Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Ginger GM and the Classical Dutch DVD (Read 74994 times)
linksspringer

Re: The Ginger GM and the Classical Dutch DVD
Reply #20 - 01/27/10 at 16:23:40
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 01/27/10 at 14:04:57:
This post should not have been made, because it's commercial.  Also it advertises a commercial website, which is contrary to our policy.  I salute your achievements in chess, and it would be great if you would come here to talk about the Dutch, but not about your website and DVD.  In the mean time I'll do my best to get this thread deleted.

Either that or get Tony to authorize your advertisement here.

He didn't actually start the topic, it just happens to be the first post on page 2. Please don't delete the whole thread, as there is useful information on page 1.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #19 - 01/27/10 at 14:04:57
Post Tools
Psycho-Cowboy wrote on 01/23/10 at 12:15:09:
Hi Everyone. I have had a couple of enquires when my DVD, 'Killer Dutch' will be available for purchase. Well the final copy will be delieved to me on Wednesday. You will be able to purchase a copy via my webiste www.gingergm.com on Wednesday.
I will be taking PayPal payments for it. It's retail price will be £19.95 or Euro's 24.95, plus P+P.
You can also send a cheque. The DVD is roughyl 6.5 hours long and covers the Classical variation and all of White's early deviations. I have included some interesting new ideas like 1 d4 f5 2 h3!? (yep I do believe in this variation!)
The DVD will fully equip you with a fully updated way of playing the Classical Dutch and ways of dealing with any early anouying moves! It is similar to my book but I have found some big improvements/mistakes in my book which I have corrected. Obviously my book is a bit old now, so it needs an update!
For example there is some extra material, like 1 d4 f5 2 Nf3 Nf6 3 g3 e6 4 Bg2 Be7 5 0-0 0-0 6 c4 d6 7 Nc3 Nc6!? I have dedicated roughly 45 minutes to this new idea. I orginallt thought it was dubious but it can be used as a very dangerous surprise weapon.
I hope you enjoy the product, it has been produced to a very high standard.
Any questions then please e-mail me at simon@gingergm.com. It is the 1st DVD we have produced so hopefully if it is a success there will be plenty more, any ideas what the next one should be one?
Cheers,
Simon Williams  Smiley

p.s. the orginal run of 100 DVD's was done rather quickly and there where some small mistakes which I wanted to correct before bringing out the final copy. If you purchased this DVD I will replace it with a new one. Just e-mail me!

This post should not have been made, because it's commercial.  Also it advertises a commercial website, which is contrary to our policy.  I salute your achievements in chess, and it would be great if you would come here to talk about the Dutch, but not about your website and DVD.  In the mean time I'll do my best to get this thread deleted.

Either that or get Tony to authorize your advertisement here.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #18 - 01/27/10 at 13:22:03
Post Tools
He does give quite a bit on 7...Ne4 8.Nxe4 and considers it a critical line. I think he now has a different reply to to 9.Nd2 d5 10.f3 compared to his 2003 book.

I don't want to simply post all his lines, but if you give me a link to the relevant forum discussion I'd be happy to compare them.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #17 - 01/27/10 at 10:18:27
Post Tools
Does he offer something good against 7...Ne4 8.Nxe4! as we had some nice discussions about this in this foroum. Some improvement over 8...fxe4 9.Nd2 d5 10.f3?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #16 - 01/23/10 at 13:32:16
Post Tools
Psycho-Cowboy wrote on 01/23/10 at 12:15:09:
p.s. the orginal run of 100 DVD's was done rather quickly and there where some small mistakes which I wanted to correct before bringing out the final copy. If you purchased this DVD I will replace it with a new one. Just e-mail me!

Thanks for the offer Simon.

Ooh, does that mean the signed one I got in Hastings is now a collectors item  Cool

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Psycho-Cowboy
YaBB Newbies

www.gingergm.com

Reply #15 - 01/23/10 at 12:15:09
Post Tools
Hi Everyone. I have had a couple of enquires when my DVD, 'Killer Dutch' will be available for purchase. Well the final copy will be delieved to me on Wednesday. You will be able to purchase a copy via my webiste www.gingergm.com on Wednesday.
I will be taking PayPal payments for it. It's retail price will be £19.95 or Euro's 24.95, plus P+P.
You can also send a cheque. The DVD is roughyl 6.5 hours long and covers the Classical variation and all of White's early deviations. I have included some interesting new ideas like 1 d4 f5 2 h3!? (yep I do believe in this variation!)
The DVD will fully equip you with a fully updated way of playing the Classical Dutch and ways of dealing with any early anouying moves! It is similar to my book but I have found some big improvements/mistakes in my book which I have corrected. Obviously my book is a bit old now, so it needs an update!
For example there is some extra material, like 1 d4 f5 2 Nf3 Nf6 3 g3 e6 4 Bg2 Be7 5 0-0 0-0 6 c4 d6 7 Nc3 Nc6!? I have dedicated roughly 45 minutes to this new idea. I orginallt thought it was dubious but it can be used as a very dangerous surprise weapon.
I hope you enjoy the product, it has been produced to a very high standard.
Any questions then please e-mail me at simon@gingergm.com. It is the 1st DVD we have produced so hopefully if it is a success there will be plenty more, any ideas what the next one should be one?
Cheers,
Simon Williams  Smiley

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #14 - 01/23/10 at 03:21:10
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 01/22/10 at 16:56:18:
Stigma wrote on 01/22/10 at 00:27:29:
Actually I have it already ...  It presents a repertoire built around "Ye old faithful"; the 7...a5 main line in the Classical ....

That's true but the DVD also covers 7. ... Ne4, 7. ... Qe8 and even 7 ... Nc6

Quite right. Just shows I should have gone through the whole DVD before I tried to review it!

In my defence he does seem to have more faith in 7...a5 than the others. I also played this line myself for a few years after Williams' Classical Dutch book came out, so I naturally looked at that part first. From the white side I'm more worried about 7...Qe8, but probably I just need to study it more deeply.

To make amends for my mistake I skipped through the video and made an overview of the chapters and approximate durations:

Introduction and basic strategic ideas 38 mins.

7...a5 55 mins.

7...Qe8 50 mins.

7...Ne4 46 mins.

7...Nc6?! 39 mins.

2. g3 early deviations (7. b4, Nh3 systems, Nd2 systems, 7. b3 etc.) 30 mins.

2. c4 early deviations (e3 systems, Bg5 systems) 55 mins.

Gambits (2. g4, 2. e4, 2. h3) 37 mins.

2. Bg5, 2. Nc3 38 mins.

2. Nf3 e6 3. d5 5 mins.

Conclusion 3 mins.

There are brief strategic overviews at the end of every chapter.
« Last Edit: 01/23/10 at 04:33:30 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 01/22/10 at 23:31:03
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/22/10 at 22:10:09:
I must be doing it wrong. Adding this DVD to my cart simply brings up a blank second page. Wop Wahhhh!

That might be the website playing up/not quite ready.  Try emailing Simon and see how he responds.  I know for a fact he's got a box full of DVDs in cases ready to be sold ... I saw them at Hastings at his Dutch themed tournament!

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #12 - 01/22/10 at 22:10:09
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 01/22/10 at 18:59:45:
TonyRo wrote on 01/22/10 at 18:56:56:
When / Where can we get this DVD? Is there anywhere to get it now, or do we just have to preorder off the website?

It's available from the website.  It's an independent production not a Chessbase DVD. I've no idea if it will end up in chess shops.  I'm not sure 'pre-order' is the right term though.  It's out ... for sale ... you can buy it ...

I must be doing it wrong. Adding this DVD to my cart simply brings up a blank second page. Wop Wahhhh!

IP Logged

PatzerNoster

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 01/22/10 at 19:49:13
Post Tools
That sounds like it's a thorough, up-to date introduction to the opening.
Honestly, what more can you expect from a DVD?

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 01/22/10 at 19:11:03
Post Tools
PatzerNoster wrote on 01/22/10 at 18:41:00:
Does he cover the white main moves in detail or just superficially?

Depends what you mean by superficial.  If you're 2400 then your definition is going to be very different to mine.  Also depends perhaps on the variation you're talking about - 4 choices for Black at move 7 after all.

As far as I'm aware there are no main suggestsions for White overlooked completely but then as I mentioned before it's a DVD so you're not going to get a reference work.  There's plenty of analysis in the book that doesn't make it on to the DVD because - obviously - even at 7-8 hours nobody can speak fast enough to be able to do that.

On the upside there are important improvements from games Williams and others have played since his book was published in 2003 (e.g. Ward-Williams in the 7. ... Ne4 line).

I'm not sure what else I can say to you.  I'm not a 2400 so I can't view the DVD through a 2400's eyes.

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 01/22/10 at 18:59:45
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 01/22/10 at 18:56:56:
When / Where can we get this DVD? Is there anywhere to get it now, or do we just have to preorder off the website?

It's available from the website.  It's an independent production not a Chessbase DVD. I've no idea if it will end up in chess shops.  I'm not sure 'pre-order' is the right term though.  It's out ... for sale ... you can buy it ...

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #8 - 01/22/10 at 18:56:56
Post Tools

IP Logged

PatzerNoster

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 01/22/10 at 18:41:00
Post Tools
Does he cover the white main moves in detail or just superficially? If he gives some variations against all of white's main replies that's fine.

From that point on you have to start to play by yourself. I guess the Classical Dutch should be relatively "theory-lite" as it is unpopular and the two armies get into contact only in the middlegame, so there are not too many forcing variations. I hope some ideas and guidelines should be enough to play it reasonably succesfully, that's why I consider it a suitable surprise weapon.

In general, I would say "theory-lite" means that you can play an opening without knowing more than 15 moves of theory (effectively it's much less as the main tabiya in the Classical Dutch is on move 7/8) in most main variations. There are many openings nowadays where theory just STARTS after 20 moves!  Shocked

Or am I wrong?

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 01/22/10 at 18:05:28
Post Tools
PatzerNoster wrote on 01/22/10 at 17:21:34:
Do you think this DVD could help me (my level is between 2350 and 2400)?

Well you're 300-400 points or more higher rated than me and the people I tend to play so I wouldn't presume to tell you what would be able to help you.  That said. my best bet is that this DVD would be a good introduction from which you'll be able to tell whether you want to investigate further [which I imagine at that level you'll want and need to.  Happily for the likes of me the DVD will be enough].

Is there anybody else of Williams' level who's played the Classical Dutch as long or as frequently as he has?  Certainly not in Britain.  If you want to know about the Classical Dutch I think it's quite a good plan to find out what he's got to say about it.  I'd also agree with the comment earlier saying that Williams presents the material well.

PS: Are there really any 'theory-lite' variations left?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo