Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Veresov and A Ferocious Opening Repertoire (Read 19522 times)
Holbox

Saigón Café

Re: Veresov and A Ferocious Opening Repertoire
Reply #10 - 04/01/11 at 11:59:14
Post Tools
Answering Tony's question: Yes, the book makes reference to both, Chesspublishing and GM Éric Prié at some places.

"Ladran, luego cabalgamos", NN

IP Logged

Macca
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 03/31/11 at 21:59:44
Post Tools
In reply to TopNotch, it's the c3 Knight that goes to f4 (via e2), leaving the c pawn free to advance. It's hardly critical anyway - in over 500 or so games (including blitz) with the Veresov only 2 of my opponents ever played this line.

As for the Veresov being unsuitable for "strong" (at what level do you consider a chess player "strong"?) players, well, plenty of GMs have played it.

But I'm not going to get sucked in to the trap of defending the Veresov on here - if you'd rather play the White side of the Berlin Wall or the Sveshnikov or the Queen's/King's Indian or whatever else mainstream opening that's been analysed to move 30 or beyond, it's your choice!

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 03/31/11 at 05:55:07
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 03/30/11 at 22:58:31:
Macca wrote on 03/30/11 at 21:38:58:
Haven't seen the book yet. Not seen any recent games either, so apologies if what follows has somehow been refuted!
However, I seem to remember that, after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Bg5 h6 4.Bxf6 exf6 5.e3 c6 6.Bd3 f5, White should play 7.h4. This provokes 7...h5 (otherwise White plays 8.h5 to attack g6) and White's knights go to f3 and f4.
Not claiming an advantage but White is OK.

So the Knight gets to f4, then what, where are the effective pawn breaks. The Knight on c3 blocks the C pawn while attempts to force through e4 or g4 breaks look likely to backfire.

Meanwhile Black goes c6 and b5 and maybe Kf8 and Kg7 if need be. This line is reminiscent of the Trompovsky one that goes 1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 d5 3.Bxf6 exf6, here White can get in  c4 but even than Black has a good position.

I have the PDF of Lakdawala's book, but have barely skimmed it so far. My opinion is the Veresov could be very successful at club level where often all you need to win is a seemingly aggressive looking setup, be warned though, the higher up you go the more the inherent flaws of offbeat openings get ruthlessly exploited.

The English Opening is a very sophisticated opening best suited to experienced and strong positional players, at club level it is most often seen in its simplistic form where you fianchetto the kings bishop and raz the bpawn up the Board regardless of what black does.

Perhaps the Verysoft opening could be useful as secondary repertoire choice, but just remember there is usually a very good reason or reasons why strong players don't regularly employ such openings.

Tops Smiley

It is interesting that Prié himself plays the London but doesn't think highly of the Veresov.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #7 - 03/30/11 at 22:58:31
Post Tools
Macca wrote on 03/30/11 at 21:38:58:
Haven't seen the book yet. Not seen any recent games either, so apologies if what follows has somehow been refuted!
However, I seem to remember that, after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.Bg5 h6 4.Bxf6 exf6 5.e3 c6 6.Bd3 f5, White should play 7.h4. This provokes 7...h5 (otherwise White plays 8.h5 to attack g6) and White's knights go to f3 and f4.

So the Knight gets to f4, then what, where are the effective pawn breaks. The Knight on c3 blocks the C pawn while attempts to force through e4 or g4 breaks look likely to backfire.

Meanwhile Black goes c6 and b5 and maybe Kf8 and Kg7 if need be. This line is reminiscent of the Trompovsky one that goes 1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 d5 3.Bxf6 exf6, here White can get in  c4 but even than Black has a good position.

I have the PDF of Lakdawala's book, but have barely skimmed it so far. My opinion is the Veresov could be very successful at club level where often all you need to win is a seemingly aggressive looking setup, be warned though, the higher up you go the more the inherent flaws of offbeat openings get ruthlessly exploited.

The English Opening is a very sophisticated opening best suited to experienced and strong positional players, at club level it is most often seen in its simplistic form where you fianchetto the kings bishop and raz the bpawn up the Board regardless of what black does.

Perhaps the Verysoft opening could be useful as secondary repertoire choice, but just remember there is usually a very good reason or reasons why strong players don't regularly employ such openings.

Tops Smiley

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Macca
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 03/30/11 at 21:38:58
Post Tools

IP Logged

pioleiva
YaBB Newbies

Those who dont move dont
feel their freedom...

Reply #5 - 03/17/11 at 13:33:50
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 03/16/11 at 12:48:48:
flaviddude wrote on 03/16/11 at 08:16:21:
I have tried the recommendations of this book in two tournaments over the past week without knowing much of the theory. I really like the positions that arise from lines given.

Do the recommendations improve on the lines given by Eric Prié in the ChessPub Guides?

I think so, as Lakdawala cites chesspublishing among his sources.
But I am not sure, as I am not a subscriber. Wink

In general I also like Lakdawala's book, but I noticed a major flaw in his coverage of 1.d4 d5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Bg5 h6 (?! Lakdawala) 4Bxf6 exf6 5.e3
Lakdawala claims the resulting positions to be better for white, which is completely wrong. He  fails to mention the critical black setup with 5...c6! 6.Bd3 f5! and according to Davies and practice it may well be that black is already better, as he has the superior pawn structure and white lacks any pawn-levers. White results are very bad in this line.

After playing the Veresov for some years, I now prefer 4.Bh4 , as Black doesn't seem to be able to take advantage of the inclusion of h6 and Bh4.
For example:
4...Bf5 5.Bxf6! exf6 6.e3 followed by Bd3 and it is white who benefits from h6, as Bg6 is impossible, and the common white plan of g4 and h4 is much stronger with an additional weakness on black's kingside.
4....Nbd7 and white can transpose to his favourite setup against 3....Nbd7, may it be Nf3, Qd3, e3 or even the dubious f3.
4...c6 and again white can play as against 3....c6
4...g6!? is probably better here than after the third move, as Bh6 ideas are ruled out, but nonetheless, after f3 followed by e4 white enjoys a pleasant game.
4...e6!? is tricky and maybe the only serious try to take advantage of Bh4, as e4 can be met by g5. This is far from clear, however, and leads to messy positions the Veresov player is striving for in general. And white can also play my preferred 5.e3 playing in reversed Chigorin style.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #4 - 03/16/11 at 12:48:48
Post Tools
flaviddude wrote on 03/16/11 at 08:16:21:
I have tried the recommendations of this book in two tournaments over the past week without knowing much of the theory. I really like the positions that arise from lines given.

Do the recommendations improve on the lines given by Eric Prié in the ChessPub Guides?

IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 03/16/11 at 08:16:21
Post Tools

The book really suits my style. I have this nickname in Australia of being "The pit bull terrier" which i rather like.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 03/15/11 at 07:11:10
Post Tools
thanks for your reply. I prefer tactics, as I find them very beautiful and win most of my games that way...
thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #1 - 03/15/11 at 06:27:38
Post Tools
Zatara wrote on 03/15/11 at 04:09:45:
Hi all,
I have the book so I am not asking whats in it or for a review.  What I do ask is which is more likely to produce an edge for WHite: the Veresov or the English as in Marin's book? I will also Through in Summerscales 1.d4 book (A Killer chess opening repertoire). ALso which will help increase my knoledge of the game.   I play 1.e4, just looking for something else as well.
Thanks,
Zatara

I'm certainly not an expert in either opening, but I think "more likely to produce an edge" could be interpreted in a couple of different ways. I looked at the sample from Lakdawala's book, and I have to say, it looks pretty good. But that kind of game depends on what kind of player you are. I would think you'd have to be enterprising and tactical to make the Veresov work, otherwise blocking your C-Pawn is just bad.

The games I looked at in the sample were based on hidden tactical/attacking chances for White. It seems to me that if you have to play this way to play the opening properly, than the stylistic question is paramount as a practical matter.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Veresov and A Ferocious Opening Repertoire
03/15/11 at 04:09:45
Post Tools
Hi all,
I have the book so I am not asking whats in it or for a review.  What I do ask is which is more likely to produce an edge for WHite: the Veresov or the English as in Marin's book? I will also Through in Summerscales 1.d4 book (A Killer chess opening repertoire). ALso which will help increase my knoledge of the game.   I play 1.e4, just looking for something else as well.
Thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo