Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C00-C19: The Sharpest French (Read 6214 times)
MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The Sharpest French
Reply #9 - 03/13/11 at 18:22:39
Post Tools
Good work ripping the center to bits there Smiley And yes the Lopez is pretty closed too. Shrug.

I guess it might help if the original questioner could be clear on what precisely they normally like/especially dislike about the advance?!

Last time I was looking at 5 .. Qb6 6 a3 Nh6 for black I was trying to make earlyish o-o's intending f6 (even after g5 Wink) work.... Very slightly insane perhaps.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #8 - 03/13/11 at 16:35:19
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 03/13/11 at 14:52:25:
Surely semi open at best?

Marconi,R - MNb [C02]
em CL/2010/C2, 2010

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 Nh6 6.Bd3 f6 7.exf6 gxf6 8.0-0 Nf7 9.Re1 Be7 10.Bc2 Qb6 11.Re2 Bd7 12.dxc5 Bxc5
Do you call this semi open? See for the rest of the game

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1296745190/15#15

After 5...Qb6 6.a3 I also play Nh6. Sure White, if he/she wants to by all means, can keep the position more closed, but that's the case after 1.e4 e5 as well.
Just to compare:

MNb - Bennewitz,B [C54]
em WS/H/058, 2006

1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Bc5 3.Nf3 Nc6 4.c3 Nf6 5.d3 a6 6.Bb3 d6 7.Nbd2 h6 8.Nc4 Be6 9.0-0 Ba7 10.Ne3 0-0 11.h3 Qd7

The names Open Games, Halfopen Games etc. are convenient and I use them myself. But they hardly say anything anymore about the type of play you can expect.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 03/13/11 at 14:52:25
Post Tools
Surely semi open at best? In the advance white gets to keep at least d4 or e5 and quite often both.

Sharp and fun sure! The Qb6 stuff with Bxh6 etc is very good fun and so is 6 a3 in terms of piece play but the center does end up fully closed then.

Guess it depends precisely what he meant Smiley

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 03/13/11 at 14:32:23
Post Tools
I wonder how the advance can be your least favorite line if you play the French since this structure is the heart of the whole opening.

Apart from the lines with ... Nh6 as mentioned by MNb also 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 c5 4.c3 Nc6 5.Nf3 Bd7 followed by ... f6 is quite active and has been my preference when I played the French.
« Last Edit: 03/13/11 at 16:08:16 by Fllg »  

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #5 - 03/13/11 at 10:52:19
Post Tools
I have never understood why the Advance should be a problem. The lines with ...Nh6 (with or without ...Qb6) are the sharpest.
At the moment I have 2½/3 against the Advance.
Anyhow, Kristi should buy the two Moskalenko books. Everybody also recommend Uhlmann, but I found it less useful for my purposes.

MartinC wrote on 03/13/11 at 09:28:57:
If you're after 'open, sharp, fast' play you're very much in the wrong opening!

I disagree. I happen to get 'open, sharp and fast' play rather often with the French. Of course it's my choice as I usually strive for it.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/11 at 10:48:10
Post Tools
I agree with MartinC and Mnb...
French defence is part of sound openings.
If you believe you can find one "magical powerful weapon" as Black in the Advance to win quickly, maybe you have to learn that such a Graal doesn't exist,..,or course for your games with White players at chess club level.
Advance French is part of "closed openings" which means that  position will be closed (pawn structure fixed) for many moves in the opening. As center is closed, some traps you can find in other openings will not be seen. More interesting for you is not to search for the Graal, but more for playing "active games" or "dangerous openings" (you can have explanation about this in Dangerous Weapon - The French book...but it is also common among top level way of play). I play the Euwe variation in the Advance (but I started learning classical way of the Advance long time ago) and advice it..because you can play an early f6, and this modern undermining of pawn center can give you free and fun play, your real goal (and not a "sharp opening').

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 03/13/11 at 09:28:57
Post Tools
Hummm. If you're after 'open, sharp, fast' play you're very much in the wrong opening!

The French gets quite sharp enough of course, but its nearly always at least semi closed and rarely fast. Indeed it can be terrifyingly 'slow' Smiley

The advance doesn't really allow it, the positional lines (7 Nf3/a4 etc) vs the Winawer won't etc. 

Oh, besides the PPawn, the McCutcheon/7 .. o-o Winawer/ 5.. Ba5 Winawer all very sharp in their own ways too. Have to like defending for 7..o-o of course.

IP Logged

Kristi
YaBB Newbies

Jeg har mistet mine vrangforestillinger

Reply #2 - 03/13/11 at 08:44:55
Post Tools
How about the Advance?  That is my least favorite line, but I'm sure there must be a way for Black to make it open, sharp, and fast.

På denne måten, i intervaller både målbare og ikke, er vår barndom stjålet fra oss, ikke alltid i en betydningsfull hendelse, men ofte i en serie av små ran, som legger opp til samme tap.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 03/13/11 at 04:11:51
Post Tools
The Winawer Poisoned Pawn. Moskalenko's the Wonderful Winawer has a chapter on it.
Against 3.Nd2 definitely 3...Nf6. If White plays 6.Bd3 and 7.Ne2 then ...f6 and ...Qc7. Black's game goes wonderful if he/she can sac the exchange on f3. If White plays 6.f4 then ...f6 heading for a piece sac on e5. Moskalenko's the Flexible French has a chapter on these two.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Kristi
YaBB Newbies

Jeg har mistet mine vrangforestillinger

C00-C19: The Sharpest French
03/13/11 at 00:40:15
Post Tools
What are the sharpest lines for Black in the French, leading to the most tactical, complex positions?  And how can I learn these/what resources are there on them?

Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: 07/21/11 at 19:08:00 by dom »  

På denne måten, i intervaller både målbare og ikke, er vår barndom stjålet fra oss, ikke alltid i en betydningsfull hendelse, men ofte i en serie av små ran, som legger opp til samme tap.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo