Latest Updates:
Normal Topic improve your chess usefull? (Read 3097 times)
cyronix
Ex Member

Re:  improve your chess usefull?
Reply #5 - 05/06/09 at 12:38:46
Post Tools
it's not only the "material" that counts, it is also your environment ...
do you have people you can analyze games with ...
I find myself doing more physical exercise since I subscribed to the gym,
I am also training more cycling or running when I have a training partner.
at home only with your books you don't have the social pressure, that forces you to do something ... but in the end it depends on you if you *really want* to improve ... I guess you could also get yourself a trainer for regular training if you can afford it, that is probably the best.

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 05/05/09 at 15:47:04
Post Tools
I can't comment on the improveyourchess site as I don't subscribe to it ( Sorry Tony !). But any exercise which simulates real play is always a sensible way to improve.

Some old cliches in the following but I'd recommend:

Analyse your own games - see whether you like the opening, whether your errors were more tactical or positional mistakes, rate how well you played the endings, assess whether you are better attacker or defending, how comfortable are you gambiting or accepting a gambit ?

It is generally beneficial to play regularly to keep your natural feel for the game in shape.

Play through games in lines that you play.

Don't play lines that are beyond either your positional or tactical levels.

Follow Hebden and Arkell - these GMs are the masters of the weekend swiss events- worth considering adopting their ideas and applying them.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #3 - 05/05/09 at 11:04:34
Post Tools
Hakkenbar wrote on 05/02/09 at 14:05:29:
So, the question is: will "improve your chess" add anything to all the book knowledge I already have on my shelves.

You have a lot of books! You might find the improveyourchess.com site more conducive to improving, and you don't risk anything as if you don't improve you get your money back!
Wink

IP Logged

Funky
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/05/09 at 07:48:38
Post Tools
The Improve Your Chess site most does not contain more information than you will find in your books. However, it is well structured, you can play through the moves in the examples and there is a nice range of questions and puzzles. I registered a few weeks ago and while I have not yet had time to seriously study some of the topics, I have looked into it occasionally and find it useful as a supplemental method of learning in addition to the books I have. It pretty much depends on if you feel comfortable studying chess in front of your computer or not.

By the way, I'm in the same situation as you are (around 1800, want to reach 2000, 30 years old, lots of chess books, limited time, won't become an IM any time soon  Roll Eyes).

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #1 - 05/02/09 at 17:20:14
Post Tools
To break the 2000 boundary shouldnt be too ambitious.
Suggestion 1. Check if you have a reasonable grasp of practical endgame play.
(especially rook-endgames (basisc technique, 3 against 2 pawns, 4 against 3 pawns).
Suggestion 2. Your tactical ability has to be maintained. (work through van Wijgerden step 3 thru 5 again! and again, or find some other nice puzzle book). The important thing is that you train
regularly, so that you are able to recognize more tactical patterns.
This shouldnt be too time consuming, you can just solve from the diagrams half an hour or so, two times a week.
Suggestion 3 Review your opening repertoire. Are you comfortable with the positions you get?
(example: Are you often outplayed in closed positions, then alter your opening repertoire to avoid these...)
Look back at your own games. In which variations do you score badly? Study what went wrong, and look up how you should have played after the game.
Suggestion 4 Ask advice about mistakes and chances you missed, from stronger players on your club.
They probably will part with invaluable advice for a free beer. Wink
And try to remember what they said (sometimes difficult after a few beers  Sad )

Breaking the 2200-2300 boundary is much more difficult (you'll meet a lot of walking, talking databases!) But if elo- and title inflation maintain their present pace, even that may be attainable in another decade.

IP Logged

Hakkenbar
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

improve your chess usefull?
05/02/09 at 14:05:29
Post Tools
Does anyone have any experience with the "improveyourchess" website.
I am a 1800 player, and like so many patzers I'd like to break the 2000 boundary.
I play once a week at my chess club, but I am already stuck at 1800 ELO for many years. I have a busy job, and I am in my thirties, so most likely never will become a IM anymore Grin
I more or less figured out that I should play more, so probably I should subscribe to ICC or playchess.
I have 2,5 half shelves of chessbooks, but unfortunately, the  information in them doesn't automaticly  flow in your head. You actually have to study them Wink Lots of them are the "starting out" books, but also strategy guides (Silman's etc), endgame manuals etc . I have practised tactics till step 5 of the Dutch "step method" by van Wijgerden.
So, the question is: will "improve your chess" add anything to all the book knowledge I already have on my shelves. Because I have the impression that you will forget the passive knowledge you will acquire by reading these books quite quickly, I you don't apply it soon after in your own games.

Thanks for any feedback!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo