Latest Updates:
Normal Topic What do you do against the Marshall? (Read 2576 times)
Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Re: What do you do against the Marshall?
Reply #3 - 04/06/05 at 05:56:39
Post Tools
I believe it is a case of a tradeoff.

If you avoid main lines to study less, your results improve...up to a level. Then further improvement is difficult precisely because the hard work was avoided in the first place.

OK, there is the Spanish exchange and 5.d3, as explained by Martin in his recent DVD...

Even Khalifman was shy of tackling the Marshall. But there are some lines that white seems to risk little....

So, what are YOUR priorities?

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Peter Kitchen

Reply #2 - 04/04/05 at 10:20:20
Post Tools
8.c3

I have only faced the Marshall in rapidplay games, but I figure that I'm not going to learn much by avoiding such a critical line.

Having looked at some lines of the Marshall, there are chances white gets a better game than in the classical Lopez lines!

That said, I may well look at playing it as black in the near future too. Its an opening i no longer fear as white and could use as a surprise weapon as black.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #1 - 02/26/05 at 06:07:42
Post Tools
i hardly play 1. e4. But when i do, my favourite is  "allowing" the marshall with 8. c3 d5...  and then playing 9. d4.  It's not objectively best, but at least it leads to regular-looking ruy lopez positions, and white gets a big centre. Bacrot-Anand 2004 is the last word on this line.. the indian won but i think white still has some resources.

IP Logged

CheckMate

What do you do against the Marshall?
02/24/05 at 15:14:14
Post Tools
Say you wanna play the main line of the Ruy Lopez. Then you have to decide how to react if your opponent plays 7 ... 0-0 and so threatens to launch a Marshall Counter Attack.  What is your favorite method?

a) Challenge the Marshall by playing 8. c3
b) 8. d4
c) 8. a4
d) 8. h3
e) 8. others
f) Play an earlier Ruy Lopes side line (e.g. Exchange, center Counter, DERLD,  Worral...)
g) Play onother opening than the Ruy.

Myself I used to play 8. d4 but lost faith in it because of 8 ... Nxd4 (!) 9. Bxf7+ Rxf7 10. Nxe5 Rf8 11. Qxd4 and it's white who has to fight for equality. Needless to say neither 8. a4 nor 8. h3 suits my style so I have switched to the Lopez Center Attack (1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4. Ba4 Nf6 5. d4 !?). This line don't give a permanent edge (if black knows what to do!) but it's still gives me a playable position without having to expose myself to the dangers of the dreaded Marshall Attack. But it seams to be a cowardly way to handle the Spanish Game. Perhaps I should switch to 1. d4!

The Marshall/Antimarshall complex is such an efficient antidote to the Ruy that I wander why not every player moves 7 ... 0-0 instead of 7 ... d6 regardless if they are going to play the Marshall or not.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo