Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) "Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very soon (Read 47498 times)
Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Re: "Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very so
Reply #60 - 04/04/08 at 11:35:05
Post Tools
Cry Cry Cry

Edward Dearing's fantastic dragon book got a FEROCIOUS attack from Tivjakov and very publicly in NEW in CHESS. His next book, the one on the grunfeld was also of very high quality. The other one I also bought, I was not so convinced about the Qf5 stuff (played it in correspondence and got boring - for me - positions). All in all - excellent books.

So I said so here in the appropiate thread. If I don't like a book (and that's subjective) I said so.

In this case, I didn´t even say I didnot like it, I said I had high hopes and was dissapointed. Wow! Big deal. It is clear that the (Spanish)  Wink Inquisition is what I deserve!

The worst thing about Tivjakov's critic was that it was done shortly after publication, so I expect it put a lot of people off (Tivjakov is -of course- a renowned expert). Seriously, I doubt very much I have put anyone off.

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: "Play the Semi-Slav" will be out very soon
Reply #59 - 04/04/08 at 11:27:19
Post Tools
Well having read it my humble impression was that it is certainly a rather good book and extremely brave to tackle such a daunting subject.

Still I can understand Fernando's reservations. I did get the impression from the book that the Author really wanted the Botvinnik to work but wasn't quite convinced that it did so objectively.

This impression may have partially been done to the style which is (commendably!) rather more objective than is often seen in repitoire books....

Still the Botvinnik chapters seemed to get a bit more love than the (perfectly good) Moscow ones.

Of course this didn't make the book any less interesting to read from a semi neutral viewpoint - it contains a lot of seriously fun chess Smiley

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #58 - 04/04/08 at 11:22:34
Post Tools
Oh, well, the main organiser, Miguel Perez Royo. Assumed you must know him, he is behind the whole thing and in charge of the Federacion Aragonesa. I seem to recall you live in Aragon (we had a short conversation prior to a round)

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

lnn2
God Member

Reply #57 - 04/04/08 at 08:22:41
Post Tools
Any comments on this game?

[Event "TCh-RUS"]
[Site "Dagomys RUS"]
[Date "2008.04.03"]
[Round "2"]
[White "Inarkiev,E"]
[Black "Shomoev,A"]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "2684"]
[BlackElo "2559"]
[EventDate "2008.04.02"]
[ECO "D44"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. Nc3 e6 5. Bg5 dxc4 6. e4 b5 7. e5 h6 8. Bh4
g5 9. Nxg5 hxg5 10. Bxg5 Nbd7 11. g3 Bb7 12. Bg2 Qb6 13. exf6 O-O-O 14. O-O
c5 15. d5 b4 16. Rb1 Qa6 17. dxe6 Bxg2 18. e7 Bxf1 19. Qd5 Bxe7 20. fxe7
Rdg8 21. Ne4 Bd3 22. Nd6+ Kc7 23. Bf4 Kb6 24. Re1 Nf6 25. Qxf7 Ne4 26. Nxe4
Bxe4 27. Rxe4 Qc8 28. Qxc4 Rg6 29. Be3 a5 30. Qxc5+ Qxc5 31. e8=Q 1-0

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #56 - 04/04/08 at 07:45:26
Post Tools
Fernando Semprun wrote on 04/03/08 at 13:35:55:
Justinhorton wrote on 04/03/08 at 06:41:29:
Fernando Semprun wrote on 04/02/08 at 19:59:33:
To Justin Horton: Benasque games don't get published policy of the organiser after 2000. Before nice Bulletins were published...

Fernando - that's interesting. Do you know why they took that decision?

Well, he is just difficult. He also wanted to reduce thinking time to 120 min (entire game) and even 90 min, I pointed out that to play benasque one normally takes 10 days from work, travels there and is there basically for the chess game. He just said that organisers could not make it for dinner at the Gran Hotel (which is untrue). So for me it is a pity because before one could watch fantastic GM games when they still had time to think. Now (as you know) one can just about see the time scramble.

The only thing that saved us (I still prefer the 2hr + 1hr) was that results would not count for GM or IM norms. Other wise  Cry

Heh. I'm not sure exactly who you're talking about though - who's "he"?

(Funnily enough, if they'd had shorter time controls two years ago I'd probably have managed to watch the World Cup Final instead of losing a drawn ending to Komljenovic. Well , what I mean is, I'd still have lost it, but more quickly...)

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 04/04/08 at 01:18:20
Post Tools
Here's my review of the book for our club website at http://www.btinternet.com/~cccs.chess/review1.htm

Play the Semi-Slav, by David Vigorito, Quality Chess, (http://www.qualitychessbooks.com), 277 large pages £16.99

The American IM David Vigorito (born 1970) has a reputation in his native land both for having an excellent grasp of opening theory and being able to put this across clearly. For the last few years he has been a popular lecturer at http://www.chesslecture.com, but it is only recently that he has started writing openings books. His first effort, Challenging the Nimzo Indian (Quality Chess) was a complete repertoire for White against the Nimzo, based on 4 Qc2, and was excellent. Now he has produced a detailed study of the popular Semi-Slav. This defence forms an important part of the author’s own repertoire, which is always a good omen for an opening book.

For many years now, the Semi-Slav has been in the repertoires of many of the World’s strongest players. This defence is something of a paradox. Black declines the Queen’s Gambit, refuses the opportunity to develop his queen’s bishop outside the pawn chain (= the Slav) and sets up a passive-looking pawn triangle. Yet this can lead to some of the sharpest and most deeply analyzed variations in the whole of chess theory! How can this be?

Let us examine the typical sequence 1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6 3 Nf3 Nf6 4 Nc3; here Black can prepare to develop his Bc8 with either 4…dxc4 or 4…a6 (but NOT 4…Bf5? because of 5 cxd5 cxd5 6 Qb3!); if instead Black plays 4…e6 we have the Semi-Slav.

Now we have a parting of the ways. It is important to realize that at this point Black is ready to take on c4 and then hang on to his acquisition with …b5, so White has to decide whether to allow this or not.

If White protects the c4 pawn with 5 e3, then both sides have a blocked-in bishop, but White has the more aggressive stance in the centre and has the simple plan of expansion with Bd3 and e4; against passive play by Black this will give White some advantage.
In the 1920s, the great Akiva Rubinstein demonstrated that Black can respond actively with 5…Nbd7 6 Bd3 dxc4 7 Bxc4 b5, granting White a mobile central pawn majority in return for space and activity on the queenside and the chance to develop the passive Bc8 on the long diagonal a8-h1. The bishop will be great on b7 if, and only if, the c6 pawn can be safely advanced to c5 in the next few moves; if not, the bishop will remain bad and the c6-pawn will be left backward and exposed on a semi-open file; there are two consequences: a) the b5 pawn needs either protecting or advancing, to permit …c5 without losing the b-pawn, and b) control of the c5 square can be very important. Meanwhile White has the obvious plan of advancing in the centre with e4, when both sides must consider the consequences of further white advances in the form of e5 or d5.

Thus it can be seen that this “Meran” variation of Rubinstein’s is likely to lead to a complex and dynamic struggle in which both sides have their trumps. In recent years there has been an understandable growth of interest in declining the challenge of the Meran by playing the flexible 6 Qc2; after the usual 6…Bd6, White can follow up positionally or with the aggressive modern gambit 7 g4!?.

The main alternative to 5 e3 is to press on with natural development by playing 5 Bg5. At this point, if Black simple unpins with 5…Be7, we have reached an Orthodox Queen’s Gambit Declined in which Black has played …c6 somewhat prematurely. This is regarded as rather passive for Black, but it is probably better than its reputation. Alternatively Black can transpose to the Cambridge Springs defence with 5…Nbd7. Neither of the above is covered in the present book, which focuses on the two principal continuations:
a)      5…dxc4, grabbing the pawn and intending to hang on to it after 6 e4 b5, when play typically continues 7 e5 h6 with great complications. This is known as the Botvinnik variation; although Botvinnik was not the first to play it, it was his games in the early 1940s against Lilienthal, Mikenas and (especially) Denker that popularized this line.
b)      5…h6, probing the intentions of the bishop before taking any committal action in the centre. This is known as the Moscow Variation. Now White can play the relatively quiet 6 Bxf6, conceding the bishop pair in return for an advantage in development, or he can tempt Black into the murky waters of the Anti-Moscow Gambit with 6 Bh4 dxc4 7 e4 g5 8 Bg3 b5; Black wins a pawn in this line but has structural weaknesses, and possible long-term problems with king safety.

It is worth noting that once Black has played …e6, and especially when he has played …Nbd7, he will generally answer an exchange on d5 with …exd5, when a type of Orthodox Queen’s Gambit Exchange (a.k.a. Carlsbad) variation is reached, but one in which it is hard for White to prove any real advantage, because he has committed his knight so early to f3.

Vigorito devotes most of the book to these four main lines: the Meran, the 6 Qc2 line, the Botvinnik and the Moscow/Anti-Moscow. But since this a repertoire book for Black, he also deals with (as far as I can tell) all White’s playable deviations, with special attention to the Slav Exchange variation, since he recommends heading for the Semi-Slav via the Slav route 1 d4 d5 2 c4 c6, when if White exchanges on d5 at any point before Black plays …e6, Black will have to recapture with the c-pawn, producing the symmetrical, and therefore potentially drawish, Slav Exchange structure. Vigorito argues that Black should not fear this: “There are still 30 pieces left on the board, so there is still some fight ahead.”

The five-page introduction is particularly instructive and includes a discussion of the important issue of move orders. The analysis in the main chapters is copious and perhaps a bit intimidating, but there is a lot of very clear verbal guidance, including a useful “Conclusions” section, summarising the essence of each section and finally the chapter as a whole. There is a six-page index of variations and a list of the fifty complete games. There is a bibliography, including a useful indication of the cut-off point for the author’s research in the best known sources such as Chess Informant, New in Chess Yearbook and The Week In Chess.

You can find out more about the author and play through three of his own games with brief notes at http://tinyurl.com/35zcmr

Verdict: Another seriously good repertoire book from David Vigorito and Quality Chess. Highly recommended. *****

IP Logged

Phil Adams

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 04/04/08 at 01:16:01
Post Tools
Some of the comments in this thread are getting picky and unhelpful. A great post yesterday in the French forum seems relevant here:

TopNotch wrote on 04/03/08 at 00:41:52:
Psakhis filled 282 pages on the Tarrasch alone replete with explanations and guidelines for both sides. Plenty of meat there and then some, even so that work was far from  perfect and had important omissions and faulty assessments in places. Its all the faulty stuff that helps make chess fun, we buy the books, flesh out the mistaken analysis and wait with glee for lazy unsuspecting opponents who unquestioningly follow book lines as if they were the lost scrolls ordained by God.    

As has been said many times on this forum already, writing an excellent Opening book these days is a thankless near impossible task, the flow of information is simply moving too fast for the print media to keep up. I suppose the future of Opening books rests with some sort of maintenance electronic subscription service, dedicated to updating the lines given in this or that book, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that, besides, that would ignore the fact most Opening analysis has an unwritten sell/use by date.

I actually prefer the old fashioned way, where you roll up your sleeves, put your nose to the grind stone and fill in the blanks yourself. Truth be told in many cases the answers we seek, the authors of the books don't always have, we simply have to wait for the praxis to illuminate us or create the praxis ourselves.

In some ways Opening analysis can be compared to a beautiful rose, which smells sweet and intoxicating when its fresh but all too soon  withers and dies.

Topster Smiley

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #53 - 04/03/08 at 20:48:06
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 04/03/08 at 19:48:26:
"Would you consider that perhaps too much space was allocated to the Botvinnik even though it appears theoretically suspect?"

you are really trying to bait me. I thought it may be somewhat productive to contribute to this forum - answering questions before the book came out, etc. But I can't pelase everyone.

This is a bit OTT. If you want to contribute to the forum, contribute away; if you don't, don't. Don't do us any favours.

Seems not everyone likes your book. Goes with the territory.
If you like, console yourself that you're in good company:
http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/reviews/lone_star_statements.php

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 04/03/08 at 20:27:08
Post Tools
Hello David:

Just wondering if you do much on the Qc2 followed by b3 lines. I realize after Qc2 White can also move his light B but I am just trying to play Qc2 and b3 for now.

Maybe you could also help someone like me who is not great in openings and explain why Black seems to get a lot of active play in the Semi-Slav (I guess in the Qc2/Karpov System anyways). Initially the structure is like a fortress and then all of a sudden Black seems to explode. Seems he gets a lot in these lines w/o risking too much.

If you think my question is too basic, I will understand.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #51 - 04/03/08 at 19:42:30
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 04/03/08 at 14:12:25:
Fernando, I call you a smartass because you ask me if I remember my own words. The Botvinnik is not for everyone (nor is the Semi-Slav), which is why the Moscow is covered. You question why there is not coverage of ...Qc7 and ...Qa5 lines - I consider those lines unplayable. I am open to criticisms, but I do not think you've said anything productive. Perhaps you should write Beating the Semi-Slav!

Well, not really. I agree entirely that the Moscow is the main option, but I find it slightly dull. In fact, reading your words, I had another look at the 4...a6 slav, which I found pretty interesting.

Would you consider that perhaps too much space was allocated to the Botvinnik even though it appears theoretically suspect?

and HONESTLY I do not remember all my words...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #50 - 04/03/08 at 13:57:04
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 04/03/08 at 01:58:02:
My database has this effort by Komljenovic:

Komljenovic-Agopov, Villa de Benasque 19th op, 1999

That was the game. I remember Komljenovic pretending in the post mortem he just didnot know any theory  Smiley  Huh and it was later published by Leontxo in Jaque, concluding it was pretty dangerous.

Since I do not play the line with either colour, I did not follow any further developments...

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #49 - 04/03/08 at 13:54:14
Post Tools
fluffy wrote on 04/03/08 at 13:07:55:
Fernando

...smartass

You actually have to do some work yourself, not matter how good any book or database is.

david (since you call me Fernando amongst other niceties)

My words may be unjust, untrue or whatever.

I did buy your book, don't think have called you anything.

I expressed an opinion (if I may). You can take offence or may be try to see my point of view. You learn both ways, actually.

For work in the opening, there are a couple of my games in database against Renier Vazquez 25xx, B99, and you'll see another B97 soon in next Mega 2009 (against Madina). We work on openings.

But because there is Fritz, databases and our brain, some of us feel that strategic explanations are the way to go these days (as opposed to 10-15 years ago).

What I was trying to say is that I considered main line Botvinnik kind of unplayable and your book didnot change that assessment.

You want to take in some other way? Up to you, I end the matter here

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Fernando Semprun

Be nice to others. Life
is to be enjoyed!

Reply #48 - 04/03/08 at 13:35:55
Post Tools
Justinhorton wrote on 04/03/08 at 06:41:29:
To Justin Horton: Benasque games don't get published policy of the organiser after 2000. Before nice Bulletins were published...

Well, he is just difficult. He also wanted to reduce thinking time to 120 min (entire game) and even 90 min, I pointed out that to play benasque one normally takes 10 days from work, travels there and is there basically for the chess game. He just said that organisers could not make it for dinner at the Gran Hotel (which is untrue). So for me it is a pity because before one could watch fantastic GM games when they still had time to think. Now (as you know) one can just about see the time scramble.

The only thing that saved us (I still prefer the 2hr + 1hr) was that results would not count for GM or IM norms. Other wise  Cry

Fernando Semprun

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #47 - 04/03/08 at 06:41:29
Post Tools

IP Logged

Matemax
God Member

Chesspub gives you strength!

Reply #46 - 04/03/08 at 06:28:52
Post Tools
Quote:
I should also add that we may need less analysis (there is Fritz, databases and lack of memory at the board anyway!) and more strategic explanation of overall plans and moves

Smiley absolutly right!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo