Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Botvinnik for Free (Read 2960 times)
ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Re: Botvinnik for Free
Reply #4 - 02/06/11 at 20:05:44
Post Tools
Thank you, I found the player information with your help. I too am unable to find the result. Not all the games are wins, though, because they include all Botvinnik's games from certain tournaments and the matches. It is sometimes possible to tell from the crosstables, but not all the crosstables are supplied. But on the bright side, it's interesting reading a game without knowing the result--a bit more like watching it live (or playing).

Anyway, I shouldn't complain because you're right, it's a great deal for free.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #3 - 02/06/11 at 17:56:20
Post Tools
I found the names of the players allright (though clearly they should have been at the start, in some sort of header) but where on earth is the game result? Mostly I can deduce it by looking at the final position and the '!' and '?' symbols awarded, but the result should still be essential information. Assuming of course that not all the games are Botvinnik wins.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

FischerTal

I Love Chess Books

Reply #2 - 02/06/11 at 15:36:16
Post Tools
The names of the players are there but they are at the end of the games. You have to scroll to the end to see the header information. It is still a pretty amazing course to get for free and all Botvinnik's games annotated by Khalifman et al.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #1 - 02/06/11 at 08:52:44
Post Tools
OK, I got that and, since I already had Peshka for another course, it updated Peshka and downloaded the Botvinnik work.

Only one problem: The games are not identified, except by year and sometimes tournament, and there is no header information whatsoever aside from the occasional summary crosstable, i.e. without further research and background knowledge it's impossible to tell in a given game whether Botvinnik was White or Black, who his opponent was, or even who won (though presumably his victories were included in the collection).  It's as if a database dump were done from a course written for a different interface (ChessAssistant 9, perhaps) and only the moves were included, since Peshka cannot display the headers and those were not imported into the games as comments. So each game is X vs. X (let's play "guess which color Botvinnik had and who the other guy was"), result X-X (let's play "guess who won").   

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Botvinnik for Free
02/05/11 at 23:44:56
Post Tools
In honor of what would be Botvinnik's 100th birthday, ChessAssistant has released a free training course based on Botvinnik's games.  Free download here:

http://www.chessok.com/?p=24620

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo