Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very soon (Read 47499 times)
LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: "Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very so
Reply #45 - 04/03/08 at 01:58:02
Post Tools
My database has this effort by Komljenovic:

Komljenovic-Agopov, Villa de Benasque 19th op, 1999
1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 e6 5. Bg5 dxc4 6. e4 b5 7. e5 h6 8. Bh4 g5 9. Nxg5 hxg5 10. Bxg5 Nbd7 11. g3 Bb7 12. Bg2 Qb6 13. exf6 c5 14. d5 O-O-O 15. O-O b4 16. Rb1 Qa6 17. Re1 Nb6 18. Qg4 Nxd5 19. Nxd5 Bxd5 20. Bxd5 Rxd5 21. a3 Rd4 22. Re4 Qc6 23. Rxd4 cxd4 24. axb4 Bxb4 25. Qxd4 Bc5 26. Qf4 Rd8 27. Qg4 Kb7 28. Qh5 Rd7 29. Rd1 Bd4 30. Qe2 e5 31. h4 Rd5 32. Rc1 Rc5 33. Be3 Kb6 34. h5 Bxe3 35. Qxe3 Kb5 36. Ra1 a5 37. Qa3 Kb6 38. b4 Rb5 39. bxa5+ Ka6 40. Qc3 Rc5 41. Rb1 Rxa5 42. h6 Rb5 43. Ra1+ Kb6 44. Qa3 1-0

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Re: "Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very soon
Reply #44 - 04/02/08 at 20:06:38
Post Tools
I should also add that almost every chess book (and I buy 100's EVERY YEAR) is an incredible effort on part of the author and gets paid very little for all that work - but still. The market is not that big, and there is not going to be a JK Rawling author here.

And I should also add that we may need less analysis (there is Fritz, databases and lack of memory at the board anyway!) and more strategic explanation of overall plans and moves a la Marin or other authors!

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #43 - 04/02/08 at 19:59:33
Post Tools
Ok. I believe that before getting involved in a piece of analysis I have no chance of remembering (bad enough with the grunfeld) I would need some answers for the main line. (16.Na4) 16.Rb1, as I remember, was a draw and now there is Yermolinsky's 19.Qd5 to worry about ---> your words

Surely you remember / can read/ your own comments on page 89/90

"The main variations of 16.Na4 are very dangerous....White has several dangerous moves...The simple 21.Nc5 probably gives white an objective advantage"

May be Watson with his 'Play the French exchange and win (with black, of course)' all variations ending with slight to black  Wink and Ward's enthus coverage of the Dragon are far to one-sided, but the final comments..

"The main line 16.Na4 is a threat to the viability of the Botvinnik variation" hmmm... (page 94)

As for your other remarks, I may have declined in OTB strength, but have still sufficient brain cells that to note the top players are using the Moscow, not the botvinnik.

I could agree is all my fault of not understanding the defence - Edwards Dearing work on the Grunfeld was excellent in my view since it was just a nice uptodate analysis of almost all my knowledge there with my manual updates in Chessbase all placed together in a nice book, and here I just lack the knowledge. But I did understand better Wells book, and that of Sadler...

The intention being to present a repertoire book, I would have preferred a more profound analysis of the endings of game 1 - they look to me as slightly better for white since black is still catching up in development... although I can perfectly well see why at some 26xx level they present no difficult task for black...

To Justin Horton: Benasque games don't get published policy of the organiser after 2000. Before nice Bulletins were published...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

ANDREW BRETT
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #42 - 04/02/08 at 16:38:30
Post Tools
I think that the book is a good effort by Fluffy, although the Moscow already looks a little bit dated due to the efforts of Anand, Kramnik, Carlsen and Aronian in recent games no doubt played after the book was sent to the publishers. Any plans for an update via pdf Dave ?

I think 9 a3 is a little bit odd to use the Topalov v Kramnik Elista game when Kramik improved against Gelfand at Mexico. Those who watch Amber will have seen Vishy Anand play an amazing game v Gelfand in the Semi Slav (Ba1 !!).

I think that 8... Bd6 v the meran remains a strong alternative to Bb7 and would have been good to have coverage on this. I appreciate that as a repertoire book you can't have everything.

I am surprised that Fluffy avoided the main line in Qc2 Bd6 Karpov style line - . I think there are stronger lines than the Bb4 stuff v the Shirov attack but it is a pretty sound system.

I don't know what happened at the printers but there are a few more spelling errors than I would have expected, I am sure Fluffy knows where these gremlins are.

On the Qb3 line in the Moscow - I am surprised Svidler's brilliant win was not included. Also Ward in his chapter in Dangerous Weapons think that the qe3 line v a5 gives white an edge and that you can avoid this book's coverage via a different move order. I do not know who is right but both book's are quoting the same game in the notes !

I think Fluffy has put more effort into the main line in Bg5 Botvinnink- I would have liked Qa5 covered as well. I agree that Qc7 is no good but Qa5 is picking up in popularity and Stellwagen is using this. You can't have total coverage !

Overall, I think the book scores high marks for clarity but in the Semi-Slav there is no substitute for analyis and I am sure that the forthcoming Kramnik-Anand match will test this opening to the hilt.

IP Logged

Edward Dearing
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #41 - 04/02/08 at 16:16:34
Post Tools
Yes, but only by transposition. I don't think 17...Bd6 is mentioned.

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #40 - 04/02/08 at 16:09:37
Post Tools
IMRichardPalliser wrote on 04/02/08 at 15:01:46:
Do you know if the games make it on to any Spanish websites, or just aren't entered in at all please?.

I don't know, but they don't appear on the relevant section of the Aragón Chess Federation site, so my guess is that they don't get collated.

Benasque this year 3-12 July, all welcome....

(PS - is the 17.Re1 line referred to, the one played here?)

IP Logged

Edward Dearing
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 04/02/08 at 15:27:14
Post Tools

Fernando Semprun wrote on 03/31/08 at 19:25:44:
I had high hopes on the book but I believe that:

1) On the main line, nothing new of interest to black has been added
2) Some plausible lines are not mentioned (11...Qa5) or the newish 12...Qc7 just dismissed (perhaps rightly so; but then, what's this book: Play the Semi-slav and loose?)
3) The proposed alternative, the Moscow variation leaves me wandering (is this really better than the Slav?) AND white get's to choose: boring Moscow or trendy Anti Moscow gambit (loads of work again).

SO perhaps it is Cambridge Springs and Meran (This is more fun AND black has a choice of lines). But then, Vera's book plus the Cambridge Springs book (not that they are really enthus about it) would have done!

4) On the 16.Rb1 line, the dangerous 17.Re1 is unmentioned. I watched Komljenovic destroy black en-route to winning Benasque open.

------------------

Sorry Fernando, I'm with Fluffy on this one:

1) not sure we are reading the same book. Looks like there are plenty of new ideas to me, and in any case the book is useful as a thorough and comprehensive survey of an opening that is incredibly difficult to get a handle on. Even without any new analysis this would be a useful reference work (for me anyway!);

2) no point covering these lines - they pick up the occasional point but they are widely considered to be inferior for black (although granted they remain tricky - especially 12...Qc7!? - for the unprepared);

3) the Semi-Slav is just a different opening, but on balance it probably does offer better winning chances than the Slav proper, if only because it keeps the tension for longer. The Moscow Gambit became popular when White was struggling to prove anything in the Moscow mainlines. The Gambit system is totally unclear, but White has to take some serious risks to generate play, which sounds like a good reason to be on the black side of it (I play Moscow and Anti-Moscow Gambit with both colours, and I like being on either side of the board - the better player tends to prevail).

4) 17.Re1 is a surprising omission, but then again 17..bxc3 is known to be fine for black. After 18.dxe6 Bxg2 we transpose to one of the mainlines which is in fact covered on page 66 of the book. A useful transposition to be aware of, but in fact the line is well-covered all the same.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Eddie

IP Logged

IMRichardPalliser

Reply #38 - 04/02/08 at 15:01:46
Post Tools
Do you know if the games make it on to any Spanish websites, or just aren't entered in at all please?

Haven't studied all of Fluffy's work yet, but have been impressed by the coverage of both 16 Rb1 and 16 Na4 in the main line Botters.

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #37 - 04/02/08 at 13:36:15
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 03/31/08 at 21:09:37:
4) On the 16.Rb1 line, the dangerous 17.Re1 is unmentioned. I watched Komljenovic destroy black en-route to winning Benasque open.

4) I have never seen this move actually, though I doubt it is the end of the world. perhaps the Cambridge Springs is indeed for you!

Yeah, Benasque games don't seem to make it into databases. I'm not sure why.

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #36 - 04/01/08 at 07:06:59
Post Tools
So: enormous study time for little answers in main line...

I think we dont need answers but to ask the right questions. Of course the proof of the book is if it gives playable lines against Bg5-variations. David V. therefore offers two plausible ways - Moscow and Botwinnik. The key question now is: Is the Moscow / Botwinnik refuted. I tried to answer this question with the book and the answer has to be: NO! David shows interesting ways to keep on searching and working on the lines - he was a bit unlucky with the developments int the Moscow shortly before the book came out (12.Nf7 Topalov) but thats life. Every book is just a flash in the moment of chess opening evolution - it doesnt make the evolution itself. The players are doing the evolution - they are picking up variations and test them, they work at home with their silicon grandmasters to improve on books and games. David V. book shows a serious insight in the evolution of the Semislav at the beginning of 2008 - if you read the book in 2010, well we dont know...
Even Garry Kasparov says on his Queensgambit-DVD that its all up to the players to work out the variations or to find little improvements, which may net a point here and there. With modern computers in background it would be arrogant of every author to claim his book gives a final conclusion.

What the book did to me personally: I stopped playing the Botvinnik some years ago (with black) but after reading the chapter in "Play the Semi-Slav" I am on the edge to start playing the variation again. And I feel updated in the Meran and Latvian V. which I also had not looked at for years.

I think its high time for everyone to give up the consuming attidute: "I buy this book - it tells me everything - I win everything" but to live the working attidute: "I get this book - it will be a nice starting point - I will work on this opening variations and see what happens OTB".

regards
Matemax

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #35 - 03/31/08 at 19:28:15
Post Tools
I believe New in Chess is cheaper than TWIC. I usually buy from them because my local store in Madrid might take ages to receive the books (why, I wonder), even though no shipping plus 10% discount!

NIC is cheaper re shipping costs, of course

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #34 - 03/31/08 at 19:25:44
Post Tools

1) On the main line, nothing new of interest to black has been added
2) Some plausible lines are not mentioned (11...Qa5) or the newish 12...Qc7 just dismissed (perhaps rightly so; but then, what's this book: Play the Semi-slav and loose?)
3) The proposed alternative, the Moscow variation leaves me wandering (is this really better than the Slav?) AND white get's to choose: boring Moscow or trendy Anti Moscow gambit (loads of work again).

SO perhaps it is Cambridge Springs and Meran (This is more fun AND black has a choice of lines). But then, Vera's book plus the Cambridge Springs book (not that they are really enthus about it) would have done!

So: enormous study time for little answers in main line...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

fluffy

International Master

Reply #33 - 03/24/08 at 16:12:59
Post Tools
Quote:
after d4 d5 c4 c6 Nc3 Nf6 Bg5 e6
White can play e3, and has placed the bishop on g5 without risking to get into the moscow or botwinnik, isn't this just really good for white?

Shouldn't black play dxc4 after Bg5?

there is no need to dwell on lines like this. Black should play 4...dxc4, as any old book will say. forgive me for not covering something that has been covered many times before and is not the least bit critical. get the book for coverage of the Semi-Slav (and Slav!), not for 4.Bg5?!

IP Logged

battleangel
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 03/24/08 at 14:57:54
Post Tools
after d4 d5 c4 c6 Nc3 Nf6 Bg5 e6
White can play e3, and has placed the bishop on g5 without risking to get into the moscow or botwinnik, isn't this just really good for white?

Shouldn't black play dxc4 after Bg5?

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #31 - 03/24/08 at 14:36:46
Post Tools
Amazon now shipping.  I got my copy a few days ago.  I haven't been able to put much time into yet, but so far it looks impressive.  I looked at a couple of lines I play (as White!) and the coverage seems thorough and generally spot on.  

One thing that stands out for me is that the book pays attention to the prior literature and let's you know what is still holding up and what isn't.  This is much appreciated for someone like me who hasn't kept up with all of the lines.  It's also an honest book.  Vigorito tells you straight up when a line is difficult for Black or in trouble, and doesn't try to sugar coat it.  

This is a big book on a big opening.  There's plenty here that you won't find in your database, including relevant corresp. games, original analysis and suggestions.  The author even goes to the trouble of showing why Sadler's Kc7 in the Na4 Botvinnik never caught on.  (Although he could have saved himself some work, as there is a little known game from an internet simul where Shirov smashed this idea.)    

Anyway, just some first impressions . . .

Lee Roth

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo