Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Yelena Dembo on Chess.com (Read 81184 times)
Jay

Re: Yelena Dembo on Chess.com
Reply #177 - 02/05/11 at 04:05:32
Post Tools
I was going to diligently read through the many pages, but I must concur that correlation suggests but does not prove cheating.  They would have to monitor the given player for a period and see if their correlation falls.  They simply are not going to do that; it would be hard enough for a game lasting an hour.  For correspondence chess it seems impossible.  Personally I never care if an opponent uses a computer against me, but then I am a lowly pawn in the chess world.  I also like others think that pre-computer analysis is likely to cause an increase in the correlation to computer moves.  In one line I am studying in Avrukh's 1.d4 vol 1, he clearly admits that one awkward and surprising move is computer generated.  If I face it, correspondence or not, I will play it.  Does that make me a cheater?

IP Logged

FirebrandX

What would Houdini do?

Reply #176 - 09/26/10 at 19:09:15
Post Tools
I myself had long since suspected Dembo of cheating. I personally reviewed one of her CC games on chess.com against a 2700+ rated player and it was shocking to find the ENTIRE game followed Rybka exactly from her side. Every time Rybka found some slight inaccuracy (meaning a gain of a centipawn) she jumped on it in the exact same 20-move deep tactical squeeze that Rybka worked out. I've never ever seen a GM pull that off, not even in CC. It took MONTHS of this going on before FINALLY chess.com concluded she was consulting engine help and therefore breaking the ToS. They didn't just shoot from the hips and claim she cheated. This was a long a drawn out investigation that they really did not want to have to make (as you can see from the fall-out). I commend them for making that tough call, though I'm still disappointed Dembo was able to get the cheating tag removed by threatening legal fees, when no other banned account has been able to do that.

I should also point out that to my knowledge, chess.com has not revealed their cheat detection system. Rest assured, a player has to be blatantly cheating, and for a LONG time before the site staff intervenes. In fact, I've often complained to them that they take TOO long to get rid of the obvious cheats.

IP Logged

Uruk

Reply #175 - 09/26/10 at 18:31:49
Post Tools
Bonsai wrote on 09/26/10 at 08:45:11:
Then you want to see how often the person matches the computer's (let's say Rybka's) choice particularly in positions where there are a lot of nearly equally good moves.

When there are equally good moves the ordering of top choices is all the more sensitive to depth and the engine used.

IP Logged

Zygalski
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #174 - 09/26/10 at 14:45:41
Post Tools
Pretty sure an IM rated about 2400 shut the chess.com account in question after checking through the games.
Don't let this get in the way of the discussion though.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #173 - 09/26/10 at 13:49:48
Post Tools
Seth_Xoma wrote on 09/24/10 at 00:04:43:
when chess.com accused her of flat-out cheating on their website with questionable evidence (not 100% verifiable), that could ruin her public image. This is where chess.com really dropped the ball, IMO.

Nice to read that the discussion hasn't made any progress:

MNb wrote on 09/20/10 at 10:08:23:
No judge will accept this analysis as proof - as chess.com apparently also has realised.

Of course I agree. It's sad that some jugglers can't accept this.

Göran wrote on 09/24/10 at 02:03:45:
That is accusing without standing for it – shame on them too. I think they are the real cheaters.

Exactly.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

drogo
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #172 - 09/26/10 at 13:31:59
Post Tools
I play on chess.com, but mostly bullet. But I can answer your questions:

1. If both players agree, you can play unrated games with computer assistance on chess.com.

2. The account had the name YelenaDembo because that was her choice. There are IMs and Gms there who did not reveal their real name to the public. Dembo herself put even a picture of her.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #171 - 09/26/10 at 13:20:17
Post Tools
TJ, That's expressly forbidden on the site. (Except perhaps in unrated games, I don't know.)

Regarding Dembo's name being released, my guess is that was a condition of her free account.

But the grounds for a lawsuit are defamation, which I suppose is also a breach of privacy in some esoteric way.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #170 - 09/26/10 at 10:14:06
Post Tools
Btw, there might be a way that somebody could use an engine there and still not be a cheater - i.e. if both players agree before the game that engines are allowed. Or is that explicitly forbidden?

Btw2, on the sign-up page for chess.com it says:
Quote:
" Privacy Guaranteed 
Your email address & personal info are safe and will NEVER be shared with anyone!"

Extra fuel for a possible lawsuit?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #169 - 09/26/10 at 08:45:11
Post Tools
Having followed this thread for a bit, I would say that something like the following might work reasonably well:

Take all games from a person, but look only at the part of the game where computer help was most likely (i.e. exclude part of the game where there are already games in the database and also once computer evaluations are hugely in favour of one side - even a cheater might play out the K+2P vs. K endgame without assistance)

Then you want to see how often the person matches the computer's (let's say Rybka's) choice particularly in positions where there are a lot of nearly equally good moves. As observed previously it is more plausible that decisive tactics might more often be seen than that someone evaluates positional nuances exactly as Rybka does.

Top 3 matching or similar methods make sense in part because a cheater might let his computer run for hours, which is of course infeasible for someone trying to check lots of games for potential cheating. As a result the shorter time you can invest in checking a position will result firstly in some more or less random fluctuations in the evalutions as well as in the checker having somewhat poorer moves available.

All of this then needs to be put into a proper statistical model, which will then be able to tell you how comparable the percentage of computer moves is compared to
  • pre-computer age high-level correspondence chess
  • very recent computer age correspondence chess (perhaps not too high-level, so as to look at players who might be very likely to accept a lot of computer suggestions - let's say 2100 to 2300 rating?)

In particular you might use the comparison between those two things to actually figure out what kind of statistical model really fits this data well. Some logistic regression model (fit/no fit) might be an option.

However even if you conclude that the play matches computer play better than past high-level CC, then you would have the problem to decide why that is, either
  • the player in question has a different style that more closely matches the computer (I guess less likely, but at least possible)
  • the player in question is more precise than past CC players (hopefully accounted for if one e.g. looks at only situations where there were a lot of very similarly evaluated moves, but the person let the computer make the "positional" decisions)
  • The player is quite strong and the game sample just happens to be "unlucky" so that there are a lot of matches in moves with the computer.
  • The player used computer help.

What you would of course have a hard time detecing is a player that makes all the positional decisions himself only checking whether the computer sees something important...

IP Logged

drogo
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #168 - 09/26/10 at 01:55:10
Post Tools
"An interesting point is that the player in question made fewer engine-based moves than his opponents! "

More likely his engines go to much higher depths than the programs we use.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #167 - 09/25/10 at 14:45:21
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 09/25/10 at 08:03:42:
Quote:
The Batch Analyzer inbuilt database consists of only around 4m games, but since the sample size of 'non-database' analysed moves is quite large, hopefully any skewing of results is fairly limited in the final %'s.  Also, of course, it's highly likely that engines were consulted anyway during theorised stages of each game.

What does this comment mean? - that you wouldn't reported van O if he'd been playing on chessdotcom?

Anyway, I'm not surprised that the % for option 1 seem lower in real corr.

And surely stats over corr with engines should have been researched to test the method. Just like a diagnosis tool for finding an illness would have to be tested on people with the illness...

This entire batch job was run without removing dB games? I know you'd have to run the dB for games played only up to the date of the games in question, but how "hopeful" can we be that the statistics aren't skewed?

An interesting point is that the player in question made fewer engine-based moves than his opponents!

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #166 - 09/25/10 at 08:03:42
Post Tools
Thanks!

Quote:
The Batch Analyzer inbuilt database consists of only around 4m games, but since the sample size of 'non-database' analysed moves is quite large, hopefully any skewing of results is fairly limited in the final %'s.  Also, of course, it's highly likely that engines were consulted anyway during theorised stages of each game.

What does this comment mean? - that you wouldn't reported van O if he'd been playing on chessdotcom?

Anyway, I'm not surprised that the % for option 1 seem lower in real corr.

And surely stats over corr with engines should have been researched to test the method. Just like a diagnosis tool for finding an illness would have to be tested on people with the illness...

IP Logged

drogo
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #165 - 09/24/10 at 14:04:04
Post Tools
Volcanor wrote on 09/24/10 at 12:54:16:
If you know and understand what is meant by the H0 hypotesis, variance, Student t-tests, the risk alpha and Bonferroni corrections, fine: you're better than me in statistics and I apologize for not undestanding your smart question. And I'd be pleased if you're kind enough to formulate the question in words that I can understand.

Let's say that I'm quite in the middle, maybe in the lower half. I've heard about hypothesis testing, variance and student, but I didn't hear of risk alpha. I heard of Bonferroni inequalities, but not of corrections. I had to take a stats course, unfortunately it was very theoretical and not hands-on (aka it emphasized measure theory proofs).

IP Logged

drogo
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #164 - 09/24/10 at 13:54:53
Post Tools
Yes Zygalski, that's what I wanted to say, but Schaakhamster was faster: the top-3 analysis is certainly a step towards catching cheaters and obtaining an average above 65/75/85 is a strong suspicion of engine assistance. There are however things which must be addressed before the top-3 analysis can become the automatic tool to separate reliable cheaters from strong players.

One of them is indeed the confidence interval. The other is to address ties. There are situations in the endgame when the first 5 choices of the engine are all 0.00. This could introduce a high fluctuation in the results if let's say, the move chosen by the player was the 5th best, while its evaluation was still 0.00. I'd also put here partial matches, i.e. how do I label a move which appears as the 4th choice but it's only within 0.03 of the optimal move?

As I said, it is reasonably to believe that such top-3 analysis are used by chess servers as a smoking gun. Sure, you can compute tactical error too, but I think the decisive factor right now involves human decision. Aka, examining when the player matches the engine. It's one thing to have a single good candidate move and to choose it and to pick consistently from 7-8 good candidate moves the optimal one. Unfortunately this makes the whole process impossible to reproduce.

IP Logged

Schaakhamster
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #163 - 09/24/10 at 13:29:57
Post Tools
Zygalski wrote on 09/24/10 at 13:15:55:
Schaakhamster wrote on 09/24/10 at 12:17:00:
Zygalski, we are not doubting the results of your work. But we are doubting the method behind it. As you have clearly stated that you don't understand the statistics behind the method you use I don't think there is anything you can add that will take our skepticism away.

The top 3/4 method isn't that difficult to grasp. I do understand how it works. But the way you draw conclusions from the results is quite arbitrary. For instance the +5% rule: on what is that based? Just because it looks nice? Statistics allows to calculate probabilities and to calculate thresholds (for instance: if the result is higher then X only Y% of the results will be higher). Then it is basically just a case of choosing the threshold which is just a policy decision (how do we value the chance that we will exclude people that aren't cheating?). 

Basically I'm having a though time believing in a system that get it's viability from statistics but ignores all statistical rules when drawing conclusions from the results. I do think that is why chess.com quickly gave into Dembo's demands. I think a statistician would have a field day with the method used unless they use more sophisticated methods after one of their monkeys (no insult intended) comes across something.

Well I've had a think about it & you have actually convinced me to change my mind.
The top 3 or top 4 match up methodology does indeed seem fatally flawed & should never be used to suggest that someone may have used an engine to suggest moves in their games.

Yelena Dembo may or may not have used an engine; I have absolutely no idea.  But clearly I was totally wrong to publish the top 4 match up results from those 20 chess.com games, even though this analysis can be done by any paid member of chess.com or anyone else who had access to the games in question.

I unreservedly apologise for any suggestion that I may have made that at any point in any of these games WGM IM Yelena Dembo ever used an engine to suggest moves.

I'll publish the match up results of the 20 van Oosterom games, as requested, then I won't post on this forum again.

Hold your horses;

I don't think you efforts are in vain. Someone with such high top 3/4 values does warrant some extra attention. It on itself is probably not enough to draw definitive conclusions. But hopefully chess.com backs it up with more reliable methods.

You are doing a commendable job as a volunteer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo