Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Simple openings (Read 2737 times)
grayson
Ex Member

Re: Simple openings
Reply #4 - 05/02/06 at 15:44:34
Post Tools
I also play Markovich's suggetsions and have been very happy with the scotch, classical lopez and the tarrasch.

IP Logged

topher(Guest)

Reply #3 - 03/30/06 at 02:13:36
Post Tools
Thank you both for your suggestions. With all due respect and appreciation, I think I will adopt the Scotch 4 knights as I already play the classical Lopez which is one of Markovich's recommendations (thanks for that).  Then against d4 I play the grunfeld or tarrasch (anothe Markovich recommendation, I believe) depending on white.  Thanks again for your suggestions and book recommendations.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #2 - 03/29/06 at 21:33:59
Post Tools
Quote:
I'm looking for a simple opening as white. I'm currently considering the Spanish 4-knights (1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 Nc6, 3. Nc3 Nf6, 4. Bb5) scotch 4-knights (1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 Nc6, 3. Nc3 Nf6, 4. d4 exd4, 5.Nxd4)  or the belgrade gambit ((1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 Nc6, 3. Nc3 Nf6, 4. d4 exd4, 5.Nd5). I'm looking for something simple with minimal theory to study, something that will develop my pieces without giving me any weaknesses and get me into a playable middlegame.  I like to attack and trade material (hopefully causing weaknesses such as isolated or doubled pawns) in order to head for endgames.  Does anyone have any opinions which opening would be best?  Or any other suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

I respectfully disagree with the previous post.  I think that any of these openings would be just fine for you.  There is a good book by Jan Pinski that addresses them all.  You should never expect to get by with NO study, of course; chess is chess.  If you like open positions, I do think that either the Belgrade or the Scotch 4 Knights would be better than the "Spanish" Four Knights.  Since you like to head for endgames, the Scotch 4 Knights would probably be most suitable for you.  Heading for the endgame where Black has somewhat worse pawns, for example a double isolani on f7, f6, is one of the key themes of that system.   There are a number of lines where Black allows that and Pinski claims = based on Black's two bishops; but personally, I think White has good chances in many of these positions.  Even without the doubling of Black's pawns on f6, Black already has 3 pawn islands to White's 2.  You do also have to be ready to launch a kingside attack with pieces, however; for example, one of White's themes is (sometimes) to react to ...h6 with Bxh6 and then play for mate.

The latest 1. e4 e5 update has some good material on 4. d4 Bb4, and more is coming next time.  So by all means, get Pinski's book and take up the Scotch 4 Knights.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

woofwoof
God Member

chess is like life

Reply #1 - 03/29/06 at 20:52:37
Post Tools
So you want a simple opening that allows you to attack huh? Well nothing really wrong per se with your choices so far. They are respectable openings, but the trouble with things like the 4 kts is that they lead to almost symmetrical positions. In such positions it is very hard to really play for dashing attacks (if that is what you are looking for) as balanced positions have very little tension or imbalances. So the tendency is to lead to long drawn out positional moves and try to squeeze something out of it in an ending. Either that or it leads to fairly drawish positions. But i suppose with some imagination you might be able to create some imbalances around too in the 4 kts, tho i still doubt that you would attain the same kind of piece activity or attacking scope as say in the evans or KG..

In my opinion anyway (of course the others would have their own recommendations), i would play things like the Evans or KG. You would notice that piece developmnt is very rapid and plenty of scope to play for an attack. The best part is they also have quite a fair bit of strategic scope. So you can practice both your tactical and poitional stuff whilst playing these. These are also easy to learn as far as getting the main ideas and themes are concerned, and being not so often played, you can be rest assured that development of theory is not so rapid like say the Lopez or Sicilian etc. The main line for the openings which ive recommended also does not go all the way to move 20 or some middle of a middlegame position as other popular openings.

Just my 2c.

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." - Murray Walker

IP Logged

topher(Guest)

Simple openings
03/29/06 at 20:16:08
Post Tools
I'm looking for a simple opening as white. I'm currently considering the Spanish 4-knights (1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 Nc6, 3. Nc3 Nf6, 4. Bb5) scotch 4-knights (1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 Nc6, 3. Nc3 Nf6, 4. d4 exd4, 5.Nxd4)  or the belgrade gambit ((1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 Nc6, 3. Nc3 Nf6, 4. d4 exd4, 5.Nd5). I'm looking for something simple with minimal theory to study, something that will develop my pieces without giving me any weaknesses and get me into a playable middlegame.  I like to attack and trade material (hopefully causing weaknesses such as isolated or doubled pawns) in order to head for endgames.  Does anyone have any opinions which opening would be best?  Or any other suggestions?

Thanks for any input.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo