Latest Updates:
Normal Topic NEW BOOK: Seven Ways to Smash the Sicilian (Read 1861 times)
trw
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: NEW BOOK: Seven Ways to Smash the Sicilian
Reply #2 - 07/22/08 at 22:47:47
Post Tools
I dunno.. it doesn't sound like a cure 'all' it sounds like an orientation book.

The field in book publishing that seems most wide open still to me is the 'orientation book' example someone wants to switch from 1.d4 to 1.e4 or vice versa. This requires an intimate knowledge of scenarios they probably know nothing about. It is hard to just say 'I will learn this by the experience of 100s of otb losses." Having a book that will orient someone to a new reportoire's ideas and key middlegames, sacrifices, traps/tricks, mainlines is essential. It is not a cure all but a starting point to avoid some nasty experiences.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Re: NEW BOOK: Seven Ways to Smash the Sicilian
Reply #1 - 07/22/08 at 22:13:54
Post Tools
Methinks you may be too fixated on the latest (forthcoming) cure-all book(s) ...

IP Logged

notyetagm

I love ChessPublishing.com!

NEW BOOK: Seven Ways to Smash the Sicilian
07/22/08 at 21:11:22
Post Tools
http://www.everymanchess.com/display.php?id=491

This book looks stupendous! It is exactly what I need, as I am actually stupid enough to follow McDonald's recommendation in Starting Out: 1 e4! and play the Open Siclian.

Seven Ways to Smash the Sicilian
Yury Lapshun Nick Conticello

One of the main reasons the Sicilian is the most popular opening is that is it promotes such bold and aggressive chess. But as White it's not enough just to attack; you must do so in the right way, using the appropriate weapons. In this book Yury Lapshun and Nick Conticello introduce, categorize and analyse the 'Seven Deadly Sacrifices' White has at his disposal. It's impossible to play Open Sicilian positions with either colour without an intimate knowledge of these sacrifices, and by using illustrative games the authors teach you everything you need to know, including the vital skill of how to recognize when favourable sacrificial conditions arise.

*The ultimate guide to Sicilian bashing

*Covers main lines of the Sicilian

*Includes a feast of entertaining games and violent sacrifices

Published June 2009 EU, July 2009 US | ISBN 9781857445954
Format Paperback, 192 pages

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo