Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Diamond Dutch (Read 21982 times)
Ludde

So much theory..so little
time

Re: The Diamond Dutch
Reply #15 - 02/20/14 at 21:00:50
Post Tools
Viking wrote on 02/20/14 at 19:08:21:

I pre-ordered it directly from the NIC website, and got it about a month ago.

IP Logged

Viking
God Member

Reply #14 - 02/20/14 at 19:08:21
Post Tools

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #13 - 02/19/14 at 16:36:00
Post Tools
Stefan Buecker wrote on 02/19/14 at 16:20:14:
TalJechin wrote on 02/19/14 at 15:02:16:
The Bookdepository (British(?) company nowadays owned by Amazon) also gets it in 16 days. I have it preordered since sofarbackIdontreallyrememberexactlywhen....

Schach Niggemann sent me the book 16 days ago. My invoice has the date February 3, 2014.

Congratulations! It wouldn't've helped me though, as they don't deliver to Sweden for some reason. Or at least that was the message I got the last time I tried to order from them a few years ago...

IP Logged

Stefan Buecker
God Member

Reply #12 - 02/19/14 at 16:20:14
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 02/19/14 at 15:02:16:
The Bookdepository (British(?) company nowadays owned by Amazon) also gets it in 16 days. I have it preordered since sofarbackIdontreallyrememberexactlywhen....

Schach Niggemann sent me the book 16 days ago. My invoice has the date February 3, 2014.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #11 - 02/19/14 at 15:02:16
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 02/19/14 at 12:54:12:
JonathanB wrote on 02/19/14 at 12:33:00:
Well they’re selling it in the chess shop on baker street.  I thought it’d been out for a month or two before I got it, but maybe I was wrong.

Amazon in the US is saying March 7; I guess distributors got it earlier in Europe.  I didn't realize that it was already published.  Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing a copy, as I like Moskalenko's books very much.

The biggest resellers get massive discounts so the publishers usually delay the date when their books gets available for them. And the biggest resellers pretend that that date is the official publication date...

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #10 - 02/19/14 at 12:54:12
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 02/19/14 at 12:33:00:
Well they’re selling it in the chess shop on baker street.  I thought it’d been out for a month or two before I got it, but maybe I was wrong.

Amazon in the US is saying March 7; I guess distributors got it earlier in Europe.  I didn't realize that it was already published.  Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing a copy, as I like Moskalenko's books very much.

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 02/19/14 at 12:33:00
Post Tools

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #8 - 02/18/14 at 13:30:30
Post Tools
JonathanB wrote on 02/17/14 at 22:01:58:
All that said, The Classical Dutch is my main Black against 1 d4 opening too and I don’t regret buying The Diamond Dutch for s second.

It's already out?

IP Logged

JonathanB

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 02/17/14 at 22:01:58
Post Tools
KampongBoy wrote on 02/17/14 at 17:19:09:
Not damning the book, simply interested in whether anyone else has seen it. I don't mind putting down money for the book, but would rather not do so until I get some balanced reports on its contents. If a new book comes out on any opening I am assuming that the author is offering something new and up-to-date...just wonder what it will be or is it a rehash of past coverage with little or no new insights. Undecided

Well it’s not a book on the Classical Dutch is it? To expect it to cover the opening in great detail is a little misguided, I think.

The three ‘main’ games covered are Feller-Williams, 2009; Gordon-Harvey 2012; Aloma Vidal-Moskalenko, 2009.  In the ... Ne4 sub-variation the critical Nxe4 is covered in a note.

But a cash grab?  I think not.  A sensible allocation of space (assuming that the goal was to cover all three of the main Dutch branches) given the relative popularity of the Classical/Stonewall and Leningrad, I would say.

There is a line of the Leningrad that gets some attention that can also be played via an early ... e6 move-order, but generally speaking I would suggest if your only interest is the Classical Dutch this book probably isn’t worth a punt for you.

You don’t mention Williams’ e-book released last year, his update here from a couple of years ago and his NIC Yearbook survey, but probably all three are more directly applicable to you.

A curiosity, however: Williams’ win over Gelfand appears in The Diamond Dutch, but not the Killer Dutch ebook.

All that said, The Classical Dutch is my main Black against 1 d4 opening too and I don’t regret buying The Diamond Dutch for s second.

www.streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com  "I don't call you f**k face" - GM Nigel Short.

IP Logged

KampongBoy
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 02/17/14 at 17:19:09
Post Tools
Not damning the book, simply interested in whether anyone else has seen it. I don't mind putting down money for the book, but would rather not do so until I get some balanced reports on its contents. If a new book comes out on any opening I am assuming that the author is offering something new and up-to-date...just wonder what it will be or is it a rehash of past coverage with little or no new insights. Undecided

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #5 - 02/17/14 at 16:15:20
Post Tools
That's basically my take on the Classical as well, but come on, let's wait and see what the book contains and not make too many assumptions.  We might be pleasantly surprised. 

Or not, in which case we can all complain about it after the book is released.  Plenty of time for that later.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #4 - 02/17/14 at 14:57:49
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 02/17/14 at 12:23:55:
I'm eager to get a look at his book, myself.

So am I Smiley

But I don't think he plays the Classical and as far as I know there are not many good news for Black for him to convey, except that 7...a5 is hardly playable anymore unless you turn it into a Stonewall, 7...Ne4 is defanged and 7...Qe8 is about the same it ever was...

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 02/17/14 at 12:23:55
Post Tools
Well let's not dismiss Moskalenko's coverage of the Classical Dutch before actually seeing it!  I'm eager to get a look at his book, myself.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #2 - 02/17/14 at 11:43:36
Post Tools
KampongBoy wrote on 02/17/14 at 01:41:33:
Anyone here received a copy of the book? I am playing the Classical more and more lately, however, looking in the index from the sample pages offered on Chessvibes, it appears there are only three games being offered (#s40-42). Not sure if it is worth it? I have Williams' book and DVD, McDonald's Starting Out, and Pinski's The Classical Dutch, this new one may just be a cash grab will little depth.

Moskalenko's books are usually quite readable and with some new ideas. But if you're only interested the Classical, then there's probably nothing new to you.

That 12.Kxf1 seems to be enough to deter people from 7...Ne4 - and there's little to report in the other black MLs...

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #1 - 02/17/14 at 09:34:33
Post Tools
KampongBoy wrote on 02/17/14 at 01:41:33:
Anyone here received a copy of the book? I am playing the Classical more and more lately, however, looking in the index from the sample pages offered on Chessvibes, it appears there are only three games being offered (#s40-42). Not sure if it is worth it? I have Williams' book and DVD, McDonald's Starting Out, and Pinski's The Classical Dutch, this new one may just be a cash grab will little depth.

which new book are you calling a cash grab with little depth?

Either way it sounds like you have more than enough books to be getting on with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo