Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Chess playing programs (Read 3357 times)
CraigEvans
God Member

If I can't sacrifice a
pawn, I'll throw my rook
in

Re: Chess playing programs
Reply #6 - 12/28/03 at 09:02:44
Post Tools
I recently (well, 4 months ago) purchased Junior 8. Tactically it's excellent, but it's evaluations of some positions (especially with material imbalances) are obscene - I've been two pawns down with no compensation and it's claimed that my comensation is worth all but half a pawn, then a few moves later realised that I'm just lost. My old Fritz 6 used to never see compensation for material, so I suppose if I used the two together I might get some interesting results.

Regards,
Craig Grin

"Give a man a pawn, and he'll smell a rat. Give a man a piece, and he'll smell a patzer." - Me.

"If others have seen further than me, it is because giants have been standing on my shoulders."
IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #5 - 12/28/03 at 08:18:42
Post Tools
Crafty is a perfectly decent engine.  Not quite as strong as Fritz, Shredder etc. but certainly strong enough to kick my butt all over the board!  Sad

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #4 - 12/27/03 at 23:59:05
Post Tools
How does the lates version of Crafty compare with the commercial programs?  Of course I don't mean all the bells and whistles that you won't get, but the playing strength.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #3 - 12/01/03 at 02:54:24
Post Tools
I'm sure there probably are but all-in-all I imagine it is less liekyl to fall into the sort of problems that afflicted Fritz in Game 3 of its recent match with Kasparov, where it just didn't know how to handle the interlocking pawn chains and never got any play going on the kingside where it had more space.  Kasparov just steamrollered the machine on the queenside without it getting a whiff of counterplay.  I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine Hiarcs having the same problem.

On the other hand in hand-to-hand combat, give me Fritz any time - it just seems to see further for some reason.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #2 - 11/29/03 at 20:26:00
Post Tools
Thanks for the reply.  That is very interesting, is there any positions that Hiarcs just doesn't get at all?

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 11/28/03 at 04:38:20
Post Tools
You really can't do better than Fritz, but Shredder, Junior, Hiarcs or Tiger are all perfectly good alternatives.  If you can spare the cash it might be worth investing on a coupel of programs (I use Fritz and Hiarcs more or less interchangeably) so that I can get 'second opinions'.
For basic tactics they all do the job, but they will disagree quite markedly about the evaluation of some positions.  I still think Fritz is the leader, but there are some positions it just doesn't 'get' at all, and for those, Hiarcs is a good alternative.

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Chess playing programs
11/27/03 at 23:19:26
Post Tools
I'm considering buying a new chess playing program.  Was wondering if any of you had any recommendations since there seem to be several good programs out there.  My main use for the program will be to analyse my own games and sometimes the games of others as well as for opening analysis.  Any advice would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo