Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How to Update my database? Ideas? (Read 19837 times)
Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Re: How to Update my database? Ideas?
Reply #37 - 10/16/11 at 14:43:46
Post Tools
Quote:
Key games are analyzed and afterwards saved in this small base.

I hope you don't mind me probing a little further Stefan. What would be the general criteria for your key game selection?

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #36 - 10/14/11 at 13:55:41
Post Tools
Sylvester wrote on 10/14/11 at 00:52:38:
Quote:
The result is a small database, where the real work begins.

Could you elaborate on this statement Stefan?

For my article on 1.e4 c5 2.c3 Qa5, the "work" database contained ~500 games. In other cases far less. This smaller base becomes the new "Referenzdatenbank" (reference database?) so that searches for a position with this Qa5 topic only take a second. Key games are analyzed and afterwards saved in this small base. Or I throw all games into one "main" game. I am used to analyze not in CB8, but in the Fritz GUI, using Rybka4 as engine (or others). A work base is prepared in a few minutes, the analysis can take weeks or months.

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 10/14/11 at 05:32:51
Post Tools
Thank you both Stefan and Paddy.

IP Logged

Sylvester

Chess is the ultimate
game!

Reply #34 - 10/14/11 at 00:52:38
Post Tools
Quote:
The result is a small database, where the real work begins.

Could you elaborate on this statement Stefan?

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #33 - 10/13/11 at 23:33:57
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 10/13/11 at 23:31:41:
trw wrote on 10/13/11 at 16:58:53:
Paddy wrote on 10/12/11 at 11:17:05:
It is also perhaps worth pointing out (several of my students needed to be shown) that in Chessbase it is possible, easy and quite fast to search across more than one database in a single operation.

How does one access multiple databases in a single shot? This workaround could get around the need for a large database...

In ChessBase 8.0: STRG + left-click to "collect" databases, then STRG + F (or right-click) to open the search window for the desired search over all your 50+ million games in one go. Take a coffee pause then...  Smiley

On my PC running CB9 it's:

highlight (Ctrl + left click) all the icons of the databases you wish to search, then right click to call up the search mask.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #32 - 10/13/11 at 23:31:41
Post Tools
It is also perhaps worth pointing out (several of my students needed to be shown) that in Chessbase it is possible, easy and quite fast to search across more than one database in a single operation.

How does one access multiple databases in a single shot? This workaround could get around the need for a large database...

In ChessBase 8.0: Ctrl + left-click to "collect" databases, then Ctrl + F (or right-click) to open the search window for the desired search over all your 50+ million games in one go. Take a coffee pause then...  Smiley
It's simple and I was never tempted to mix the 3.8 million games of MegaBase 2008 with other databases. Better to keep databases separated: those bought on CD / others which need a regular backup.
« Last Edit: 10/14/11 at 00:46:42 by Stefan Buecker »  

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #31 - 10/13/11 at 22:33:35
Post Tools
trw wrote on 10/13/11 at 22:22:43:
Such hostility indicates you don't have a proper answer to provide.

First of all, there are no other avenues to ask this type of question.

2nd, I am not the one who started this thread.

3rd, before you go off the deepend on pointless character attacks... realize that A) I have devoted thousands of hours to my databases. I have to maintain numerous small ones because of chessbase's inability to handle one large one. B) Again my problem is no where near unique. Why should the amount of time I have or have not spent should dictate whether or not someone is willing to help.

4th, you professed that there was a simple way to maintain large database but now you refuse to provide an answer. So is there or isn't there a way to do it?

Finally, if you have no interest in helping its probably better to just not respond at all.

That's not hostility; it's expressing my view that you're asking to be spoon fed.  I didn't respond to the O.P., I respoded to you. I had, and have, absolutely nothing to say about your character.  As a monitor, I have a valid concern for the use of this forum.

But fine, why don't we just let your question stand and see if anyone cares to spell out how to use Software X to build a data base, as if the answer to this isn't available on forums much better suited to that purpose?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 10/13/11 at 22:22:43
Post Tools
Such hostility indicates you don't have a proper answer to provide.

First of all, there are no other avenues to ask this type of question.

2nd, I am not the one who started this thread.

3rd, before you go off the deepend on pointless character attacks... realize that A) I have devoted thousands of hours to my databases. I have to maintain numerous small ones because of chessbase's inability to handle one large one. B) Again my problem is no where near unique. Why should the amount of time I have or have not spent should dictate whether or not someone is willing to help.

4th, you professed that there was a simple way to maintain large database but now you refuse to provide an answer. So is there or isn't there a way to do it?

Finally, if you have no interest in helping its probably better to just not respond at all.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #29 - 10/13/11 at 21:35:55
Post Tools
a couple of issues... none of you are actually describing to me how you made your database. What feature within SCID and Chessbase did you utilize?

It needs to be said chessbase has a hard max games it can access in one file (I believe the number is 20million but don't quote me on that). It slows down immensely if its trying to access anything over 10million (and in many cases just out right crashes) even with SSD. Chessbase also does not handle pgn very well -- which is honestly downright pathetic.

I don't believe my problem is anywhere unique (btw i'm using chessbase 11 though I have 10, 9, and 8). The numerous GMs I have talked to can't make chessbase work either properly for database functionality so they just end up purchasing databases (as some have said opening master) but in many cases they just purchase Megabase. This route only serves to highlight the errors within the current software options if this route is the *only* solution.

I should add I know someone that has an incredible database but they spend nearly 4 hours *every day* creating and maintaining that database. This kind of time commitment is also unrealistic.

So my question is still left unanswered.... how do you make a large usable database?

I apologize my response is quite slow... been very busy.

You really shouldn't come here asking to be spoon fed.  Get your hands dirty, and if you have any problems, go to a board specifically devoted to the software you're using.  This is a place for seeking general advice, not for being hand-held through the nitty gritty.  You've had plenty of general advice already; time to act, not to keep asking questions here.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 10/13/11 at 16:58:53
Post Tools
a couple of issues... none of you are actually describing to me how you made your database. What feature within SCID and Chessbase did you utilize?

It needs to be said chessbase has a hard max games it can access in one file (I believe the number is 20million but don't quote me on that). It slows down immensely if its trying to access anything over 10million (and in many cases just out right crashes) even with SSD. Chessbase also does not handle pgn very well -- which is honestly downright pathetic.

I don't believe my problem is anywhere unique (btw i'm using chessbase 11 though I have 10, 9, and 8). The numerous GMs I have talked to can't make chessbase work either properly for database functionality so they just end up purchasing databases (as some have said opening master) but in many cases they just purchase Megabase. This route only serves to highlight the errors within the current software options if this route is the *only* solution.

I should add I know someone that has an incredible database but they spend nearly 4 hours *every day* creating and maintaining that database. This kind of time commitment is also unrealistic.

So my question is still left unanswered.... how do you make a large usable database?

I apologize my response is quite slow... been very busy.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #27 - 10/13/11 at 15:01:45
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 10/12/11 at 17:34:18:
Jupp53 wrote on 10/12/11 at 13:19:41:
For test reasons now I have started to import UltraCorr3a at 9:10 h local time in my "All"base now it's 15:10 h at this minute and game 570.000 has just been imported. After completion of the import the installation of the different keys and the search acceleration will run in this process automatically.

I have just now performed a similar task on my laptop using the full version of chessbase 9 and it took the program only 8 minutes (!) to complete it.

So I suppose it must have something to do with the light version despite it´s activation.

I quite like the functionality of CB 9 and see no reason for an update either. Most important for me it´s stable and quick.

Edit: The same task takes 2 minutes if I only use the import into the opening keys and pass on the other ones , which I hardly ever use.

Tks for the information. Sometimes old version of CB are for sale. So I will try to get a legal CB9 for a small amount - or let things the way they are. When first thinking about buying CB I ran into an internet fraud Embarrassed. Phoning with CB they recommended a CBlight activation against an old version they had.

If someone is interested: Maybe it's worth while phoning CB and ask for an outdated version out of their store-room.

(Last remark: Importing UltraCorr needed 15 hours and 33 min - but there seems to be a solution for non owners - see above.)

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #26 - 10/12/11 at 17:34:18
Post Tools
Jupp53 wrote on 10/12/11 at 13:19:41:
For test reasons now I have started to import UltraCorr3a at 9:10 h local time in my "All"base now it's 15:10 h at this minute and game 570.000 has just been imported. After completion of the import the installation of the different keys and the search acceleration will run in this process automatically.

I have just now performed a similar task on my laptop using the full version of chessbase 9 and it took the program only 8 minutes (!) to complete it.

So I suppose it must have something to do with the light version despite it´s activation.

I quite like the functionality of CB 9 and see no reason for an update either. Most important for me it´s stable and quick.

Edit: The same task takes 2 minutes if I only use the import into the opening keys and pass on the other ones , which I hardly ever use.
« Last Edit: 10/12/11 at 19:04:25 by Fllg »  

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #25 - 10/12/11 at 16:08:48
Post Tools
Same with me. ChessBase 8.0 runs stable and has what I need. Now and then it crows something like "2.500 starts of CB 8.0... Cool!" After a while you get used to a program, why change... Speed isn't my first priority: when I am interested in a position I search for it in 8-10 databases; this search takes only minutes. The result is a small database, where the real work begins.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #24 - 10/12/11 at 14:35:53
Post Tools
[quote]I have CBlight 2009 - the activated version for 50€.[/quote]

The trouble (or one of them) is, this is no longer on sale, and you now have to spend twice that amount to acquire comparable features/possibilities. I have ChessBase 8, which doesn't allow me to import games from ChessLive.de, and I really do not want to spend a hundred quid to be able to do this. ChessBase might be making more money having withdrawn the 'activated' CBL 2009, but I fear they have made no friends ...

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #23 - 10/12/11 at 13:47:51
Post Tools
Yeah, I recognize that ChessBase has become so universal that there are "network effects" like all those cb files out on the internet.  ChessBase makes a lot of sense if that's important to you.  I just wish people would think twice before posting data in a proprietary format.  It's not the same thing as making it public.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo