Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1.e4 or 1.d4? (Read 31832 times)
The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Re: 1.e4 or 1.d4?
Reply #6 - 04/15/05 at 05:39:09
Post Tools
The last post by Inn2 was so obvious (when you see it) yet so brilliant!

I have played 1.e4 all my chess career (13 Years).  Recently I had been thinking of switching to 1.d4 but couldn't really make up my mind - it seemed like a lot of work.

Then after reading Inn2's idea of deciding which you would rather face the Nimzo or Siciilain, QGD or the Spanish etc it all became obvious!

To quote Inn2 "for me 1. d4 is a no-brainer choice"

Thanks Inn2

IP Logged

Willempie
God Member

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #5 - 04/13/05 at 14:23:55
Post Tools
If your concern is the "drawish" theoretical lines, I would go for e4. You tend to meet 1 .. e5 a lot less when the rating rises as most black players dont like to run into "pet" openings like the king's gambit and some openings where it is hard to grab the initiative like the 4 knights and scotch. A lot of the players in my club would love to play a Berlin or closed Spanish with black, but dont play e5 for that reason.

If you're worried about the berlin, just play the scotch and play d4 against the Petrov.

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #4 - 04/13/05 at 12:09:50
Post Tools
MNb: Yes, Najdorf and Sveshnikov are very difficult. Well, I'd probably go 3.Lb5 in the sicilian. (I succesfully tried 2.c3 in CC.) Maybe I try 3.d4 vs 2...e6. I'd probably play 3.Nf3 avoiding the Nimzo.

One of my concerns are the solid lines (QGD, Petroff, Berlin). I'm not really used to long theoretical drawish lines.

It's difficult to say anything general about the sicilian. It's not one opening. The Nimzo is a very hard nut to crack. It would be very nice to get something like 4.a3 or 4.f3 to work.

QGD: I've followed the development of the Bf4-line. Still, advantages are often very small as they seem to be in the Bg5 main lines.

Semi Slav: Also difficult. I tried the Meran in CC with one nice win and a horrible loss.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #3 - 04/13/05 at 11:11:33
Post Tools
When considering picking up 1. d4, you should ask yourself two questions:

1) what to do against the nimzo
2) what to do against 1. d4 d5 (especially QGD and slav/semi-slav).

If you prefer facing the nimzo to the sicilian I guess 1. d4 is a better choice? i find this comparison apt, because the nimzo is somewhat like the sicilian... in that black has an extremely sound position and yet can play for a win.

The other comparison is: do you prefer to face the QGD and slav/semislav, or face the Petroff and Berlin Ruy?

for me 1. d4 is a no-brainer choice.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #2 - 04/12/05 at 05:54:20
Post Tools
When considering picking up 1.e4 you should aks yourself two questions first:
1. What to do against the Svesjnikov?
2. What to do against the Petrov?

The third question must be:
3. What to do against the Najdorf?

These Black defences are at the moment the hardest to crack.

I do not know what you played against the Symmetrical English, but in case you choose 1.d4 I want to mention the transposition 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.Nf3 or 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 c5 4.Nf3, so you might already have something against the Benoni.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #1 - 04/12/05 at 04:42:58
Post Tools
Maybe I should add that I'm not looking for quick fixes. I want reliable lines that I can play both in OTB and CC games. I don't mind studying theory. (I haven't studied much opening theory but I'm willing to change.) My OTB rating is 2070 and CC rating is probably 2300.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

1.e4 or 1.d4?
04/12/05 at 04:24:56
Post Tools
I'm currently playing 1.c4 in OTB chess (using Kosten's book). I'm thinking about switching to 1.e4 or 1.d4 instead. Which should I choose?

Perhaps it would help if I've list what I've played over the years.

Black against 1.e4
OTB: Alekhine, Sveshnikov, Caro Kann (briefly), Alekhine.
CC: French, Sveshnikov

I don't trust the Alekhine completely but I like the dynamic positions that often arise. I'm thinking of taking up Najdorf in CC games using the recent book by Arizmendo & Moreno.

Black against 1.d4
OTB: Stonewall, Vulture, Stonewall, Slav, Leningrad Dutch.
CC: Leningrad Dutch.

I have good results in the Leningrad Dutch. I might try the KID in forthcoming games (using Gallagher's recent book.)

White:
OTB: Larsen, e4 and English
CC: Nf3 (like Kramnik), English and e4.

So, I've never really played the Ruy Lopez or Queen's gambit. In OTB chess I played the King's gambit and in a recent CC game I tried the Scotch.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo