Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Candidates 2016 Moscow (Read 47658 times)
IsaVulpes

No.

Re: Candidates 2016 Moscow
Reply #119 - 04/29/16 at 21:24:36
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 04/25/16 at 11:31:10:
I would state it that way to put it very mildly, that selecting the challenger to play a match for the World championship based on a mathematical tie-break formula is simply not on. It goes against the whole tradition of the event going back to Steinitz, besides being simply unfair on the player who tied for first place but is denied a shot at the World ch title in such a crude way.

This already happens in the qualification cycle in much worse ways, though?

One of the players in the candidates is a wildcard selected by the sponsor. You get selected based on which country you are born in and who throws out the money - actually, if some billionnaire played chess at 2750+ level and sponsored every candidates tournament, he could potentially buy himself into the cycle every time?!

Two of the players in the candidates are selected based on average ELO over the course of the year, going down to decipoints.
This is bad enough considering the natural inaccuracies of the ELO chart, but worse if you consider that it is quite possible to lose rating - Grischuk started the year at 2810 rating; if he had REALLY wanted to qualify for the Candidates, he could've just not played for the entire year except getting 0.5 points out of the first match in the World Cup and he would've been a shoo-in.
Consider the possibility that someone loses their rating-qualification for the Candidates because they simply didn't get kicked out of the World Cup early enough (with a first round loss going 0.5-1.5 you'd lose significantly less rating as a 2800+ player than if you went 1-1 all the way up to the semifinals and passed every round through the playoffs) and the entire system just look ludicrous.

Both of these things look like far bigger issues to me than the given tiebreak used within the tournament - when half the Candidates are already "unfairly selected", what does the tiebreak used really matter anymore?

---

Blitz Playoffs are entirely No-Go for me personally -
It's just too different games compared to classical; and deciding the challenger for the classical world championship via blitz games certainly has a worse ring to me than "most wins in classical".
Of course, the same applies to the WC match itself - does anyone really want to see a Carlsen-Caruana match that went 6-6 in classical get decided by Carlsen winning 5-0 in some Blitz playoff? I would certainly prefer a coin toss over that.

Rapid may be alright.. but again, I dislike separate playoff matches. Something along the lines of playing a separate Rapid tournament prior to the Candidates themselves that will determine your tiebreak score for later (So in the event of a tie, the one who placed higher in the rapid wins the tiebreak) is an idea IMO, but that again leaves many questions and lengthens the entire event.

The current tiebreak is doing its job (to whatever extend) while making the length of the event largely clear for organizers and players alike. It's.. workable, I guess. As long as the tiebreak is known in advance and doesn't get changed over the course of the qualification, that's pretty good for FIDE already :x

Just of note: I would disagree that you can judge the excitement of a game by its end result at all - many a great attacking game ends with the attacker settling for a perpetual; and I doubt the "general public" gets too fired up by 95 moves of shuffling pieces back and forth until a drawn R+B vs R+N ending transforms into a won one.
If you wanted to make spectators happy, how about a "Most sacrified pieces" tiebreak?  Cheesy

Overall, you'll never make everybody happy.
My tiebreak idea for the WCh (15 rounds, challenger has white in one additional game, in the event of a tie the WCh retains his title) will probably get called downright insane by players and forumusers alike, but shrug.

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #118 - 04/29/16 at 13:07:20
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 03/20/16 at 02:35:21:
Nakamura's explanation at today's press conference didn't help his case.  No talk about adjusting the piece or announcing "j'adoube"; instead he tried to claim that he hadn't realized he had touched the King.   

"In the above position Kasparov played his knight from d5 to b4, let go of it, then suddenly noticed that 27.Bc5! would lose the game. So he picked his knight again and moved it to f4. "I was not sure whether I had left the knight. In blitz it is difficult to tell," said Garry in his interview with Maurice Ashley at the end of the day. "I looked at Hikaru and the arbiter. If they would have claimed I would have resigned the game."

Cheesy

http://en.chessbase.com/post/garry-kasparov-still-has-the-magic

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #117 - 04/26/16 at 10:15:41
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 04/26/16 at 01:18:40:
The world is turning faster, and chess must adapt to it.

No. Cronyism, greed and stupidity are operating, here as elsewhere in the world, and those of independent mind must not act as if the forms those currently assume are inexorable.
« Last Edit: 04/26/16 at 18:07:04 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #116 - 04/26/16 at 03:51:39
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 04/26/16 at 01:18:40:
For a tiebreak, if you have to use one for whatever reason, most wins is one of the best, if not the best, apart from head-to-head result. I certainly prefer it to a roulette wheel or a coin.  Smiley

I just don't get the assertion that this is a good tiebreak at all, let alone the best?!?  And I don't even see that anyone's made a case for it...

...anyway whatever.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #115 - 04/26/16 at 01:18:40
Post Tools
I agree that the world championship and qualification for it should not be tampered with lightly. But I get the impression that for some people the sanctity of the cycle trumps all other concerns. Hypothetically, if we could make the cycle perfectly fair at the cost of losing 3/4 of the audience, who would find the chess played as a consequence too boring, should we do it?

I don't think so. We will likely never see candidates tourmanents with four games between each player or matches like the endless first Karpov-Kasparov WCh match again. The world is turning faster, and chess must adapt to it. The world championship cycle has the biggest media potential of all tournaments, and for that reason it can't afford to completely ignore what the mass audience wants to see.

Besides, is a qualification decided by a tiebreak really a bigger spot on the pure cycle than the split into two cycles in the 90s, Shirov's qualifying for a match for the world championship but still not getting to play, or (under the current system) someone potentially qualifying via a wildcard because the candidates tournament is played in his home country, or he is on good terms with the sponsor? I don't see it.

But I agree playoffs are better if possible, provided they don't degenerate into blitz or armageddon randomness. For a tiebreak, if you have to use one for whatever reason, most wins is one of the best, if not the best, apart from head-to-head result. I certainly prefer it to a roulette wheel or a coin.  Smiley

P.S. I also have to point out that even if Grischuk ultimately failed to get to the match in 2012, he came extremly close, and it would be hard to argue that he would have done better with another strategy. Andreikin managed to get all the way to the 2013 World Cup final (and hence a spot in the 2014 Candidates tournament) with essentially the same strategy. Apparently both he and Grischuk knew they were comparatively better at rapid than at standard time controls. But yes, this tells us more about the weaknesses of mini matches, and such a drawing strategy would not work well in a candidates tournament follow by playoffs. There's a very high probability that someone will end up with more than 50%.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #114 - 04/25/16 at 21:38:31
Post Tools
This is the World Championship, with history on the line, not a circus. The participants would undoubtedly participate in this tournament for much less money than they did, perhaps for none at all; it is not primarily a public show. It is certainly not a place to screw around with the game in order to serve the less educated part of the public. (I would oppose all such efforts on principle, but most of all in world championship play.)

I think roulette is definitely a better tiebreak than "most decisive games" (let's call it). The roulette spin that decided Smyslov-Huebner left no one in the West with the sense that chess had been distorted--even though the Red won on the wheel.

My own preference would be an unlimited sudden-death sequence of classical game pairs, or, failing that, an Armageddon game with bid time controls summing to those of a classical game. Capablanca, Karpov, Leko and possibly Schlechter, all notoriously hard men to beat, lost such ultimate games while holding draw odds and without being at a disadvantage with respect to time.

@katar
Regarding Grischuk's strategy in the Candidates' that Gelfand won, I would submit that that strategy did not suggest the defects of playoffs or of rapid playoffs, but if anything those of six-game mini-matches. No one complained of the rapid playoffs in Kramnik-Topalov or Anand-Gelfand. (I suppose, however, that if a blitz Armageddon game had decided the World Championship it would rightly have been regarded as a travesty.)

Besides, "reason would suggest" that Grischuk's setting out to use a draw-with-White/draw-with-Black strategy in classical games was not a great idea: if your capable opponent is playing for win-with-White/draw-with-Black, over the course of three or four matches you are very likely to lose at least one Classical match, and with it the Candidates.' And I can't resist pointing out gently that Grischuk's result supported that idea--empirically.

« Last Edit: 04/26/16 at 01:57:35 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #113 - 04/25/16 at 11:31:10
Post Tools
To clarify my earlier comment, because it seems like there are two separate discussions going on here.

One discussion is whether in general it is better to have tie-breaks or play-offs. I can certainly see the case, particularly in Open tournaments where tie-breaks are pretty much essential.

However, this is a Candidates 2016 thread, and I think I made it clear, and btw I dont see the term "ludicrous" as being too strong at all, I would state it that way to put it very mildly, that selecting the challenger to play a match for the World championship based on a mathematical tie-break formula is simply not on. It goes against the whole tradition of the event going back to Steinitz, besides being simply unfair on the player who tied for first place but is denied a shot at the World ch title in such a crude way.

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #112 - 04/25/16 at 07:24:51
Post Tools
At least it's certainly not a mathematical impossibility, let's say all games end in a draw, then Giri wins you can't make any decision based on the games played.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #111 - 04/24/16 at 14:44:48
Post Tools
I agree that "fewest losses" is hypothetical and unlikely to be picked up--nor should it be adopted, in my mind.  I'd rather just see a playoff.

I would like to agree that the "most decisive games" tiebreak at least contributed to exciting chess by affecting players' opening preparation, but I simply can't, unless we get some interviews from top players stating so.  For instance, the Ruy Lopez showed up 11 times, 7 of which were Berlins and 2 of which could have been a Marshall (which is just a drawing line at the top).  The last two featured 6.d3 and likely would have been headed to Marshall territory otherwise. 

So on cursory glance, I don't think that the tiebreaks changed anyone's preparation or their overall mindset of "win with White, draw with Black." 

Also, I just noticed something that I'd overlooked about the tiebreak system used.  Here it is:

1. The results of the games between the players involved in the tie.

If they are still tied:

2. The total number of wins in the tournament of every player involved in the tie.

If they are still tied:

3. Sonneborn – Berger System.

4. If there is no clear winner with the above 3 criteria, there will be a special competition between the players who still remain tied after using the 3rd criteria (Sonneborn – Berger): after a new drawing of colors, each tied player will play two (2) tie-break games with the other tied opponent(s). The games shall be played using the electronic clock starting with 25 minutes for each player with an increment of 10 seconds after each move.

I can't believe it!  Perhaps they figured that remaining tied after the first 3 conditions was a mathematical impossibility, but it looks like they had a provision for a playoff.  Why not move the playoff to the #1 or #2 spot?   Ridiculous not to, in my mind. 

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #110 - 04/24/16 at 04:32:39
Post Tools
IMJohnCox wrote on 04/23/16 at 23:50:21:
The problem with the most-wins system is that it fundamentally misunderstands the nature of the world championship and indeed chess itself. Chess is a war game, and in any war, the object is not to lose; victory is nice, but not essential. Fewest wins would be a considerably better tie-break.

Most wins is designed to promote interesting chess. That's fine in exhibition events like Linares, but it's anathema in a serious tournament. The world championship is trying to find the best player. Rewarding a particular style of play skews that objective and is fundamentally wrong (and typical of the cretins chess is presently run by).

A play-off is essential. I really don't know why this is so hard to organise. If not that, literally any tie-break system would be better than most wins. Fewest wins would be better, or tossing a coin, for instance.

I assume the coin toss bit is a joke. It is actually used as a last resort in some instances for tiebreaking/qualification in football, handball and even local chess. But random chance as an early tiebreaker would be hard for both players and spectators to accept. Despite their problems, systems like Sonnenborn-Berger, most wins or even fewest wins must be preferable to that.

"Fewest wins" is better than "most wins" if fairness is the only concern and you conceive of the nature of chess in the way you just described. But a tournament celebrates chess as the attempt to somehow coax the opponent into error, despite the fundamental drawishness of the game, while at the same time staying within an acceptable level of risk (whatever that means given a particular tournament situation, opponent, etc.). A candidates tournament instead of matches is already a step in the direction of rewarding players who try to complicate (in whatever way) and increase the chances of a decisive result, since there are invariably some out-of form or slightly weaker players participating. So "most wins" only amplifies somewhat an incentive that is already there.

Besides, "fewest losses" is very hypothetical: It's highly unlikely to be accepted by organizers and sponsors, since it rewards just the kind of chess ordinary fans don't want to see. If you want a format that more fully rewards not losing, you may be better off arguing for a return to candidates matches.
« Last Edit: 04/24/16 at 06:57:11 by Stigma »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #109 - 04/24/16 at 03:45:56
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 04/23/16 at 16:34:03:
Since "exciting" chess is surely subjective, I'd argue that objectivity isn't this system's strongest point, for the poster concerned about objectivity earlier. 

Subjective or not, can there be any doubt whatsoever that a majority of the interested audience prefers ambitious play and some wins now and then to lots of safe, risk-averse chess? And the tiebreak you end up with is 100% objective: it is known to the players beforehand and consists in a simple count of 1s and 0s.

In what scenario does the "most decisive games" tiebreak actually kick in and affect a player's decision? 

Both this question and the objectivity issue above should be put equally to all the alternative tiebreak systems. My argument was never that more wins is fantastic, but that it could be the least bad of many problematic alternatives. I am starting to wonder whether the real disagreement here is that I find most of the other tiebreaks at least as bad as more wins, while you and others think some of them are quite good?

Head-to-head result is obviously a good tiebreak, and seems to be used as a first tiebreak ahead of more wins in these tournaments. But using rating (as in your more recent post) sounds very strange and unfair to me. Sure, some players were more certain of getting to the candidates tournament than others, but once they are there and the clocks start, they should have an equal starting point. This seems so self-evident to me that I find it hard to argue for it. For one thing, it has overwhelmingly been the case throughout the history of tournament chess, as in most sports leagues.

Playoffs are great, and I'm not against them if they're economically and logistically possible. But once you get to stuff like blitz and armageddon, you are really playing a different game, and this is unfair to players who are much better at long time controls. There is also something absurd about deciding the most serious tournaments there are with an "unserious" game like blitz. So if possible, I would prefer to go no lower than rapid. Playoffs are also what led to the very negative (for the image of the game) strategy used by Grischuk and others, mentioned by katar earlier.

Sonnenborn-Berger has a long tradition, but organizers seem always on the lookout for alternatives. It rewards unstable players, or those who do better against stronger opponents but slip up against weaker (or out of form) opponents. I don't think this is any better than "more wins", though just in the case of a Candidates tournament, I suppose you could argue that players who perform better against stronger opponents might therefore also do well against the best of the best, i.e. the World Champion.

So to summarize the case for more wins as a second tiebreak, as requested:

- It's objective, easy to calculate and no less fair than the other known tiebreaks (apart from head-to-head result and playoffs, at least down to rapid)

- It rewards ambitious play

- It may also actually lead to more ambitious play and/or more wins and losses (awaits research), which is an important secondary goal for top tournaments once fairness is assured

- It avoids some economic and logistical problems with playoffs

Disadvantages:

- It may be unfair to solid players who tend to draw a lot of games

- It's vulnerable to collusion by players agreeing to play two decisive games between themselves. Though I don't think this is a big problem in the current elite.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #108 - 04/24/16 at 03:17:12
Post Tools
I just don't see how this tiebreak system influences any player's decision making until the last two rounds or so anyway; how is it promoting exciting chess then?  In the last couple of rounds people are going to be forced into taking risks regardless of tiebreaks used because of tournament standings, pairings, color draw, etc, etc. 

[...]

Is the tiebreak system really going to influence that decision?  Presuming it's early enough in the tournament that the players aren't in must-win situations yet (which will come regardless of tiebreaks), the player who sacced is going to bail out with the perpetual and live to fight another day.  In what scenario does the "most decisive games" tiebreak actually kick in and affect a player's decision? 

That's the major part of the disagreement here, isn't it? Some people (including me) find it very likely that there are situations where the tiebreak can affect some decisions. I can especially see this happening in pre-tournament or pre-game preparation, when deciding whether to use the most solid, drawish opening lines one has lined up, or go for something more unbalanced. If this tiebreak is/becomes commonplace, it would also send a signal to top players (both those currently getting these invites and those that want to get there in the future) that you had better be prepared to go all in for the win at least some of the time. Others think this tiebreak has no effect whatsoever, certainly not in the intended direction. But this is in the end an empirical question, so it doesn't make much sense to keep arguing back and forth without any research.

As LeeRoth did earlier, it's even possible to argue for "more wins" even if it doesn't affect the players' deicisions at the board at all differently from other tiebreaks. You could for instance conclude that all other imaginable tiebreaks are even worse.

ErictheRed wrote on 04/23/16 at 16:20:07:
Most people I've heard in interviews seem to dislike this system, so I really don't think that it's about "giving people what they want," though...

But by "people" LeeRoth obviously meant "the general audience [who presumably wants to see interesting chess]", not the top players or commentators who are likely to be interviewed about this.
« Last Edit: 04/24/16 at 05:11:49 by Stigma »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #107 - 04/24/16 at 01:15:49
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 04/22/16 at 16:56:28:
I would add that I think what the fans probably want is a play-off, rather than some mathematical tiebreaker.  FIDE seems to think so, as it prefers to have play-offs.  But play-offs aren't perfect either and having them isn't always practical in terms of time and money. 

I'm actually curious about this: could it be possible that a playoff would generate more revenue?  Certainly a World Series that goes to 7 games generates more revenue than one that goes to 5 (from advertising, etc).  The economics of chess are different I realize, but then I can't really see how tacking on 1-2 extra days to an event could cost THAT much more.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #106 - 04/24/16 at 01:02:25
Post Tools
We can agree to disagree, no problem with that.  I'm just curious about why this is a desirable tiebreak system, why choose this over the converse (least losses), for instance.  But I do think that either of these systems would go against the traditional way chess is scored (over or under valuing draws).

Best to have a playoff, or perhaps even choose highest rating?  Rating factors into who qualifies for the Candidates, why not have it factor in the tiebreak?  At least it's a reflection of actual over-the-board performance and chess prowess, which is ideally what I'd like to reward most.

Edit 1: I admit that I was a bit offended at the suggestion that I couldn't have an objective discussion about this subject earlier; I feel I've been polite and respectful in my criticism of the tiebreak system, and STILL don't see a case made for why it's a good one.  LeeRoth's latest post seems to imply that because it's the official one it's a valid system; I agree with that, I just think it's a terrible one!

Edit 2: Glad to see a much stronger and more-respected player's opinion, which seems to be the opinion of every Titled player I've heard on the subject.  Why have a system that players themselves don't want?

IP Logged

IMJohnCox
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #105 - 04/23/16 at 23:50:21
Post Tools
The problem with the most-wins system is that it fundamentally misunderstands the nature of the world championship and indeed chess itself. Chess is a war game, and in any war, the object is not to lose; victory is nice, but not essential. Fewest wins would be a considerably better tie-break.

Most wins is designed to promote interesting chess. That's fine in exhibition events like Linares, but it's anathema in a serious tournament. The world championship is trying to find the best player. Rewarding a particular style of play skews that objective and is fundamentally wrong (and typical of the cretins chess is presently run by).

A play-off is essential. I really don't know why this is so hard to organise. If not that, literally any tie-break system would be better than most wins. Fewest wins would be better, or tossing a coin, for instance.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo