Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Little Study Repertoire (Read 8088 times)
Reverse

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Little Study Repertoire
Reply #22 - 01/05/10 at 19:20:07
Post Tools
I bought the Fritz Trainter DVD by IM Martin on the Alekhine defense because of all this talk.  I have watched it and played the defense for about week on ICC and recant my previous statements. There is not much you really need to know - as far as long theoretical lines are concerned- other than the first ten moves and the ideas of the position.  Everyone I have played so far has refrained from playing the most theoretically testing variations and if they have gone into them then they deviated early giving black a fine game. The Highest rated guy i have played so far a 2589 played 2 e5 and 3 Nc3.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #21 - 12/29/09 at 01:25:50
Post Tools
Here's an alternative for Black against 1.d4: The Dutch.  The Leningrad is a good, dynamic system while the Stonewall is stolid.  Both are theoretically stable, with relatively few new ideas that will shock Black's world.

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 12/28/09 at 09:46:43
Post Tools
Solid with little study......

With black the petroff, Nimzo/QGD
With white 1nf3 and 2 g3 (Kings indian attack)

Interestingly the first part is Kramnik's repertoire !!

IP Logged

naughtyknight

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #19 - 12/27/09 at 21:58:30
Post Tools
I once played the CK as an agressive, but 'limited' theory opening:

Playing against the 'classical' you have:
1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 de 4.Nxe4 Nf6 5.Nxf6 gxf6

Against the Advance you have a gambit with:
1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5

While against things like the Pannov attack and the 'fantasy variation' you always have fighting chances.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 12/27/09 at 16:13:54
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 12/27/09 at 16:03:45:
I must admit that, in trying to think of similarities between the Alekhine and the Slav or QGD, I am coming up empty.

you're not alone...

even so: Slav and QGD are well-respected openings to which the white player will have to know an answer if he wants to play d4 c4. Alekhine is the opposite of that: borderline respectable (together with the modern/pirc and scandinavian) and probably not a regular customer for most white players.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #17 - 12/27/09 at 16:03:45
Post Tools
I must admit that, in trying to think of similarities between the Alekhine and the Slav or QGD, I am coming up empty.

IP Logged

Bowen

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 12/27/09 at 15:48:04
Post Tools
Step slightly outside of continually changing, outside mainline, memorize variations 20 moves deep, theory: the Alekhine and Classical Dutch as Black and Bird as White, your knowledge of both Dutch and Bird should serve each other admirably.

I will now duck, drop and cover while potshots fly over my head. Wink

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 12/27/09 at 15:01:26
Post Tools
why not?

In principle many positions resemble quite a bit to positions in these other systems ... alekhine with g6 resembles slav with g6, alekhine with bg4 also seems a d-pawn opening with lightsquared bishop out etc. ... it's just that white is more comfortable in the alekhine than in the normal d-pawn openings due to win in tempo ...

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 12/27/09 at 14:27:03
Post Tools
Quote:
In the alekhine white has the advantage,
it's only his fault if he overpresses ...
I mean come on, I compare the positions in the alekhine to a d4 opening, and the position is just so much more in favour than any slav or qgd, white should just be happy to play against the alekhine

qué?

are you comparing the Alekhine with these defences?  Shocked

honestly, beyond words...

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #13 - 12/27/09 at 11:31:44
Post Tools
Is it really a question about the opening as such?

I would suggest an opening:

1 - You feel comfortable in the positions in the opening and recognize and can handle the different themes.
2 - It shouldn't be too popular on higher levels (and your own level?) because then a lot of new stuff will emerge all the time.

I believe those two criteria are the most important to be able to  maintaine an opening at low cost - time and money (no books to buy).

One criteria that is very subjective and only yourselve can answer it and the other rather objective and which you can get adviced about.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/27/09 at 10:39:03
Post Tools
In the alekhine white has the advantage,
it's only his fault if he overpresses ...
I mean come on, I compare the positions in the alekhine to a d4 opening, and the position is just so much more in favour than any slav or qgd, white should just be happy to play against the alekhine

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 12/26/09 at 21:20:32
Post Tools
Alekhine is a defence that in theoretical sense is a lot more difficult then in pratical sense. I played it quite succesfull a few years ago with minimal opening knowledge. Just keep chipping at that centre, if you can break it down you're on top, if not you're in trouble. In that sense it is an "easy" opening.

As white has no "simplify and save" variation a good fighting spirit also helps.

IP Logged

Reverse

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 12/26/09 at 21:17:41
Post Tools
Well, I would like to play the modern benoni as black, but it seems like that will take quite some time to learn. Plus all the lines i would have to learn if white deviates:

London
colle
Zukertort-colle
Torre
trompowsky
Veresov

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #9 - 12/26/09 at 20:41:19
Post Tools
Reverse, any opening you choose will require some initial study.  Perhaps you should reconsider the option of learning the Alekhine since it comes so highly recommended. 

If you spent an intensive week now learning it, perhaps you will agree with Alias? 

Alternately, you could tell us what openings you want to study and we can all cheer. Tongue

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 12/26/09 at 20:26:39
Post Tools
Let's see if I have this straight:  the OP is about a 2100 player who generally prepares the openings he plays by looking through a book (not by looking at the stuff on a board), and who last week wanted to learn all the ins and outs of the Najdorf, but this week is interested in the Philidor/Reversed Philidor and such.

Okay then.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo