Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Fritz Question (Read 1541 times)
cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Re: Fritz Question
Reply #6 - 05/27/22 at 22:42:56
Post Tools
Easy & awesome! Edited the .uci, opened, closed, re-opened Fritz and all is well. Thank you so much. I set it at 14 (of 16) for now since I found out if I leave Fritz crunching in Infinite Analysis with all 16 cores running, walk away for a drink, and then the wifey tries to quick hot seat the pc while the cat's away and check her email - look out! The mouse can lose focus and Outlook won't open. Wives and PCs are always an adventure. I am blessed.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #5 - 05/26/22 at 13:52:56
Post Tools
Here's the easy way to do it.

1. In Windows Explorer, make sure 'show hidden files' is on.
2. Go to Users > [username] > AppData > Roaming > Chessbase > Engines.UCI
3. The *.uci files are text files. Open the appropriate one with a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++. You can usually do this by right-clicking on the file and 'open with.'

Here's what my SF15.uci file looks like:

[ENGINE]
Name=Stockfish 15
Author=the Stockfish developers (see AUTHORS file)
Filename=F:\ChessBase\Engines\stockfish 15\stockfish_22041822_x64_avx2.exe
Priority=below normal
[OPTIONS]
UCI_Chess960=true
Threads=6

The key bit is Threads=x, where you can set it to whatever you want. I'm on an eight core machine, so I could set it to eight, but I've got it at six because I'm often doing other things while the engine is running.

4. After saving the file, go back into Chessbase and make sure it's doing what you want.

Also, fwiw, you are correct that two threads are needed for Leela, assuming you have one GPU. I think three are best practice if you have two running.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #4 - 05/26/22 at 12:28:30
Post Tools
That is interesting. Just googling, "loading stockfish 13 parameters" I came across several discussion threads elsewhere on how to do this, but none actually said how or with what tool, just what to change. I will post a link to "Stockfish tuning method" below as an example. This makes me wonder if one needs to be confident in C++ compilers. The last time I even looked at one was 1998 and you would hear a big "whoosh, whoosh" sound flying over my head if I tried that today. Grin

Quote:

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #3 - 05/26/22 at 01:34:53
Post Tools
Poking around the internet I see reports of problems saving Stockfish13 settings in ChessBase, Aquarium, and SCID. No version numbers mentioned for the GUIs. I didn't search for other versions of Stockfish.

The default number of threads for Stockfish13 is 1. Putting on my debugger's cap, it's possible the various GUIs are sending the user's saved parameters to Stockfish "too early" in the load process, and Stockfish is reverting to the defaults somewhere along the way. Once the engine is fully loaded, you change the parameters again via the GUI and this time they stick. I put "too early" in quotes because, based on your report, the timing seems okay for other engines.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #2 - 05/26/22 at 00:10:46
Post Tools
Solved - sort of but not really.

So, if I load Fritz 17, Komodo 10, Fat Fritz (in lc0) cpu the engines load and default to 16 CPUs. I did run a "Chess Benchmark test" prior to trying them and it correctly detected 16cores. The problem is with SF 13. To get it to work with SF13 & 16 cores I can go to change main engine, get to engine parameters, change to 16 "Threads" and save. Once loaded, fine! But it will not save my settings as the default. Instead, if SF13 is the default engine, I have to hit change main engine, select SF13, load, and then select the saved SF engine parameters as I set it to be. But every time I shut down and restart it with SF13 as default, it defaults to only 1 CPU. Aargh! But as you said, fewer clicks. I sent Support a help ticket.

AOC, you are correct about considering how many cores to dedicate to Fritz, but I am OK with just maxing it out. If I chose lc0 or Fat Fritz via cuda, opencl or rtx settings it always defaults to 2 CPUs. I do have an RTX 3080 ti, FWIW. I'll see what support has to say.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #1 - 05/24/22 at 20:28:37
Post Tools
Create a new engine with your desired number of CPUs, and set that new engine as the default engine. If that doesn't work, create a new engine but *don't* set it as the default. It should at least save a few clicks switching engines vs changing the number of CPUs. If *that* doesn't work, contact ChessBase support.

As an aside, I thought it was best practice to not assign _all_ the cores to the engine, since the OS also has work to do. I wonder if the OS is reporting the number of CPUs as "two", and Fritz the GUI is taking one for itself, helpfully leaving the other "one" for the OS.

IP Logged

cathexis
God Member

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Fritz Question
05/24/22 at 19:11:01
Post Tools
Every single time I open Fritz it defaults to 1 CPU (or core). But I want it to default to 16, the number of cores on my PC. Not the biggest thing in life, true. But I think I ought to be able to have it save my favored settings. Any ideas on this?

TIA

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo