Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Beginning to play the Ruy Lopez (Read 3068 times)
ChessMonkey

You may ask yourself,
well, how did I get here?

Re: Beginning to play the Ruy Lopez
Reply #2 - 06/22/10 at 13:21:33
Post Tools
You could try to find a copy of Daniel King and Pietro Ponzetto's "Mastering the Spanish With the Read and Play Method" which is an old book, but concentrates on the various pawn structures that arise out of the myriad of variations you'll encounter in the Ruy.  There is plenty of text with clear explanations of general concepts and strategy.  I picked up a used copy for about $25 (USD).

P.S. What's up with the "Sponge Bob" handle?
« Last Edit: 06/22/10 at 14:42:05 by ChessMonkey »  

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Re: Beginning to play the Ruy Lopez
Reply #1 - 04/22/10 at 12:28:42
Post Tools
You quit the Ponziani right when Hayward's book comes out!? Shame on you!

If you have Khalifman's books (1 and 2) and you're 2200+, that should be mostly what you need, but if you wanted to get started on studying the variations, you could pick up a cheap copy of Emms' Easy Guide to the Ruy Lopez, which will be a good intro for you. You could also invest in 1 or 2 of Shirov's My Best Games in the Spanish DVDs for a quick overview and comments from one of the best Ruy Lopez players around in this decade.

Hope this helps!

IP Logged

Spongebobiscool
YaBB Newbies

Beginning to play the Ruy Lopez
04/22/10 at 12:09:56
Post Tools
Dear chess friends,

I have played the Ponziani (e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 c3?!) for a long time now and I think it's time to face that this is just a stupid opening Angry

I want to play the Ruy Lopez now and I do have Khalifman his books on this opening, but as you can see they give much theory with little explanation.

Could anybody recommend me a good book to get started with the Ruy Lopez? I'm a 2200+ player, I don't know if this is important to know.

Thanks in advance for your help and excuse me for my (sometimes) bad English Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo