Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) C00-C19: Everyman on the French? (Read 7603 times)
Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Re: Everyman on the French?
Reply #3 - 03/10/05 at 07:56:05
Post Tools
Quote:
There's been a lot of discussion of Pedersen and Psakhis in earlier threads, but little reference to McDonald's Winawer and Jacobs's Classical French, both from Everyman.  Has anyone seen them?  How are they?  Would they complement the Gambit and Batsford offerings, or would they be superfluous additions to my chess library?  I'm especially curious about Jacobs's book, since the Classical French is the cornerstone of my repertoire with Black.

IMHO the Everman book is well worth having, even though it was published as long ago as 2001 (!).  Jacobs was helped  by Glenn Flear, Nigel Davies and the strong correspondence player Jonathan Tait. There are references and analyses in this book that you are unlikely to find anywhere else. I would say that, despite the complete games format,  it is pretty useful, especially on  the Mac and the 6 h4 gambit in the Classical.

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #2 - 03/10/05 at 07:22:41
Post Tools
This won't be much help to you, but in the absence of any other replies...

I have McDonald's Winawer book which is reasonably good.  The problem is that I was thinking of playing the Winawer but never did.  To be honest the general tone of the book just didn't inspire me to play it.  McDonald just didn't seem that enthusiastic - maybe he is just objective!

As regards Jacob's book, I don't have it but have looked at it at book stalls in tournaments.  From what I remember it was pretty good and had good coverage of the McCutcheon compared to Pedersen (which I also have).

To be honest if you just have Pedersen I would say buy the everyman books, but if you also have the 3 or 4 Psakhis volumes then there is probably not much point.

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #1 - 03/09/05 at 18:12:08
Post Tools
Nobody??

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

C00-C19: Everyman on the French?
02/21/05 at 11:36:57
Post Tools
There's been a lot of discussion of Pedersen and Psakhis in earlier threads, but little reference to McDonald's Winawer and Jacobs's Classical French, both from Everyman.  Has anyone seen them?  How are they?  Would they complement the Gambit and Batsford offerings, or would they be superfluous additions to my chess library?  I'm especially curious about Jacobs's book, since the Classical French is the cornerstone of my repertoire with Black.
« Last Edit: 08/03/11 at 19:39:15 by dom »  

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo