Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Semi-Slav question.... (Read 1480 times)
lnn2
God Member

Re: Semi-Slav question....
Reply #1 - 10/01/06 at 11:44:17
Post Tools
Hello and welcome to the forums. you can see the other thread "Beating the Semi-Slav", and try not to start new threads when there are existing ones. 5. Bg5 h6 6. Bh4! dc4 7. e4 g5 8. Bg3 b5 is the Anti-Moscow, slightly less perilous for Black than the Botvinnik, but he cannot relax too. I play 5. Bg5, which is the best move on the board (the most natural moves are always best). But it takes good prep to play. Recently White has found some small refinements in various old Meran 5. e3 Nbd7 6. Bd3 lines to make life slightly uncomfortable for Black, which explains Topalov's choice of 5.e3/6. Bd3 against Kramnik in WC match, and also popularity of 5... a6. I recommend you to see games Dreev-Bareev RusCh05, Bareev-Karjakin Beersheva05 and Sasikiran-Karjakin04 for the type of edge White is looking for in the old Meran.

IP Logged

Jenny
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Semi-Slav question....
10/01/06 at 10:45:17
Post Tools
Hi everyone. I would like to know which line currently gives black the most trouble in the Semi-Slav? The Botvinnik is wild and complicated but black can avoid it with h6. The Meran doesn't seem to trouble black too much as far as I know at the moment. With correct and solid play by black, the Shabalov also does not pose too much of a problem for black. I am not too sure about the Qc2 variation.

So does anybody have any ideas or experiences they would like to share about this?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo