Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Opening Repertoire: Narrow&Deep / Broad&Short? (Read 3423 times)
KestonyChess
YaBB Newbies

I Love Chess!

Re: Opening Repertoire: Narrow&Deep / Broad&Short?
Reply #8 - 08/01/17 at 13:08:05
Post Tools
I try to be creative and wide in choice with white, but very solid, narrow and deep with black.

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #7 - 07/20/17 at 08:19:53
Post Tools
We had a similar discussion here in 2015 see http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1443629168/7%5Cx237.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #6 - 07/18/17 at 15:09:13
Post Tools
Having to stop otb play I just tell what was my approach:

As I went up from 18xx to 20xx the last years every tournament game was analyzed and this analysis changed always my understanding of the opening as well as the resulting positions. So sticking to the openings was matched with changing moves and ideas. So I never feared to run into preparation.

This changed around 2000. The tougher opposition was sometimes clearly better prepared and knew the resulting positions better. So, in case I get a better health, I will have to prepare endgames and middlegames and special move orders in the opening.

In short: It depends on playing strength. Miracle: Getting stronger means more work!  Wink

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #5 - 07/18/17 at 08:24:34
Post Tools
I really like the idea of having one general "repertoire", with various tweaks in the subvariations to keep things fresh, without entirely changing the nature of the position.

For the last few years, my White repertoire has been centered around the d3 Italian, the Bb5 Sicilian and the French Tarrasch.

In the Italian with 3...Bc5, I started out playing the plan with delayed castling and a quick Nd2-f1-g3. Gradually I added to my arsenal, and now choose between the former, the classical main line, and the modern plan with a2-a4.

In the Sicilian with 2...e6, my main line was 3 d3 Nc6 4 g3, but I've also essayed the nuances 4 c3 and 3 g3.

Within the French Tarrasch (after, in my games, the near-ubiquitous 3...Nf6) I've played the Main Line with 7 Ne2, the 7 Ngf3 gambit, as well as Yvseev's 4 Bd3.

It's nice; you can keep playing "your" openings that you understand, but still avoid complete predictability.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 07/18/17 at 03:20:46
Post Tools
For practical play, I think most club players would probably Be better off sticking to one main White system, and, as they get comfortable with it, adding lines/alternatives within the chosen system.  Main Line Ruy?  Add the Exchange or d3 or the Worrall.  Not 1.d4.  As Black, start with one main defense to each of 1.e4 and 1.d4/1.c4, and try to know it really well.  Make it "your" defense.  To expand, add lines within your defense or learn a whole new defense.  It helps to have two defenses. One sharp and one solid - one for when you really need to win and one for when you just aren't in the mood.  But hey, YMMV.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #3 - 07/17/17 at 22:35:04
Post Tools
Ideal for amateurs is probably a deep enough repertoire that has the scope to be broad without too much trouble.  I mean, one can play the Sicilian Defense their whole career, and change variations within it (from the Dragon to the Scheveningen to the Kan to the Taimanov...), which probably takes less work than learning another whole opening like the French.  Even if you switch from the Dragon to the Scheveningen, many of the key strategic themes are similar, and you can use most (if not all) of your anti-Sicilian repertoire. 

The same is true with most other big, main defenses.  If you specialize in the Queen's Gambit Declined as Black, for instance, you can change between the Tartakover, the Lasker, and the Orthodox; then maybe add some lines of the Semi-Slav depending on move order, then maybe expand things to include the Ragozin at some point, perhaps the Vienna variation, perhaps the Tarrasch at times... you can have a fairly large, varied repertoire and be fairly difficult to prepare against without jumping all the way to the King's Indian, Grunfeld, Dutch, etc.

Of course you might want to vary things up completely occasionally for variety or fun or your chess education, but that sort of approach seems the "best" for long-term results.  You do have to sort of fall in love with a particular opening (like the Sicilian), though.  And some openings are easier to fall in love with than others!

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #2 - 07/17/17 at 19:43:41
Post Tools
For me narrow is the answer. Deep ? Well, I'm only 2036 so deep is a relative term ! I concentrate on a narrow repertoire to try to develop feel and understanding. I would appreciate the second choice e.g. adding a second variation in the same opening. For an amateur like myself I feel more than 1 answer to d4 and e4 means you're likely to spend too much time on the opening without successfully achieving the desired "prepared" feeling when you sit at the board.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #1 - 07/17/17 at 19:00:39
Post Tools
Broad&Deep is the ideal answer.  Cool

On amateur level both approaches should work, while it's increasingly rare to see titled players relying on only a limited repertoire that they know in depth.

I remember Malakhov once saying that his approach as Black was to stick to one defence at a time (against each first move, obviously) and just know it better than everyone, while as White it was more important to be flexible and unpredictable in order try to catch your opponents where you think they are weakest. Presumably the logic is that White doesn't get a meaningful advantage anyway, especially if Black gets a kind of position he wants and knows, so a psychological "play the man" approach is needed, while as Black it's more important to be theoretically OK and really familiar with the positions in order to reduce the risk of losing.

I do this to some extent in that I vary quite a bit with White (with 3-4 different first moves, though 1.d4 more often than the others), pretending that I actually know enough to pull that off without bluffing! Of course the point is the same as Malakhov's: To look at the database, find some weakness in my opponent's repertoire and/or style, and try to exploit that.

As Black I ideally want to have at least two defences against both 1.d4 and 1.e4, one sharper and one more solid (Malakhov's singular approach may work less well if your only defences are really sharp and unbalanced). But the reality is that my sharp defences have stayed with me over the years, while I keep cycling through more solid/mainstream defences without settling on any long-term. This lack of solid defences to fall back on, ones I really know and understand, hurts me against stronger players...

Apart from this talk of the ideal approach, in reality I find it hard to resist looking at whatever openings I find interesting at any given time. Recently I've had a French Defence binge despite officially having given it up (except in blitz) and having two other defences to 1.e4 I do well with. This forum also triggers my undisciplined opening studies. Well, sometimes I just have to follow my interest instead of fighting against it.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Opening Repertoire: Narrow&Deep / Broad&Short?
07/17/17 at 17:19:51
Post Tools
Hiya, fellow OTB tournament players!

Apologies if this thread already exist (I presume it must have?), but a quick search didn't give me any results, if alone because I had no clue what search terms to use.

Anyway, on to the topic:
How have you guys built up your repertoire?
- 1-2 Opening Variations each (with White / vs e4 / vs d4), explored very deeply
- 1-2 Openings each, not as deep, but with constantly switching variations (say.. you always play 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6, but then you decide on Marshall/Breyer/Berlin depending on mood/opponent)
- Several very different openings, which you don't know as deep, but which makes it very unlikely to run into home prep
- No set "own" repertoire, instead hardcore digging through opponents games to discover holes, and then attempt to exploit those
- Something else?

I am leaning to somewhere between 1 & 2, but I am unsure to what extend that workload makes more sense than "just" exploring swathes of different openings/pawn structures (both for learning chess & for getting good results in tournament play).

How afraid are you of your opponent's preparation in general? If they play something that you hadn't seen in their games beforehand, do you instantly try to steer it into unfamiliar waters to ensure they didn't look up a singular variation to play against you? Etc

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo