Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Trying to find a 1.d4 defence (Read 14382 times)
IM Christoph Wisnewski

International Master

Re: Trying to find a 1.d4 defence
Reply #42 - 10/12/05 at 09:33:05
Post Tools
While enjoying to learn new things about the Tarrasch, what are the newest developments in the English Defence? I recently discovered it and played some games on the Internet; they were great fun, I even intend to take it up as a surprise weapon (main weapon still being Chigorin)...

"Chess you don't learn, chess you understand!" (V. Korchnoi)
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #41 - 10/11/05 at 12:13:30
Post Tools
Quote:
No, it can't be 7.c5, but mentioned that since I thought it still could be of interest. The 7.a3 games went 7...c5 8.cxd5 Nxd5 9.Nxd5 exd5 10.dxc5 Nxc5. Isolani.

Yes. This is it. Now I fully recollect. I'm not comfortable exchanging pieces leading to IQP. More of a mind set than anything else. 8.cxd5 exd5 leads to superfluous pieces and hence I let it pass, thinking it is not my cup of tea. I need to revisit it again since I am not very happy with 6...c5 either.

Thanks, anyway for the help.

CastleRock

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #40 - 10/11/05 at 11:58:31
Post Tools
No, it can't be 7.c5, but mentioned that since I thought it still could be of interest. The 7.a3 games went 7...c5 8.cxd5 Nxd5 9.Nxd5 exd5 10.dxc5 Nxc5. Isolani.

Don't check me with no lightweight stuff.

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #39 - 10/11/05 at 11:41:39
Post Tools
Thanks a lot Alias for the info. Obviously it can't be 7.c5. I'll look up the games. Thanks again for the prompt response.

CastleRock

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #38 - 10/11/05 at 11:00:51
Post Tools
castlerock:

#61: "The New Trend 6...Nbd7" (Focusing on 7.c5)
#68: "The Trend is continuing..." (7.a3! and 7.h3)
#70: "The Trend is continuing... (Part II)" (7.Qc2 and 7.Rc1)

Introductions written by Zoran Ilic. He thinks that 7.a3 is the best. Main games: Zviagintsev-Lputian, Poikovsky 2003 and Ponomariov-Vallejo, Leon 2003. (Pono played two games as white against Vallejo in Leon 2003. He tried 7.c5 and 7.a3 and won both.)

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #37 - 10/11/05 at 10:35:09
Post Tools
Quote:
By the way, I think 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 Be7 5.Bf4 is called the Blackburne variation. At least that's what it's called in NiC yearbooks.

Alias,

I need a favour if you can. In one of the year books there was a discussion on Blackburne Variation where Black includes Nbd7 before c5 and after dxc5, Nxc5 was played, accepting an IQP. Idea was to shift the knight to e4 and to create King side play. I had doubts on this since the knights become Dvoretsky's superfluous pieces and I let it pass then. Now, I don't know which NiC Year Book it was and what is the game I am talking about. Please see if you can trace the game and post.

Thanks

CastleRock

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #36 - 10/11/05 at 09:43:35
Post Tools
Alias,

As I acknowledged earlier, I made a mistake in calling the game a Tarrasch.  I arrived late at the game and some IM (who shall remain nameless) had said it was a Tarrasch so I unquestioningly believed him.  That isn't an excuse for my error, just an explanation.  I've heard the Bf4 QGD called the Blackburne too. But I looked up the line with ...c5 and it's apparently known as the Harrwitz as I pointed out in my correction.

Regardless of its name, it is certainly a topical line and Topalov's handling of it makes the line very dangerous.   I've played this line as Black against a FM and managed to draw.  However, I was completely outclassed in the opening and only managed to escape from an inferior position after my opponent relaxed a bit too much as the endgame approached.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #35 - 10/11/05 at 09:28:19
Post Tools
By the way, I think 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3 Be7 5.Bf4 is called the Blackburne variation. At least that's what it's called in NiC yearbooks.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #34 - 10/11/05 at 09:13:37
Post Tools
The Bf4 line is the most common line nowadays in the QGD. At least it seems so looking at top level games. The most common idea for black is to play early c5. Still, it's not a Tarrasch.

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #33 - 10/11/05 at 06:32:59
Post Tools
Thanks for the compliments SF. But I am not comfortable with the high desibel levels in many threads. I hope it's a passing phase and what makes me uncomfortable is that I am also a party to it in some threads.

I hope it is unfounded. But my worry is half the threads in the forum will soon turn into Averbakh thread, if we don't apply restraint.

CastleRock

IP Logged

BladezII

Member of chesspublishing
.com and STC Club

Reply #32 - 10/10/05 at 22:44:45
Post Tools
Quote:
Thank you Bladez for pointing out my error.

The game is thematically very similar to the Tarrasch, and is probably better for Black than the formal Tarrasch because White has committed his Bishop to f4 and pawn to e3.  I saw the position from when Black had his pawn on d4 vs a pawn on e4 and made the very wrong assumption that it came from a Tarrasch.

That Black had difficulties in a line that is much more respectable than the Tarrasch proper is even worse news than my mistake!

@ Smyslov

The Semi Tarrasch is different and the QG declined (other lines) proper even more.  Just how different they are is something you dont seem to understand.  And it seems you have not played/know both of them (semi and Tarrasch proper) as black at a decent competent level.

Those of us who have played them know there is much more activity for Black in the Tarrasch proper.  Another point.  White also has Bf4, e2-e3 set-ups in the Tarrasch proper.  Third, the move order used by Morozevich does not favor black if he is looking to set up like the Tarrasch proper.  It only helps him to try to achieve set ups in the QG declined or Semi if that's what he wants.
I can show you specifically what I mean, but you come across as a person who knows what your talking about (at least you try) in the Tarrasch.  But if you are humble enough to ask what I mean, I will be glad to show you AND put all this behind and extend a hand of friendship.

I mean, as it now, it all looked like a poor attempt to save face after I pointed out you were wrong about saying what you said of Topalov and the Tarrasch.

I am a participating member of chesspublishing.com since 1998.

IP Logged

Alias
God Member

Reply #31 - 10/10/05 at 12:25:54
Post Tools
alumbrado: Yes, but that's why included the first quote (from another thread).

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #30 - 10/10/05 at 10:05:42
Post Tools
Quote:
I am not sure anybody will get anything out of this thread anymore. Wink  Tongue

I hope you're wrong Castlerock,

But when personal attacks hit a thread, they tend to blow up.  Maybe this one can be saved by thoughtful contributions from such reliable writers as Alumbrado and yourself.

IP Logged

alumbrado
God Member

Esse quam videri bonus
malebo

Reply #29 - 10/10/05 at 09:26:22
Post Tools
I think MNb's point is that he prefers to reach the Dutch via 1.d4 e6 or 1...d6 and then after 2.c4/2.Nf3/2.g3 etc. only then 2...f5.  This avoids 1.d4 f5 2.Nc3 and 2.Bg5, but it allows 2.e4, which means having either the French or the Pirc/Modern as your defence to 1.e4.  This is not compatible with playing 1...e5 (or at least with doing so exclusively).

If sometimes we fly too close to the sun, at least this shows we are spreading our wings.

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #28 - 10/10/05 at 09:17:59
Post Tools
Quote:
MnB: I don't get it.

I am not sure anybody will get anything out of this thread anymore. Wink If I were MNb, I would PM you. Tongue

CastleRock

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo