Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C00: French wing gambit (b4) material...from white (Read 5756 times)
trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: French wing gambit (b4) material...from white
Reply #6 - 03/26/09 at 05:17:25
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 03/26/09 at 02:09:09:
I don't understand this post. You are giving the same line as saubhikr did, aren't you? So what is the difference? Could you list the moves for both variations so even I get it?!

haha you're right I thought his moves were different move order nevermind. I should learn to read I guess.

These two books will cover what you are looking for: 1) Four Gambits to beat the French by Tim Harding and 2) Steffen Pedersen's French: Advance and Other Lines (who only has about 3 pages on it... but the pages are worth the entire book.)

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 03/26/09 at 02:09:09
Post Tools
trw wrote on 03/26/09 at 01:33:46:
there isn't a single book on this line.  Those of you who are saying this has been covered in a book are probably wrong and confusing it with the move order I list people.

I have been playing it religiously in correspondence and otb. I have won all 20.5/21 score with between OTB and corr.  This is not the normal wing gambit which is move order 1. e4 e6 2. Nf3 d5 3. e5 c5 4. b4 which omits playing the pawn to d4. This position is covered by about 12 books (including done quite well by Gambiteer I by GM Nigel Davies, Four Gambits to beat the French by Tim Harding and probably done the BEST by Steffen Pedersen's French: Advance and Other Lines (who only has about 3 pages on it... but the pages are worth the entire book.)

All books argue though it is best to omit playing d4 which makes this gambit kind of weird right off the bat because you're allowing 4. cxd4 but also have to worry about 4. cxb4

I don't understand this post. You are giving the same line as saubhikr did, aren't you? So what is the difference? Could you list the moves for both variations so even I get it?!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

urusov

Reply #4 - 03/26/09 at 02:02:53
Post Tools
I absolutely agree that Gambiteer I is problematic, and I generally distrust authors who ignore the most important lines.  Yet I agree with Davies's basic approach, since I also want to make the Wing Gambit with an early 5. d4 work because I do not like 5. a3 d4! at all for White (though Bosch tries hard to make this look playable).

Besides the weak treatment of the f6 break that you cite, Davies also ignores what most give as the "refutation" of 5.d4: 1. e4 e6 2. Nf3 d5 3. e5 c5 4. b4 cxb4 5. d4 Bd7 6. a3 Qa5 with the idea of Bb5.  But I think White has excellent chances with 7.Bd2 and if 7...Bb5?! (probably an error) then 8.axb4! looks quite strong for White.  You can find my analysis here:

http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/games/java/2008/french-wing-gambit.htm

I also include a fairly good bibliography at the end of the article which gives full info on the works cited by others above.

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

Reply #3 - 03/25/09 at 16:49:08
Post Tools
I looked into Gambiteer I. It is a thorough disappointment for me. Against the main line of black (with f6 break), he gives only one game and that also does not cover the main moves from black! The total number of games in French is also a few only. I bet if someone plays this based on this book, he has a tough time ahead. Do not know other sections, but against French, I won't rate Gambiteer I as high.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #2 - 03/24/09 at 17:59:16
Post Tools
saubhikr wrote on 03/24/09 at 16:33:08:
One of my friend is working on white side repertoire using Wing gambit (1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e5 c5 4.b4).

Can you suggest some good materials, sites that can help on this from white side?

Volume 1 of Secrets of Opening Surprises had a long article on this by Bosch, based on an earlier article of his in New in Chess magazine.

It was also covered in Four Gambits To Beat the French by Harding

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 03/24/09 at 16:47:43
Post Tools
Gambiteer 1 by Davies covers this . Any of Watson's French books may be useful although they are geared for Black.

IP Logged

saubhikr

Chess is a cruel game
but I still love it

C00: French wing gambit (b4) material...from white
03/24/09 at 16:33:08
Post Tools
One of my friend is working on white side repertoire using Wing gambit (1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.e5 c5 4.b4).

Can you suggest some good materials, sites that can help on this from white side?
« Last Edit: 07/25/11 at 17:11:02 by dom »  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo