3 (15.0%)
Fresh    
  1 (5.0%)
You forgot my favorite!    
  5 (25.0%)

Total votes: 20
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Best Chess Movie of All Time! (Read 14763 times)
midknibhtblue
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Best Chess Movie of All Time!
Reply #25 - 10/17/05 at 01:44:21
Post Tools
Hello, I am new here. First post! I personally really loved The Luzhin Defense.   Also, I heard that knight moves was awful, but never seen it myself.  I watched Fresh at like 3:30 a.m. on cable.  It was awesome, although I couldnt stay awake for whole thing.  Never heard of seven seals, will need to look out for that one.  Certainly, Searching for Bobby Fischer is decent - but not the best one on the list.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #24 - 10/14/05 at 12:09:25
Post Tools
There is no doubt that as a film, The Seventh Seal is the best listed, and indeed, one of the best films of all time.  If I recall correctly, Death mates the Knight with ...0-0-0++.  I understand why Bergman staged it that way, but I think most players would've chosen the simpler ...Rd8++.

Dangerous Moves is a good movie, and the chess is technically more interesting than in the Bergman film.  I forget, was 2001, A Space Odyssy mentioned?

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #23 - 10/13/05 at 07:33:42
Post Tools
Quote:
Here is an on line chess movie. Watch this and you can get MGP autographed by Kasparov.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2677

FYI:  As Castlerock pointed out, this is attached to a lottery for an autographed Kasparov My Great Predecessors book.  You have to guess which of three games it is.

The movie itself is only four minutes long, and even then I skipped ahead.  It's a very slow four minutes.  I recommend just looking at the stills from chessbase and looking at the relevant positions from the three games to make your choice of which game it is.  Have fun!  

(Surprisingly, choosing which game it is turned out to be really easy!)

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #22 - 10/13/05 at 05:26:42
Post Tools
6/9-05 Two Canadian Chess Videos (http://scc.saskchess.com/modules.php?name=videos) - once again Jamin Gluckie provides an inside report of what chessplayers think about during a game.

A cut n paste from my site's links to fun stuff - for those who haven't seen these chessmovies yet...

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #21 - 10/13/05 at 04:07:35
Post Tools
Here is an on line chess movie. Watch this and you can get MGP autographed by Kasparov.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2677

CastleRock

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #20 - 10/13/05 at 03:59:09
Post Tools
@Smyslov_Fan

Just noticed a new book at Chess & Bridge that I s'pose would interest you:

Chess in the Movies
Bob Basalla
£22.95
422 pages (large format)

It's all here, entertainment and fun about one of everyone's favorite topics....movies....only this book on flicks is about how chess is used and abused as a "prop." Dentist, chess guy, and film buff Bob Basalla goes through more than 2000 movies to find the howlers, the silliness, and some of the most amazing conversations you wish you had never heard.There are illegal moves, checks that aren't checks, positions that are impossible according to the rules of chess, and plots that are off the charts with continuity problems being tougher than the chess problems!

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #19 - 10/11/05 at 00:16:38
Post Tools
I just saw the movie Uncovered which was mentioned here.  Don't rent the movie for the chess or for the nudity. 

It's based on the book, The Flanders Panel by Arturo Perez-Reverte and is quite a good, entertaining mystery.  Ok, good is a bit of an exaggeration.  It's about 2.5/5 stars.  It's pleasant with your mind turned off. 

Thanks for pointing it out to me Taljechin, I enjoy Perez-Reverte novels (the way I like junk food) and it's good to see another of his books reach the silver screen!

IP Logged

micawber
God Member

like many sneaks and skunks
in history he's a poet

Reply #18 - 09/27/05 at 14:18:59
Post Tools
I too like the Seventh Seal. I dont think its a typical Bergman film in some aspects. Its a narative of a Knight (played by Max von Sydow) who returns home from the crusades.
The film gives a rather good picture of mediavel Europe haunted by the plague.
On his way home the Knight  playes a chess game with Death, who naturally has the black pieces. There is some wry humor in it:
Death at a certain moment tries to cheat. Also note that the plague is also known as the "Black Death).  The Knight finally makes a sacrifice (which doesnt save his game) but saves two of the main characters.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #17 - 09/22/05 at 23:03:27
Post Tools
No, you're wrong MNb!  Grin

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #16 - 09/22/05 at 23:00:54
Post Tools
Hey, Smyslov_Fan, it seems to me as if all your polls only prove one thing: that chess fanatics can not agree on any subject!

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #15 - 09/21/05 at 23:18:26
Post Tools
Sorry,

I just looked it up, and it's about a chess prodigy who's discovered by a TV producer during China's Cultural Revolution.  It looks like it's about western-style chess after all!

Another movie which depicts the problems of westernism during China's Cultural Revolution is the excellent flick, The Red Violin.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #14 - 09/21/05 at 23:14:30
Post Tools
I haven't seen it, but be aware it's a martial arts flick, and the translation is a bit loose.  It probably doesn't have any chess at all.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #13 - 09/21/05 at 18:49:08
Post Tools
Just came across the film King of Chess while googling, anyone here who's seen it?

http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=40229779&SearchEngine=CJaffiliate&Type...

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #12 - 09/15/05 at 06:50:37
Post Tools
Taljechin,

Of course whenever you ask for an opinion, I'm more than willing to give mine!  Grin  I sat through the Luzhin Defense and was disappointed by the pacing, the chess positions (there were even cases when the board was set up wrong), by the lack of feel for the tournament halls,  and by the woodenness of some of the performances.  

It's not a great movie, but if you have insomnia you could do worse than rent this one.  Still, it's not nearly as good as the novella by Nabokov.  After that movie, I washed my brain out by watching Dangerous Moves again.  

I know, I couldn't resist putting in another plug for that movie. The positions were actually created Laszlo Szabo in Dangerous Moves.  And for those who think the plot is unoriginal, kudos!  In many ways, it's a recreation of the Karpov-Korchnoi Manilla match, with a few events from other world championship matches tossed in for good measure.  On top of that, it won an Academy for Best Foreign Picture!  How often do chess movies do that?  (I'm not even sure if Seventh Seal won, but that's more an indictment of the Academy than anything.)  

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

Reply #11 - 09/15/05 at 05:14:41
Post Tools
Any opinions on the Luzhin film? Is it as good as the book? I've seen a couple of opinions on it at a swedish forum, where one guy loved it and another hated it...

Considering that Turturro plays the lead role, and he's an incredible actor imo, I find it hard to believe the film would be bad.

But maybe chessplayers are hypersensitive regarding films with chess? At least, there seems to be little agreement whether any film is good or bad - perhaps there's even a chessplayer who likes 'Knight Moves'???  Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo