Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Linares! Linares! (Read 3024 times)
yaltmax

If you smile, the whole
world smiles with you...

Re: Linares! Linares!
Reply #4 - 04/09/03 at 14:14:25
Post Tools
Yes, I agree, Kasparov should just wait the end of the ceremony and politely appeal the decision in appropriate manner. Acting like he did just makes Kramnik and others more likeable people on top Smiley

However, like you mentioned, this is his character and maybe just because of that he is #1 in the world because of his strong attacking chess.

Well, I don't know who I would like to be... #1 being a bad guy or #2 but being a nice guy 8) Hm, I think I'd choose #2-nice but when I get to #2 my opinion might change Wink

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 04/08/03 at 07:22:11
Post Tools
Well, it seems the game was pretty controversial (see Neil MacDonald's comments in his French update).  I agree that it was not particularly brilliant by Radjabov - Gazza just blundered in a clearly better position - but it should not take away from the fact that the kid had to play pretty ingeniously even to give Kasparov the chance to go wrong so spectacularly.

I sympathise with Kasparov - I am sure that the motives he attributes to the judges are accurate - but does he think that acting in such a petulant manner will make it more or less likely that people will act in this way in the future?!

Really, the guy has achieved pretty much all there is to achieve in chess, he is still world no.1 and for many the greatest of all time.  Does he think that one game and one tournament will affect him so much?  Of course, hating to lose is one of the things that makes him great, but even so, on the basis of the reports it would have been difficult to tell which was the 15-year-old at that prizegiving.

What does everybody else reckon?

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #2 - 02/25/03 at 10:31:14
Post Tools
Well I had read somewhere he turned 16 last week, but according to the Linares website his date of birth is 12th March 1987 so you are probably right ... Either way, pretty impressive.

It does look as if Kasparov is increasingly vulnerable these days - his losses to Kramnik, Karpov, DJ (although he drew the match) and now Radjabov in recent years show that he is capable of slipping up.  I really think that the world of chess is so wide open at the top that there should be a 'match-tournament' like in 1948 to reunify the title - that way Anand, Topalov, Adams, Shirov could all be involved.

After that it should go back to three year cycles, but the reigning champ should have to play in at least some rounds of the candidates matches (come in at quarter-final stage maybe?)

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

yaltmax

If you smile, the whole
world smiles with you...

Reply #1 - 02/25/03 at 09:47:34
Post Tools
And he did not even turn 16 yet, did he? I saw reports saying he is 15.

By the way, right before that loss, there was an article published by Mig that Kasparov has lost only 1 game for the last 4 years!!

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Linares! Linares!
02/25/03 at 08:16:45
Post Tools
Just turned 16 years old and Radjabov beats Kasparov with Black at Linares ... that is one hell of a talent ...  Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo