Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Databases (Read 2303 times)
ARed
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Databases
Reply #3 - 01/16/04 at 07:54:10
Post Tools
If you have not decided yet, you can start in any case with Fritz 8 (not so expensive) which has several database functions. Then, for a limited number of games (9.000) you can use CBLight for some additional tasks. Further, you can also try some freeware chess databases to see if anything fits to your needs.

Regards

PS: For beginners> Make sure that when you select a program, it has to have also a reasonably good help file.

IP Logged

htownmmm
YaBB Newbies

Love others as you love
yourself.

Reply #2 - 10/20/03 at 23:50:21
Post Tools
If u go to www.chess reviews.com, ron pawlak does a nice job of listing the pluses and minuses of Cbase,Cassistant,bookup, and Cacademy.  U will get the most out of chessbase as long as u have the corresponding Fritz; chess assistant uses Tiger which is included. u can play against tiger,but u can't modify it's strength. Embarrassed. Fritz allows u to modify it's strength so u can place it 100-300 rating points higher than your current level. in this way,u can have a built in practice partner who is somewhat stronger than u-enough to understand why u went wrong. Angry. free copies(demos) of both database programs are available on the net. in fact, with Cbase light, u can do most of the things u will need-unless u r a GM-in which case, u wouldn't have asked the question. Grin

IP Logged

yaltmax

If you smile, the whole
world smiles with you...

Reply #1 - 08/08/03 at 23:48:08
Post Tools
Well, it looks like Chessbase got everything you need. I use it and I like it. I don't use it that much so I can't talk as an expert but sure someone will point out major differences between two mentioned above. I also never used Chess Assistant.

IP Logged

dilligaf
YaBB Newbies

The only failure is the
failure to try..

Databases
08/08/03 at 17:38:06
Post Tools
Being new to this site, thought I would try and start a discussion on databases.
Chessbase and Chess Assistant appear to be the two most popular ones.
What are the pluses and/or minuses of  these systems ?
I do not as yet have either, so would welcome your opinions.
              I keep pushing  the wood,
                                                        Tony

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo