Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Finding a heavy, squat old friend . . . (Read 752 times)
cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Re: Finding a heavy, squat old friend . . .
Reply #3 - 10/10/20 at 16:30:16
Post Tools
Since it was over 50 years ago it is entirely possible they were made of a special type of plastic called, "bakelite." There's a nice wiki article located here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

I love bakelite; heavy, solid, indestructible. Think of grandma's clunky old rotary dial phone or those heavy old radios. Love the stuff. I have several old pieces of amateur radio equipment and it has a classic quality. You emphasized the set's heavy, solid, plastic qualities. Lots of Russian, eastern european sets were made of this stuff. (Soviets loved bakelite too). I would love to paste an image but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get a pic from my desktop to this post. But here's another link:

https://www.etsy.com/market/bakelite_chess_set

There's a ton of older sets out there. Perhaps this is what you want?

Hope this helps,

Andrew

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #2 - 10/08/20 at 12:40:05
Post Tools
Definitely post a photo, otherwise I think it's going to be very hard to help you here.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 10/06/20 at 18:30:44
Post Tools
There are quadruple-weighted and extra heavy pieces out there.  It might help to have more detail.  Can you provide dimensions, such as height of king and diameter of base?  Anything you can tell us about the style of the individual pieces?  Maybe post a photo?

IP Logged

Wwqlcw
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Finding a heavy, squat old friend . . .
10/06/20 at 14:40:39
Post Tools
Okay, kind of a strange request.  Well over 50 years ago now, at the Canadian Open in Toronto I bought a set of plastic chess pieces.  They were extremely heavy; but their best characteristics was that they were "squat," so that, along with their weight, they were terrific for speed chess (no pieces falling over!).  They were just a bit oversized for standard boards, but still worked fine.  And  back in those days there were no extra Queens included.  Anyhow, I still have the pieces, and would love to get  extra Queens . . . or better still, buy two Queens as well as a few new sets, to roll out on the day "physical" chess clubs open again!  I've searched, and found many double- and triple-weighted sets, but nothing matching the profile of the set I have.  No distinctive markings on the original cardboard box, either, to trace the original manufacturer.  Nothing on any of the front-line suppliers.  No ebay or etsy sets that are similar.  Zilch.

Does anyone know of such pieces?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.   Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo