Latest Updates:
Normal Topic C00-C19: Pedersen's new books (Read 3783 times)
Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Re: Pedersen's new books
Reply #9 - 02/16/06 at 10:44:32
Post Tools
I also wonder about the usage of Frtiz9/Hiarcs10/etc... on powerful comps in a number of books. Once you checked the lines proposed in certain obscure variations, it is normal to check with them if your own judgement is telling you that the suggested moves are somewhat dubious.

Some good books have these programs disagreeing until the final move given. Some others suggest a few moves but the evaluations of (myself in my case) and the programs are bad all the way. So what to make of all that?

I've seen varitions where that occurs to Pederssen. So where the lines comp checked?

Of course I have no probs with -ve comp evaluation if the position is offering clear comp for the human eye... (although of course it varies from human to human..)

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

TomR

Reply #8 - 02/15/06 at 16:51:52
Post Tools
For French theory you can't beat Psakhis (backed up by chesspub of course!)

Looked at some critical lines in Pedersen's books and there seemed to be little new, sorry Pedersen!

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #7 - 01/27/06 at 16:32:31
Post Tools
Thanks! Seems like I can skip it then...  Smiley

IP Logged

Martin Carpenter(Guest)

Reply #6 - 01/27/06 at 14:28:17
Post Tools
After 2 b3 he gives a shortish main line with iirc 2 .. b6 3 Bb2 Bb7 4 Qe2 etc (and a brief mention of whites other fourth moves). 2 .. d5 gets some coverage in sidenotes.

To be fair he's got a lot of stuff to fit into the book.

He does take the wing gambit fairly seriously.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #5 - 01/27/06 at 12:58:24
Post Tools
How does Pedersen deal with 2.b3, is it the usual short game fragments ending with an '=' or does he take it seriously?

IP Logged

Strptzr

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #4 - 01/25/06 at 14:55:55
Post Tools
I bought the Advance&C° book which is basically an odds&ends volume. But that was what I needed it for, so...

IP Logged

Gueler

Reply #3 - 01/25/06 at 14:48:52
Post Tools
I have the Perdersen books as well as the Psakhis books. I agree that the Pedersen books have a much better layout and it is easier to read them.

However, I still prefer the Psakhis books, since they have much more detail. There is some material, especially in the Tarrasch, which is not mentioned by Perdersen. For example, I am playing Nf6 against the Tarrasch and in the variation with

e5 Nfd7
c3 c5
Bd3 Nc6
Ne2 f6
ef6 Nf6
Nf3 Qc7
0-0 Bd6
Bg5 0-0
Rc1

a couple of continuations are not listed.

I agree that this is already very detailed. So I guess it depends what you are looking for. In my opinion, if you already have the Psakhis books, don't bother buying the Pedersen books. I don't think that you will get enough "extra" for your money. If you have neither, it depends... detailed analysis versus nice layout .... in my opinion.

These are my two cents.

I hope this helps

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

Reply #2 - 01/25/06 at 11:13:35
Post Tools
Thanks for that.

I mostly play the Advance.  Is there anything new here?

IP Logged

Martin Carpenter(Guest)

Reply #1 - 01/25/06 at 10:30:28
Post Tools
I have - they seem reasonable. The big thing they have over the Psakhis books is the layout which is (not difficult this!) a *lot* better. So they'd make better books to learn from. I haven't done a detailed comparison of the actual content but there doesn't seem to be anything obviously missing.

His coverage of the KID lines is (as he says in the book) more of a black repitoire than anything else. So in a reverse of the normal french book style he treats some lines with c5 (& g6 & d5/e5 to follow) instead of declaring them to be Sicillians and ignoring them while not treating so many of the early d5 ideas.
But I don't think any French book covers all of the options here well (there are basically far too many of them compared to their importance Smiley).

IP Logged

The King

Give me convenience or
give me death

C00-C19: Pedersen's new books
01/25/06 at 09:35:16
Post Tools
Has anyone got Pedersen's new books on the Tarrasch and Advance French?

Just wondering what they are like

Thanks
« Last Edit: 08/02/11 at 19:51:23 by dom »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo