Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Photo @ myPlace (Read 14266 times)
Stefan Buecker
God Member

Re: Photo @ myPlace
Reply #22 - 08/06/14 at 13:33:01
Post Tools
Louis Ewald wrote on 08/06/14 at 11:21:53:
So motivating..It is an awesome example how we can fulfill our energy needs own our own..

Presently Nordwalde is at 55%, far behind neighbour village Altenberge's 85%. So the race seems almost "lost". ( http://www.energymap.info/energieregionen/DE/105/117/183/214/13554.html ).

But my post was a bit naive. It is quite easy to achieve this "virtual" form of energy independence for rural places. They have an abundance of space. An equivalent amount of facilities for biomass or wind energy is simply not available for large cities. Today I live in Pforzheim, a town of 116,000, and they generate "only" renewable electricity equivalent to 23% of the power which they consume. 

http://www.energymap.info/energieregionen/DE/105/110/160/353/22432.html

Looking at the details for Pforzheim, I notice there are no wind turbines at all. Lack of wind, of course. Plenty of wind in the agricultural deserts of the Northwest...

IP Logged

Louis Ewald
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 08/06/14 at 11:21:53
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 10/18/11 at 00:31:04:
It's not Holland. It was taken in Nordwalde where I live. A village of 9.400, it had only 1 or 2 wind turbines in 1998. Incentives of the German government changed the picture: Now there are 12 wind turbines, 226 roofs have solar panels, plus electricity from biomass. This self-produced renewable energy is equivalent to 50% of Nordwalde's electricity needs.

Embarrassing that our neighbour village Altenberge is already at 64% renewables: They built higher wind-turbines (138 m).

So motivating..It is an awesome example how we can fulfill our energy needs own our own..

IP Logged

Severino
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 10/21/11 at 12:54:17
Post Tools
An attractive thought, but Hellquist's "Svensk Etymologisk Ordbok" (1922 - available on Project Runeberg), derives "Galen" from "Gala", in the meaning of acting as if being bewitched.

TalJechin wrote on 10/21/11 at 08:53:02:
Quote:
We Dutchies know about Münster - the war of 1672 and Bishop Bernhard von Galen

I wonder if this guy is the reason that "galen" means crazy in Swedish? Saw on wiki that he also attacked Sweden, though with little result I suppose, as I don't remember ever hearing of it before...

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #19 - 10/21/11 at 08:53:02
Post Tools
Quote:
We Dutchies know about Münster - the war of 1672 and Bishop Bernhard von Galen

I wonder if this guy is the reason that "galen" means crazy in Swedish? Saw on wiki that he also attacked Sweden, though with little result I suppose, as I don't remember ever hearing of it before...

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #18 - 10/20/11 at 12:02:18
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 10/20/11 at 10:25:36:
After the annexation of Münster you wouldn't have to change much - already now it is very bicycle-friendly.  Smiley Can we have The Hague in return? I like the big chess collection.

Only if you take the inhabitants of the Binnenhof with it. Heck we wouldnt need anything in return.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #17 - 10/20/11 at 10:25:36
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 10/20/11 at 10:07:32:
Stefan Buecker wrote on 10/20/11 at 05:41:56:
A larger city near Nordwalde is Münster

We Dutchies know about Münster - the war of 1672 and Bishop Bernhard von Galen, in the Netherlands known as Bommen Berend (Bernie of the Bombs). The city of Groningen still commemorates his name on August 28th every year.
At the other hand there is the Piece of Münster, ending the Eighty Years War.
Like the town of Geldern Münster is so strongly connected with the birth of the Netherlands that we should annexate it.

After the annexation of Münster you wouldn't have to change much - already now it is very bicycle-friendly.  Smiley Can we have The Hague in return? I like the big chess collection.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 10/20/11 at 10:07:32
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 10/20/11 at 05:41:56:
A larger city near Nordwalde is Münster

We Dutchies know about Münster - the war of 1672 and Bishop Bernhard von Galen, in the Netherlands known as Bommen Berend (Bernie of the Bombs). The city of Groningen still commemorates his name on August 28th every year.
At the other hand there is the Piece of Münster, ending the Eighty Years War.
Like the town of Geldern Münster is so strongly connected with the birth of the Netherlands that we should annexate it.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #15 - 10/20/11 at 05:52:24
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 10/19/11 at 15:11:01:
Btw Solar and wind arent renewable, once the energy is used it is gone. Unlike coal, which actually is renewable, though of course you need a little patience in order for it to renew Wink

A refreshing perspective. Radioactive minerals are said to be exhausted in about 80 years. But there must be more on Mars.

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #14 - 10/20/11 at 05:41:56
Post Tools
Once I played for the chess team of Dortmund-Brackel. Dortmund has done more than other Ruhr area cities for a greener image. And it has the "Zeitungsforschungsinstitut", ideal to research old chess columns in German newspapers.

To a certain extent all big cities are industrial and ugly. Some have the luck to include water (Hamburg, Kiel, Amsterdam) which detracts from the not so nice areas. A larger city near Nordwalde is Münster - it has the Aasee, a green oasis surprisingly close to the center. Münster lately won the competition for the "least noisy German city".

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #13 - 10/20/11 at 00:09:39
Post Tools
Willempie wrote on 10/19/11 at 20:51:09:
But you have to remember that Dortmund and the likes (also nearby Lunen) are very big in area due to them having Kreisen (sort of agglomeration of cities and villages), so there is bound to be more green than say in Amsterdam.

Exactly my point.

Willempie wrote on 10/19/11 at 20:51:09:
I doubt they would put up industrial pictures at Wiki, bad for tourism.

You are too smart for a logical fallacy like this. I never disputed that the Ruhr area has lots of industry. I stated that the Ruhr area has much more than only industry.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/Pano_Dortmund_East.jpg

I couldn't find - not that I've done my best - to find similar pictures for Hamm though.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #12 - 10/19/11 at 20:51:09
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 10/19/11 at 16:56:50:

I doubt they would put up industrial pictures at Wiki, bad for tourism (if there is any in Dortmund).  Wink
But you have to remember that Dortmund and the likes (also nearby Lunen) are very big in area due to them having Kreisen (sort of agglomeration of cities and villages), so there is bound to be more green than say in Amsterdam. Ie in Luenen there are 2 coal plants in a circle of 5 km, yet there is a lot of agriculture and small forestation. On the other hand if you drive from Lunen center to Dortmund center you can easily do this without passing any green areas.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #11 - 10/19/11 at 16:56:50
Post Tools

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #10 - 10/19/11 at 15:11:01
Post Tools
Btw Solar and wind arent renewable, once the energy is used it is gone. Unlike coal, which actually is renewable, though of course you need a little patience in order for it to renew Wink

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #9 - 10/19/11 at 12:41:57
Post Tools
Somehow the Ruhr area in black & white photos never looks "green". That steam is mostly water. But yes, you are right: Dortmund 3% renewables; Düsseldorf 4%; Hamm 4%.  Embarrassed But hey, I see that Nordwalde has twice as many wind turbines as Dortmund!  Smiley

Wind energy has helped the coast states to reduce their high unemployment. True, storage is an urging problem, and the new high-voltage grid has to be completed. Much remains to be done.

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #8 - 10/19/11 at 10:22:22
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 10/19/11 at 10:08:37:
Ah, Dutch prejudice. Düsseldorf is actually quite a green city.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordpark_Düsseldorf

Not prejudice. I work there quite often (Dortmund/Hamm).

http://lisafreiburg.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/img_7864.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo