Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Guess the book (Read 6886 times)
Librarian
YaBB Newbies

FM

Re: Guess the book
Reply #17 - 09/25/09 at 07:28:24
Post Tools
I liked your comments a lot, and of course, Greet's "Play the QID" was right.

Regarding some other comments in the previous posts:
- *The* reference book still is Yrjola/Tella (2003), I think. Although not much longer, it covers by far more content since it's not as chatty and uses a smaller font. The last opening books I bought were from Quality chess going well beyond 300 or 400 pages, so yes, 256 pages is a poor effort.
- The QID is extremely heavy on theory. Greet bypasses 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 b6 4.g3 Ba6 5.b3 by suggesting ..b5, yet it doesn't quite work out, as he himself admits (cf. the quote on p. 244)
- I'm a FM with ELO just below 2300. I wouldn't buy a book that quoted one of my own games since I know how I stink in the opening.

On a different note, when will Everyman learn to properly put diagrams in their books?

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #16 - 09/24/09 at 18:25:06
Post Tools
Quote:
Congrats Fllg & Taljechin! perhaps you won a copy of this book?
The prologue doesn't look worse than Henry V's, sort of "...kindly to read, gently to judge, our book".

Since I didn't guess it right I doubt I've won anything. Not that I'd mind if I did, as it seems to be a good book!

5 of 5 from Carsten Hansen is nothing to be ashamed of and being mistaken for Marin, another top chess writer, as I mistakenly thought, is hardly an insult either. Or do you think so?

Many of the reviews on amazon are much worse than Librarian's opinions, and besides, just his comment "Being only 256 pages long" clearly indicates that he's expecting way more from a chess book than most sensible readers...

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 09/24/09 at 16:36:26
Post Tools
Congrats Fllg & Taljechin! perhaps you won a copy of this book?
The prologue doesn't look worse than Henry V's, sort of "...kindly to read, gently to judge, our book".

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #14 - 09/24/09 at 16:28:32
Post Tools
Ah, oops. Sorry Andrew.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 09/24/09 at 16:04:25
Post Tools
I don´t have "Play the QID", but it´s 256 pages long and got 5 stars from Hansen...

EDIT: Taljechin proved it Wink

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #12 - 09/24/09 at 16:03:24
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 09/24/09 at 15:42:57:
Isn´t Andrew Greet known to begin his introductions with "Greetings, dear reader"...

My guess ist "Play the Queen´s Indian".

Yep, you seem to be right. 256 pages and 5/5 and this:

IM Andrew Greet wrote on 01/20/09 at 13:54:45:
Here is the book's Preface, just to whet the appetite! (Hopefully Everyman won't mind me posting it here...)

Preface
Greetings, dear reader, and thank you for taking the time to read this book. The aim of this brief introduction is to set the scene for the remainder of the work by providing some relevant background information to our subject, as well explaining the ethos behind the proposed repertoire.
Whilst I hope and, indeed, expect this book to prove useful for players of a wide range of abilities, I would expect most readers to possess some basic knowledge of the fundamental principles underlying this opening. Therefore I have no intention to waste time by expounding such concepts as ‘controlling the central squares with pieces rather than pawns’, and so on. Countless other authors have elucidated the principles and historical development of hypermodern chess theory and I will say no more about the subject here.
As is customary for the ‘Play the ...’ series, the primary aim of the present book is to provide a complete repertoire that will enable the reader to employ the Queen’s Indian Defence with confidence. It is common knowledge that, along with its close relative the Nimzo-Indian, the Queen’s Indian enjoys a reputation as one of Black’s most dependable answers to 1 d4. His pieces can quickly emerge on to active squares, and his pawn structure is both unblemished and extremely flexible in the early stages of the game.
Despite its ongoing popularity amongst players of varying abilities, there are many who regard one of this opening’s foremost strengths – its extreme solidity – as something as a drawback. Simply put, there are several major lines in which it can prove difficult for Black to generate realistic winning chances. This may not represent a problem at the lofty heights of Wijk aan Zee or Linares, but there is no doubting the fact that most of us would prefer to combine solidity with genuine prospects to play for a full point with the black pieces. Therefore one of my primary goals in writing this book was to present a repertoire which would enable Black to unbalance the game in order to play for a win, without compromising on soundness.
Overall, I believe that I have succeeded in finding a suitable balance, although ultimately this is something that the reader will have to judge for himself. On that note, let me once again thank you for reading. I sincerely hope that you will enjoy this book, and that the ideas contained herewith will play a role in improving your understanding, enjoyment and – most importantly of all – your results when playing the Queen’s Indian.

Andrew Greet
Edinburgh,
February 2009

IP Logged

zoo
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/24/09 at 16:00:58
Post Tools
Perhaps Mr. Librarian is Tiviakov in disguise? not many players can consider that 2300 players are not strong, even fewer can afford to ridicule other people's books.

The clues are rather puzzling :
- the opening is heavy on theory, "only 256 pages" in the book ;
- it is dedicated to one system, probably with Black ;
- it has an underestimated critical line needing a repair at move 10 ;
- there is a "GM mainline" not covered in great detail ;
- it is mostly played with at least one player under 2300 (poor weak guy).

Since Moro/Barski's Chigorin book was already discarded, I suspect an Alekhine or Philidor book, perhaps Philidor Files by Ch. Bauer or Philidor Secret Weapon by Christian Seel ?

Rather than Odesski's 1.b3, his previous book "1...b6 the unplayable opening" could also fit the bill, or even Christian Bauer's own 1...b6 book ; it would be "heavy on theory" in the sense that White can play any setup against it.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #10 - 09/24/09 at 15:52:05
Post Tools
I suspect Greet's QID book, due to the language

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 09/24/09 at 15:42:57
Post Tools
Isn´t Andrew Greet known to begin his introductions with "Greetings, dear reader"...

My guess ist "Play the Queen´s Indian".

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 09/24/09 at 15:41:25
Post Tools
Has the clumsy verbosity of an eloquent non-native speaker. With a non-editor.

Or a poorly-educated native speaker trying to sound clever. But not managing it.

Presumably the former.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #7 - 09/24/09 at 15:19:44
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 09/24/09 at 14:10:22:
It seems to be a repertoire book for black ("...I believe that I have succeeded in carving out a rather creative route to safety."). Bold choices avoiding main line theory. Personal style. There is a "the" reference book on the opening/line.

Hmm. I've looked at http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/checkpoint.htm but can't really see any book that also got 5/5 that fits this description. I thought of Dembo's of the Grünfeld, Moro's on Chigorin, Rizzitano's on QGA. (I haven't read any of them.)

I tried this search on google with same idea, but didn't anyone with both 5/5 and 256 pp.

http://www.google.se/#hl=sv&safe=off&q=site%3Achesscafe.com+%2B%22256+pp%22+cars...

I guess "256 pages long and using a big font" could be a clue. Big fonts could indicate one of the most prolific writers, but their books are usually shorter than 256 pp...

The writing style sounds a bit like Marin if he has one with 256 pp and big font?

IP Logged

TicklyTim

can I take that back,
please...

Reply #6 - 09/24/09 at 14:27:15
Post Tools
Alias wrote on 09/24/09 at 14:10:22:
It seems to be a repertoire book for black ("...I believe that I have succeeded in carving out a rather creative route to safety.").

The "route to safety" might also appeal to Colle or London System players with White!!

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #5 - 09/24/09 at 14:10:22
Post Tools
It seems to be a repertoire book for black ("...I believe that I have succeeded in carving out a rather creative route to safety."). Bold choices avoiding main line theory. Personal style. There is a "the" reference book on the opening/line.

Hmm. I've looked at http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/checkpoint.htm but can't really see any book that also got 5/5 that fits this description. I thought of Dembo's of the Grünfeld, Moro's on Chigorin, Rizzitano's on QGA. (I haven't read any of them.)

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

TicklyTim

can I take that back,
please...

Reply #4 - 09/24/09 at 08:46:41
Post Tools
Book on the London System or Colle by any chance?
Other candidates: BDG, Kings Gambit, Budapest, 1..Nc6, 1.b4, Morra?

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #3 - 09/24/09 at 07:43:51
Post Tools
b3 by Odessky?

Or something by Tim Taylor?

Oh and should read:

"Fine-toothed comb."
No doubt the author's mistake not the librarians. Common mistake, but a crass one.
What's a toothcomb? I brush mine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo