Nf6

Why not consider the pirc to supplement the Alekhine instead, particularly if you play the fianchetto variations? That provides an easy answer to 2 Nc3 which you don't otherwise like.

On 2 Nc3 I know that Cox liked it, citing Hector's influence, but i am always pleased to see it - usually it means a ducking of the challenge and have only faced 1e4 Nf6 2 Nc3 d5 3. e5 Ne4 4.Nce2 once in 10 years playing Alekhines (although I lost! - there is a moral somwhere in there) - often  games  vs 2000 rated opponents end up with dross like 1 e4 Nf6 2 Nc3 d5 3 exd5 when black can be happy.

If going for the Scandinavian Qd6 I found the Martin DVD (well reviewed by Watson on TWIC I recall) really helpful. I found the 1st edition of Melts hard to navigate and rather gave up on it - I will however be very keen to buy the 2nd edition and like tafl would be grateful for some extra info on that when available

IP Logged

tafl

Reply #4 - 12/12/08 at 10:21:18
Post Tools
TN,

Do you have any information (publisher, publication date etc.) about the new edition of Melts' 3...Qd6 book?

A computer once beat me at chess but it was no match for me at kick boxing - Emo Philips

IP Logged

peon4rey
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/03/08 at 21:59:45
Post Tools
Hi, I started to play after i saw tha martin DVD The Scheming Scandinavian. Do you think that theory change? What are the worst problemas for black in the Qa5 line?
Is it a good idea change the alekhine for the scandinavian? (I see that this defense has numerous gambits)
Thanks

IP Logged

Strategy_Rules

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/03/08 at 13:07:46
Post Tools
Quote:
I have found a clear path to an advantage after 3...Qa5, but not after 3...Qd6

Intersting. For me its actually the other way around Smiley In the 3...Qa5 line white might have a tiny advantage in the shirov line (there are actually other lines with a similar outcome) but not more in my opinion.

But below 2100 FIDE ELO nearly every opening is playable in my view, so why not the scandinavian ?

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #1 - 12/01/08 at 21:14:54
Post Tools
It seems to me that the positions arising from the Alekhine may not suit your style.

There are two books being released on the Scandinavian in the near future:

The 3...Qd6 Scandinavian, 2nd edition by Michael Melts
Starting Out: The Scandinavian by Jovanka Houska

Generally speaking, the Scandinavian can be played at all levels, as shown by Tiviakov in Wijk Aan Zee 2-3 years ago. Personally I think the 3...Qd6 Scandinavian is slightly stronger than the 3...Qa5 Scandinavian (I have found a clear path to an advantage after 3...Qa5, but not after 3...Qd6).

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

peon4rey
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

From alekhine to scandinavian???
12/01/08 at 20:52:04
Post Tools
I ve been playing the alekhine since 2005, however now i found that all my oposition  play 2.Nc3 (I dont like this type of positions) or they know the theory so well that i cant get good positions. I am studing the scandinavian from (Scandinavian Easy Way and The Scheming Scandinavian). I am thinking to start with Qa5 and then study Qd6. What do you think? What is the state of the thoery now? Is it good at 1900-2100?
Thanks

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo