Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Machines playing as humans on the ICS ? (Read 5801 times)
Lubo
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Re: Machines playing as humans on the ICS ?
Reply #15 - 10/10/05 at 07:29:21
Post Tools
@Bondefanger

who reads before writing his comment, has an advantage. This is not the ICC thread, I am not starting a discussion about humans cheating on ICC.

If you read carefully, you will see that I am writing about "ICS". Maybe this is in danish short for the Internet Chess club, but I was meaning the Internet Chess Servers. And my personal experience is from playchess.com, so this is really no attack against the ICC.

PS: if I have such a bad day, I listen to music of the eightees, it definitely calms down. Give it a try, Bondefanger  Grin

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #14 - 10/10/05 at 05:01:08
Post Tools
Quote:
What was that line from Buffalo Springfield?

"Paranoia runs deep,
Into your hearts it will creep...."

Yeah!

Or maybe it's just easier on the ego for some people to assume the opponent cheated in some way every time they lose...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bondefanger

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #13 - 10/10/05 at 04:09:42
Post Tools
@Lubo

Trying to revive your old thread, eh?
Have you got anything substantial this time, or is it more of the same nonsense?

IP Logged

castlerock
God Member

Erro Ergo Sum

Reply #12 - 10/10/05 at 00:05:35
Post Tools
@Lubo

There could be some logical explanations.

1) For starters ICC or playchess is an international community and your opponent need not know English. Check the finger notes.

2) Ten minutes is not necessarily a good enough time to respond.

3) Personally, I will be amused at such a paranoia and would like to tease the practioner further. I would like to respond to a simple "Hi GL" and not to the assumption of guilt in the beginning.

4) My son plays in freechess and playchess. Most of the time he doesn't respond to comments because he is conditioned to look at the chess board and not chat box. I'm sure there are many like him.

5) Only an impossibly mad person will let a computer log into the server on auto pilot and not call it a "C". I just don't see any incentive for anybody doing it.

Humans using computer.Yes. It's a problem in all servers. Machines running in auto pilot passing for human?  ???

I don't believe it.

CastleRock

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #11 - 10/09/05 at 20:59:04
Post Tools
What was that line from Buffalo Springfield?

"Paranoia runs deep,
Into your hearts it will creep...."

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #10 - 10/09/05 at 20:28:05
Post Tools
Quote:
@lost highway

yes, that happened to me on playchess.com too (on the one side really unfair, but on the other hand the servers have for sure good reasons to fear all those complications, if they e.g. consider the last 100 opponents of a cheater).

By the way: my idea is not completely new. I remember that somebody in some forum already mentionned the suspicion that many humans on ICC are in reality machines (while I play mainly on playchess.com and had there the same feeling). Not in the meaning, that they are trying to cheat, but in the meaning, that the chess server wants to make their members believe a higher amount of human players online.

That seems unlikely.  The server would need hundreds of fake players to make the site appear to be wildly popular.  A few fake players wouldn't be enough.  You would need hundreds.  With that many computers posing as humans, the server would undoubtedly be caught. 

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #9 - 10/09/05 at 19:56:12
Post Tools
I've been accused of being a computer or using a computer before.  There is no appropriate response to such an accusation unless I made a tactical blunder during the game that no computer would have made.  What do I usually say when someone accuses me?  Absolutely nothing.

I don't bother to play that person again, either.

IP Logged

Lubo
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #8 - 10/09/05 at 14:59:16
Post Tools
Yes, we need. They are completely different topics. The "ICC thread" complains about humans cheating on ICC. With this thread I want to state my impression that the internet chess servers themselves could be involved in some kind of manipulation.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #7 - 10/09/05 at 13:28:47
Post Tools
There's already a very long thread complaining about ICC.  Do we really need another one??

IP Logged

Lubo
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #6 - 10/09/05 at 13:23:52
Post Tools
@lost highway

yes, that happened to me on playchess.com too (on the one side really unfair, but on the other hand the servers have for sure good reasons to fear all those complications, if they e.g. consider the last 100 opponents of a cheater).

By the way: my idea is not completely new. I remember that somebody in some forum already mentionned the suspicion that many humans on ICC are in reality machines (while I play mainly on playchess.com and had there the same feeling). Not in the meaning, that they are trying to cheat, but in the meaning, that the chess server wants to make their members believe a higher amount of human players online.

IP Logged

Sacapawn

International Master

Reply #5 - 10/09/05 at 10:35:59
Post Tools
Take your opponent's hanging pieces and they might accuse you of using a chess engine. Happens quite often. But I will usually reply to that and re-matches are out of the question.

I have only had reason to suspect my opponents of cheating twice:

1) A rather mediocre player (I had played him before) who started to play very strong. Some weeks later he was forced to write in his finger notes that he had been cheating (I didn't report him cheating, someone else must have done that).

2) "Bobby Fischer", the guy who played 1.f3 2.Kf2 3.Kg3  or 1.-,f6 2.-,Kf7 3.-,Kg6 in bullet games as guest on ICC and beat several known GMs (Miles and Short etc.). Apart from playing extremely strong (it later turned out that he had been using a chess engine of course) he kept on chatting giving the impression he was indeed the great chess legend. Does anyone know who was behind this fake Bobby Fischer?

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #4 - 10/09/05 at 10:27:34
Post Tools
Well, a majority of my opponents wouldnt even engage in friendly coversations on Yahoo - which is totally opposite if I'm on the backgammon section. Why, 1 guy even said "you talk 2 much" & left the game when all I was doing was pointing out his blunders & offering him  take backs. So much for being helpful Tongue.  Admittedly thre were also many who just replied 'no spik English' or its varients.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

lost highway

I may be crazy.

Reply #3 - 10/09/05 at 09:56:14
Post Tools
Since I don't play for money on the playchess server, it doesn't bother me if someone uses chess software or reads from a book while they are playing.  I only want to see good moves, and I don't care where they come from.

One interesting defect on playchess that has happened to me is when someone "cheats" against me, as reported in red letters on the playchess screen ("so-and-so has cheated in his game against Lost Highway by using chess software - his rating has been deleted"), my rating loss is not reversed.  It appears that playchess can acknowledge that you have been the victim of a cheater, will kick the cheater out, but cannot(?) restore the rating points that the victim lost. Lubo, has that happened to you?  It doesn't bother me, but it sounds like it would be something that would get you angry.

- Lost Highway

IP Logged

Lubo
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #2 - 10/09/05 at 09:42:26
Post Tools
@Bonsai
thanks for your answer. If this would happen sometimes, I would not mention it. But it happened to be the usual reaction in so many games. 95 % of opponents ignoring my words? Not everybody can be so phlegmatic, I dont believe it.

IP Logged

Bonsai
God Member

Reply #1 - 10/09/05 at 09:31:46
Post Tools
Maybe human opponents just feel that you are trying to provoke/insult them and make a point of ignoring you. And maybe they then think there's easy points to be gained, so they request a re-match?!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo