Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The Austrian Attack (Read 4160 times)
M.Nb

Re: The Austrian Attack
Reply #10 - 04/08/05 at 15:53:36
Post Tools
Only the specific line 4.Be3 ...  5...o-o? is almost a forced win; Black should play 5...c6 of course.
After 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Be3 c6 (again I think this more precise than o-o at once) 6.h3 o-o 7.a4 Nbd7 I like Norwood's plan: assuming that White plays a4-a5 somewhere Black creates counterplay with Qc7, Rb8 and b5.
It is a different story, if White leaves the pawn on a4.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #9 - 04/08/05 at 08:53:29
Post Tools
Davies' book draws on Dzindzi's work.

Actually I think Black's safest response is (1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Nf3 Bg7 5.Be3 0-0 6.h3)  6...c6 7.a4 Nbd7 - but it can lead to some pretty passive positions in which the += assessment is not really in doubt.

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

CheckMate

Reply #8 - 04/08/05 at 08:08:54
Post Tools
The last post was submitted prematurely, comp trouble!! So here we goes again:

Dzindzizashvili have an article where he claims to have "refuted" the Pirc:

http://alumni.plymouth.edu/~zrstephen02/DIEPIRCDIE.html

He proposes the system with 5. Be3 and 6. h3

What do you think guys, he surely have some interesting ideas.

I think blacks safest reply is the immediate ... Nc6 with the idea ... e5 on which Dzindzi's Bb5 may be critical.

IP Logged

CheckMate

Reply #7 - 04/08/05 at 07:57:27
Post Tools
Have you read Roman Dzindzizashvillis article "Die pirc die!" on hi

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #6 - 04/08/05 at 05:30:41
Post Tools
Hmm ... well, I am not worried about 3.f3 ...

It is indeed quite difficult for Black to generate winning chances in the dxe5/Qxd8 lines - it is not like the KID where White has committed himself to c2-c4.  As Inn2 suggests, this means the Pirc is not necessarily a good way to play against weaker opponents (not to mention the semi-forced draw in the 5...c5 Austrian ...).

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #5 - 04/08/05 at 04:25:05
Post Tools
I have read Davies' dynamic reti and fully agree the h3/Be3 system is easy to play and as good a squeeze as any. Certainly it tends to put Black in a developmental zugzwang where every move he makes has some drawbacks.  This is one of my top choices. The nice thing about the Pirc from White's point of view is there are so many promising lines.

(no points for guessing 3. f3! is my favourite of them all).

Occasionally as White against stronger players (IMs, FMs), I am one of those cowards who employ the supremely boring classical lines where white plays dxe5, Qxd8. Embarrassed These lines are incredibly annoying for black, even if white doesn't have any edge at all. So far i have =3 painlessly. The curious thing is that the masters don't even bother to try to beat me in the endgame! ???

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #4 - 04/08/05 at 02:56:52
Post Tools
Well, one of the attractions of the Pirc is that the king usually feels pretty safe tucked away behingd the fianchettoed bishop there.  But there are exceptions - some lines of the Austrian, the line mentioned by MNb (I don't agree that it is almost a forced win for White, but he is right that Black would be well advised not to 'castle into it' for the time being), some lines in the supposedly 'quiet' h3/Be3 system (check out the system recommended in Nigel Davies' Réti repertoire book, discussed on another thread somewhere), and above all, the Bg5 lines.

My increasing disenchantment with the Pirc is associated with a feeling that White is always slightly ahead of Black in these sharp lines, even where the second player has plenty of counter-attacking potential in his position.  Then again, perhaps I am just playing better players these days and their ability to combine defence with attack is better than mine! Undecided

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 04/07/05 at 14:44:07
Post Tools
4.Be3 and 5.Qd2 is pretty much directed against the Black king and gives rather good prospects of a += at least in my opinion. Especially 4.Be3 Bg7 (c6 5.h3 and 6.f4) 5.Qd2 o-o? 6.o-o-o and 7.f3 is close to a forced win for White.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 04/07/05 at 12:36:59
Post Tools
alumbrado,

Is there a way for White to play for king attack and not give up his += birthright?  I am largely ignorant of Pirc theory, but my impression is that White's best lines against the Pirc all imply some sort of slow, clamping strategy.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #1 - 04/07/05 at 03:16:18
Post Tools
Well, chess is a fight, and as with most fights, the better fighter on the day will usually win.  It is just that I increasingly think Black is tying one arm behind his back (or at the very least conceding an advantage in weight and reach to White) in the Pirc.  Of course it is still a viable opening (I still use it most of the time out of inertia), but I no longer feel confident with it as I used to.  Perhaps it is precisely because I am playing at a higher level to what I am used to.
However, as I have made clear elsewhere, it is not just the Austrian that causes trouble for Black.

IP Logged

CheckMate

The Austrian Attack
04/06/05 at 14:54:26
Post Tools
Hello Guys!

At a local club turnament a quite remarkable game was played in the dreaded
Austrian Attack against the Pirc. The flow of events was so unusual for this particular line that I decided to share it with this forum. I think this kind of
fantasy counter attacks only can occur in amateur games but is's certainly quite entertaining. I'm not giving out the names of the combattants on the net so here we goes:

Player 1 [1990] versus Player 2 [1821], Uppsala Mastership 5 April 2005
-----
1. d4 d6 2. e4 g6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. f4 Bg7 5. Nf3 c5 6. dxc5 Qa5 7. Bd3 Qxc5 8. Qe2 Nc6 9. Be3 Qa5 10. 0-0 Ng4 !??  (I think this is dubious) 11. Bd2 Qh5 12. Bb5? [Too passive, I think white should play 11. h3 e.g. ... Nd4
12. Qe1 Nxf3 13. Rxf3 and now a) 13. ... Nf6 14. e5! etc. or b) 13 ... Bd4+
14. Kh1 0-0 15. Nd5!] 0-0 13. h3  [More logical is 13. Bxc6 bxc6 14. e5]
Nd4 14. Nxd4 Bxd4+ 15. Kh1 Qh4!? 15. Be1 Qh6 17. Rd1 e5!? 18. Bc4?
[essentiasl is 18. Rf3] Ne3  (-+) 19. Nd5 Bxh3 20. Ne7+ Kg7 21. Rxd4 Bg4+ 22. Kg1 Qxe2 23. Rxd6 Qh5 24. Bc3 Ng4 25. Bxe5+ Nxe5 26. Bxe2 Qxe2 27. fxe4 Qxe4 0-1

Not bad against the Austrian!!

I think this is what we should rejoice in (and parhaps laugh at) regarding amateur chess as opposed to the machine like perfect GM chess. The bottom line is that you probable should not fear the Austrian if your a below 2000
player, your opponents will not play optimal! So keep going for the Pirc despite Alumbrado's pessimism.

I should mention that the strongest player in my club is an IM and a 2400 player and he has stuck to the Pirc in his entire chess career.

P.S. No disrespect to you, Alumbrado! I'm certain you play at a very high level, perhaps you're even an IM! Up there you might be right to fear the Austrian.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo